1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Ohio Marriage Amendment

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Whiteboymdew, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Whiteboymdew

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't understand how this will get 385,245 signatures by July 3. We are in March. I also can't see how this will pass on a popular vote. I know public opinion has moved on this, but I don't think it has reached for passage.

I do support the effort because it is the only way to get marriage equality in the state of Ohio because of the marriage amendment. I am just questioning the timing of this proposal. I understand that we won 4 statewide battles in Washington, Maine, Maryland, and defeated the marriage amendment in Minnesota. I can't see it winning in Ohio just yet.

What do you guys think?

http://www.marionstar.com/article/20130303/NEWS01/303030022/Same-sex-marriage-might-Nov-ballot

2. SkyDiver

Re: mm

I think they should save their time and money until at least after June, when the SCOTUS will rule on SSM. I also don't think Ohio is quite ready to vote on it.

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

You'd be surprised.. there is a recent poll out that said the around 60 percent of Ohioians support the freedom to marry. The key is the large metropolitan areas and large college campuses. It's a lot like the Obama re-election campaign. I also think that the provision that allows churches to deny preforming gay marriages will win some voters over.

Also, even if DOMA is struck down, individual states still have to vote to allow gay marriage. (At least that's what I'm hearing. Some say that gay marriage would become legal everywhere after it is struck down. It really depends on the source.)

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

It depends on how far the Court goes. If it rules DOMA is unconstitutional on federalist (state's rights) grounds, then it will mean virtual nothing, as it will merely mean that each state can decide whether to recognize same-sex marriage.

So Washington marriages will be federally recognized, and other states would be required to recognize them per the privileges and immunities clause, but I will still be banned from getting married in Montana.

If on the other hand they rule that DOMA is unconstitutional on the basis of the Equal Protection and Due Process clauses, then it will mean that same-sex marriage is constitutionally required. I am hoping--but not exactly holding my breath--that the Court will make that step.

5. Re: mm

I think Ohio has the votes to legalize and if it does it would be a huge deal to the rest of us, Ohio plays a major role in national (especially presidential) politics and polys are always weary of how Ohio seems to feel on issues.

6. Whiteboymdew

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

If you have a link to that recent poll I would love to see it. Also, PPP has polled this I don't think it ever got higher than 39% I can't remember the last time I saw a poll on it. So, that might be a bit old.

Also regarding DOMA I personally believe the individual states will have to decide the issue. I feel like they will rule that is a state issue, but the federal government MUST recognize those marriages.

Yeah, I mean like I think they will rule state issue on this one. It will be interesting to see how strong the ruling is, I mean if there is a good and positive ruling. I mean, its going to be a lot of debate and expectation of what will be ruled on and what the arguments will be and the basis of the ruling and support.

7. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

I will need to find a link to this survey. I've only seen the paper version of it. (We read it in one of my classes in college.) So, if I can find the link for it, I will provide it for you.

8. stephenjack

I think it would pass...but if we wanted to make a statement like it passing with 60% of the vote or something, we'd have to wait for a presidential election year, when liberal and democratic voter turnout is the highest.

9. animequeen567

I think it would pass too. It would also be really awesome since I like in Ohio! :grin:

10. Whiteboymdew

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have a poll from 7/3/12.
    Do you think same-sex marriage should be
    legal or illegal?

Legal = 37%
    Illegal = 50%
    Not Sure = 14%

If I breakout the Not Sure group. I find that 16% of Democrats are not sure about legalizing marriage and I find that 20% of Independents are not sure about it.

Also the only age group to support it was 18-29. I mean its an older poll and I believe a new one will be released by PPP soon, but if you would like to read it.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2011/PPP_Release_Miscellaneous_OH_062812.pdf

I can't see this getting 60% I mean Ohio has been leaning a bit blue, but I still consider it a major swing. I mean the turnout for this upcoming election could be large because they would like to defeat the Republican Governor.