1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oh those stereotypes...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Obliteratrix47, Oct 14, 2021.

1. Obliteratrix47

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Man... People are still accusing others for dressing up as the opposite sex. People need to stop judging others just because someone doesn't like masculine things (if it's a man), or even feminine things (if it's a woman). There are men that are so masculine that they're still not attracted to women. And the same goes to women that are super feminine and attracted to women. Same goes for the straight people that dress up as the opposite sex. Women can at tough and do sports and still be straight. Men can paint their nails, wear skirts and be straight. Really, people need to stop making those assumptions. I'm a heterosexual female and I can act masculine. People can do whatever they want and it's nobody's business. Period.

There's a great video I think you might like:

2. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Society likes to stereotype the LGBT community, but if you observe heterosexual people closely enough you can see how so many of them are trying to conform to stereotypes too. The world is full of men who are outwardly trying to project the alpha male image, even though they are a catastrophic mess inside. All of their vulnerability is being suppressed and buried in order to maintain appearances.

3. Obliteratrix47

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Somebody should make awareness.

4. caden0803

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The man in this video has the same personal interests I do. Despite the fact, I’m someone who identifies as gay or at least bisexual. Still, I don’t associate those personal interests with what I label as my sexuality. Even from a young age I never cared for things you would typically associate with masculinity. If anything I assist my overall personality more towards femininity. That doesn’t mean I can’t call myself a man who happens to express feminine type qualities. I call complete idiocy on the whole idea people can’t express who they truly are because they’ll be judged for it too.

5. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you for saying this. Society seems to think that a lot of progress has been made in this area. I'm more of a pessimist and I don't see all the progress other people see.

I still see a lot of people who are into the packaging that comes with being young and middle aged men and women. The men might meet at a sports bar, drink beer, and talk conservative politics. The women might meet for lunch, talk about their hobbies, and discuss their children and their involvement with school and civic activities. I can easily see some of these people shutting out people who weren't packaged like they are. No big loss. But I have noticed where they start conversing with me like I might be into their groove when I'm not, and they realize that, they seem to get disappointed and even a little hostile. But I already knew this, so I never "checked in" to the situation - not even considering people like this as possible friends.

There are always a few exceptions where you have people that are packaged but have some wiggle room in the kinds of friends they keep. That shows good character on their part.

I'm more of a mix and match when it comes to these sorts of attributes and interests. I have some of the typical guy interests and I lack others. I do not try to fit into the package at all. If people don't like my mix and match aspects, I don't care and it's too hard to pretend you're interested just to go along. However, it can cause some problems in work and social situations if those folks are the majority.

People who are gender non-conforming have a tough road because of others. It's sad that it is this way. I totally agree with the message in the original post. People need to butt out.

6. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah. Unfortunately.

I don't get the hostility part, but it happens...

7. Obliteratrix47

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, it's not uncommon to hear that many feminine men are gay/bi, or butch women that are lesbians/bi. It's sad that straight people that dress and act like the opposite sex are the minority. If there was enough representation of straight men wearing dresses with their high heels or even straight women wearing fancy suits and shoes, then things would be a lot easier for them to be themselves. They need that kind of representation.

8. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As for clothes, I think that once you're no longer a teenager, there is a smaller need to dress a certain way and most people just stick with conventions, because it's easy. Or stick with what is comfortable, hence women around 30 will wear longer skirts, lower heels, thicker tights and less makeup and jewelry.

9. Obliteratrix47

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    But there are some women that don't want to wear longer skirts, lower heels or even thicker tights.

10. tidalpool127

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People should be allowed to express as much femininity and/or masculinity as they want to, be that with clothing or anything else. I really only know American society, but here we will have to change how we feel about femininity and masculinity. Masculinity is seen as being emotionless and strength through domination(even though this is not how actual alpha animals act in nature, they are very firm but usually fair and do everything for the good of the pack) and femininity is seen as nurturing and caring yes, but also as inherently weak which is very incorrect. The majority of the strongest people I know are women.

11. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not saying there aren't any people who want to dress a certain way. My point is that people are lazy and/or exhausted, and maybe this is why these stereotypes continue to exist.

12. Obliteratrix47

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I really don't understand people in general.

13. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There’s also availability of clothes to consider, which is probably most noticeable in clothes for younger children, which is nearly all very stereotypically gendered. But, even with teenagers and adults, you’re limited to an extent by what’s available.