1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Okay...I'm going to once again TRYYY to come out to everybody

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Emmanuella, May 2, 2014.

1. Emmanuella

on Facebook. HOW do I do this?

I already changed my "interested in" section to add women... NOBODY noticed. because seriously... who checks that part of anyone's page??

2nd attempt: I re-blogged (shared.whatever.) One of those "so-relatable"-type photos saying " Yes I am bisexual. No I am not attracted to everyone I know". ...or something along those lines. EVERYBODY that I brought it up to thought I was just posting it as "support to a friend" or something. Apparently I'm SO GIRLY that even after posting about being bi, people couldn't possibly believe it!?!? (And I'm really not THAT feminine?!)

So anyhow, what now? I don't want to post make it a status update...maybe another picture of some sort? An equality sign as my profile picture? Has anyone else come out through facebook? How did it go?

2. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

You have already checked off the "interested in" section and blogged about it. I'd say you've done all you can. If people don't believe that you are bisexual, it's their problem. You know who you are, that's all that matters:slight_smile:

3. TheOtherGuy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want everybody to know everything so fast. If you tell your close friends, the rest will find out.

Are you in a rush? Because then that's a different matter... You can always write a really long text post about it being challenging etc...

4. RvP

RvP

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Idk if your really 27 because your profile pic looks young tbh. Instead of posting a pic just type it you can even put capital letters or just type it as a comment if someone post something.

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Why not just let it be for now. You have done a couple of things that will get people's attention at some point. That said, with the amount of pictures used to make a statement or say something, in particular when it comes to causes or support for different groups on facebook these days, it's possible that the message got lost.

I wouldn't post another picture, rather I would just make the statement to get people's attention. :slight_smile:

6. PrincessEliza

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Go up to them in real life, not just the internet, and tell them in person, one by one. Hopefully they'll eventually understand that your not just being supportive, you actually are bisexual

7. Jorgim

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, you need to do this in real life, and ask people to spread it if you don't feel like telling everyone yourself, otherwise nobody notices or takes you seriously.

8. newfish

Why is her age important to the thread? And why would she lie?

I would say that if people are really ignoring it, tell the people close to you in person/mention it in casually in group conversation and then maybe just do another relatable post/share to make it clear for everyone else. Anyone that matters will know. I came out in person to 3 people, then did the "Interested In," mentioned it casually to a few people, and I'm pretty sure only like 5 people actually know for sure still. The sharing a post is a good idea, I'll have to use it.

9. Gort

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So, I recently came out via Facebook. I had been thinking about it for a while since I moved about a year ago and a lot of my close friends are scattered across the globe. What ended up happening was the political opposition in my home province attempted to pass a law to make it such that schools couldn't prevent the formation of gay-straight alliances, and it was voted down. So I posted a long rant about it, and at the beginning wrote that I was gay. It actually went really well, and as far as I know I didn't get unfriended by anyone. (That said, I also know of someone who used to live in a super-conservative religious community who occasionally gets massive anti-gay pushback on his postings, so there is that potential.)

If it's important to you, and you are reasonably sure people will be supportive or are willing to deal with the risk of people not being supportive, I say go for it, and just be super clear about it.

10. Emmanuella

Yes, I am really 27 and my age is rather irrelevant to my question! :dry: I am quite aware I have a young face...it's something that is frequently pointed out and causes me enough problems IRL. But thanks for asking :bang: :bang:

ANYHOW, the reason I want to "try" coming out, once AGAIN is that I'm sick of feeling like I'm being deceptive when not-so-close acquaintances, friends and relatives ask questions about guys, dating marriage etc... yes, I have some interest in guys, but not a whole lot. Most of my dating/interests have been female, and I find these conversations with family members to be quite awkward and even frustrating.
    I have reached the point where I just want it to be "known" that I like women. I

I don't want to have "that conversation" with each of my aunts, uncles and cousins. #1) I do not like to draw attention to myself in that way. #2)I am too much of a wuss! If they want to reject me, I'd rather it not be to my face. I can deal with a few people unfriending me.

Yes, I am scared of coming out to everybody, and no, I am not in a rush. I am just tired of being in the closet, and wish I could be more open with EVERYBODY I know.

Gort, I was thinking of dong/posting something along those lines. Posting something political maybe...without necessarily "outing" myself right away. It would give me an idea of where people on my page stand on the issue.

I guess Facebook isn't the best way to be direct with people. Maybe if I just mention something in passing (to certain family members or friends), word would slowly spread. So far though, my friends have been loyal and they keep quiet. They are not the gossipy types, for the most part.

...yeah, I realize I'm rambling and have made no progress here :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. Gort

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Curse your non-gossipy friends!

It sounds like you have some similar motives to what I had. For what it's worth, I'll post what I wrote in the event it might be helpful.