1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

offended by an emotion/mood

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Zac4, Mar 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zac4

lmao

greggers not the same. some1 call u gay now,. unless u r out, they mean it as an insult.
    hows it feel to be called a fag? or to some1 black, a ni--a?
    thats how it feels for mainstream america to use the word emo like it just means u r depressed/dark. whatever. it doessnt mean that and u should pick another word.

2. Greggers

How is it not the same? It seems the exact same to me.

You cant change the fact Emo is being used to represent something other than the original meaning. I know it sucks, you may not like it, but its a new meaning of an old word and im afraid its here to stay.

However i dont get what you want us to do. Emo can have different meanings, just like gay, just like alot of other words. What should we do about this?

3. Zac4

id just like the word changed to emotional if thats what u meam. or put a dark emoticon on there.
    another word that means what u mean it to mean.
    k?

4. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    the thing is you can't change if your gay or if your black
    you can change how you dress and do your hair tho so those comparisons aren't the best

5. Greggers

I think that could be a reasonable suggestion, take i up with a mod

6. Zac4

never said that. i was asked to xplain

and i dont care how u dress, if u dress emo or whatever. every1 to his own thing man.
    but puttin it up there like its a temp mood, that bothers me. maybe its not like that all over the US but in the big cities i lived in thats how it is.

7. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Lol I love this topic~

8. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    but to some it is a temp mood, and that's just how they feel. I'm sure they acknowledge some take it more seriously but they just feel "emo" for a bit
    live and let live

9. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

So does that mean I can act emo for a while and not be permanently emo?

So can I be gay for a little while then never be gay again?

10. Greggers

lol do you only like topics that are heated debates? you would be really good on a debate team or something, id look for a debate style forum to get some of that pent up debating out.

11. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    No because being gay isn't a choice, following emo culture is. however you can act gay for a bit (as in act stereootypical)

12. Greggers

Its ALL about how you view that word.

I have my straight friends that say they have "gay days". It does not offend me, because all that means to them is that they had a very flamboyant day (maybe because of a movie they watched or a place they went to, something like that) and thats ALL it means to them, and i get that.

I think emo is the same thing in this case. If i have a really sad day, i might say im acting emo. Im sorry if that offends anyone who is emo, but i can assure you that im not meaning to negate someone who is an emo by saying it. (just like the example above)

13. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

I tried that earlier. Thank god for MArtin. He cleared it up for me.

"We're a support forum, not a debate and discussion site."

I'm pretty good at debate. No, I just talk more in heated ones. They're more interesting usually. But the debate teams are over things that are usually of no concern to me. lol

You're not so bad yourself Greggory. :wink: (!)

14. biisme

Words do not have inherent meaning. They are given their meaning by society. As was said earlier, one of the meanings on 'gay' is 'stupid'. It's a derrogatory meaning, it's insulting, but it is a meaning nonetheless. If people hear the word and recognize what the person communicating, then that is a valid (whether or not it's harsh, rude, or infuriating) meaning. And, since some people recognize 'emo' as a mood, then that is a valid meaning. Maybe not to you, but to them it is. A meaning does not have to be universal.

#34 biisme, Mar 15, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  15. Greggers

yea i found that too. My highschool debate team was fun and all, and i was good at it, but sadly the topics were all...shit, heh.

16. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

I agree. You would be my number one Nemesis but Corina is better at debating. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: She's like the Darth Vader of debate. You're kinda like the Darth Maul. :wink: (!)

17. Zac4

depends on how u feel bout bashing. not gay bashing. im talkin bout whats goin on in the world now.

wiki/google emo bashing. u'll get a ton of hits n some hard to watch videos.

guess mainstream didnt like the 'mood' every1 was in huh?

18. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

How would any video be hard to watch? Lol Sources please. :slight_smile:

Mainstream doesn't like gays either but I'm not going to disappear Mace Windu.

19. Zac4

BTW_

we lite candles and sacrifice chickens

lmao

20. Greggers

Emo bashing is there and it sucks, but its got nothing to do with people bashing others in for being "in an emo mood". Emo bashing happens because people are intolerant of anyone who looks, acts or thinks differently then them.

People bash...
    different genders, different sexualities, different races, different political groups, different religious groups, and the list goes on and on.

The bottom line is, everyone is a target for bashing. White people get bashed in because they are white, even though they are mainstream. Christians get bashed in because they are Christian, even though they are mainstream.

The topic on hand though is the word "emo" being used as a mood offends you, and people are saying that its really not meant to be used in an offensive way. I suggest opening a poll thread on the subject and asking who else is offended by it. If enough people are, im sure they will change the mood or even delete it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.