1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Odd, opposite gender, quirks.

Discussion in 'Fun and Games' started by valon, Apr 21, 2013.

1. valon

valon Guest

Hi, so I was thinking, what's your opposite gender quirk? What do I mean you say? What is one or two things that you do that almost completely go against your gender (or main interests).

For example: I'm a male, and I'm very masculine and don't enjoy a lot of girly stuff. But, I'm slowly beginning to become obsessed with....nail polish. :eek: In all colors from black to white to glitter to hot pink.

Is this a quirk? What are some things that you do that would normally go against your gender or what you would normally do.

Do you have any?

2. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

As far as going against my assigned gender (male), my biggest one is probably wearing a kilt. A lot of people try to rescue me from my femininity by trying to reclaim non-bifurcated (not cut in two) leggings for men on my behalf, saying things like, "Real men wear kilts," and "It takes balls to wear a kilt," but honestly, the only reason I don't wear a skirt is because they don't have pockets. A bit part of the reason I wear it is because it's vaguely feminine (but vague enough that I'm less likely to get beat up for wearing it).

As for going against my gender identity, it's kinda hard to do that when my gender is the metaphorical equivalent of "meh". :slight_smile:

3. ameliawesome

this is actually a difficult question to answer, haha, because i really feel like a blend of genders/not attached to any particular gender. but i'll answer anyway :slight_smile: i am physically female, and i love to wear mens neckties. i also love to wear clothing that looks like mens formal wear but fits my female body, ya know?

4. FruitFly

Seemingly my love of insects, spiders and other such things goes against what people consider to be typical for women. Especially floral dress wearing, makeup loving women.

Not sure it goes completely against the fact I'm a woman though, I think people just struggle with the concept of there being a woman who doesn't freak out when a spider appears from nowhere.

5. OutwardSmiles

Well, this probably isn't very fair because I'm wondering if I may be gender fluid, but....

I have a lot of different things I do that go against my gender, but the one that's easiest to explain is probably the fact that I use men's soap. I use female shampoo, but the soap I use is one of those natural kinds that smells all manly and stuff. I can't help it; it just smells too good. When I got it, I was with my mother at a stand where they were selling natural soaps but most of them smelled feminine, so my mom gave me this really weird look when I decided to pick out one of the most manly smelling ones rather than one of the dozens of flowery smelling ones. Lol

6. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The only thing I can think of is sometimes I will wear women's sweatpants. Like the ones that flare out at the bottom. I just like the way they fit. Other than that, I don't really do anything that feminine.

7. Niko

Something feminine...hmm, I shave my legs once in a while. :T I just like the smooth skin feeling I get from it. I also get overwhelmed with happiness when I see something cute and fluffy. :lol:

Other than that, I'm not sure.

8. Hexagon

I like to cook a bit, if that can be considered feminine. And I have pierced ears

9. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Using a fan.
    Liking to cook (though not being stellar at it).
    Sitting with crossed knees.
    Walking from my hips and on front of my feet. (Far more balanced)
    Being a romantic (yes this is actually considered feminine by some people I know)

But really, there are few, probably no things I would really consider as belonging to one particular gender(expression).
    In my experience, most of the time when people find something feminine, what they actually mean is that it's not masculine or rather, 'manly'. Sort of ingrained heterosexism and/or homophobia.

10. Black Swan

I don't freak out at anything at all. Spiders, darkness, tight spaces... I'm less scared than most of my guy friends. Ironically, I find masculine women and effeminate men attractive.

11. eatsleepclimb

I can't stand nail polish or makeup. Also, this is weird but my singing voice is very low. I used to be a tenor before I joined a girls singing group and had to sing higher.

12. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Where to start? I prefer drama to action, humanities to science; can't stand having short hair; find most sports bo-ring; actually have an easier time understanding women than men; am naturally sensitive, gentle, and pacifist; I shave more than just my face; have a mild obsession with foreign pop music; don't mind being mistaken for the opposite gender anymore

13. Mysz

I adore ties, and bowties. I have a problem with not being able to find any men's suit or jacket in something that will fit me, however.

I admit that I have beard envy. Like, those braided Viking-style ones or scruffy Clint Eastwood kinds. :slight_smile: I like being less hairy than men, but I wish that women at least had the physical ability to grow a beard if they wanted.

14. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Quite frankly, enjoying action over drama makes for a rather boring person. An intricate and well written plot is many times better than unrealistic explosions and unexplained chases. And I agree, most sports are intolerable.

15. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've lately had more and more interest in nail polish, cute clothes in bright colors (never given a damn about fashion except for camo/military for airsoft hehe), and accessories. Otherwise, you'd never know I'm slightly queer. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

16. Winfield

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    somthing that goes opp my gender?

i shave my legs coz it helps me when surfing or playing sport (i get faster)
    i have my ears pierced but dont wear anything on it these days (i work in corporate)
    i like to hook up with boys (im bisexual)

thats all i can come up with so far, i had to think deep and hard for this one

17. madi

This goes against my size and gender, I can sing really low and I am a rather short and skinny bubbly girl so It weirds people out.
    I am also into video games and really gory gross things yet I wear dresses and skirts more often than pants

18. Music Madness

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I am exactly the same! Though I'd love the ability to grow a bit of stubble (as I find it so sexy :icon_wink)! (!) I just wish I had the confidence to wear mens formal wear (I've often thought about it, but I think I would be a bit too embarrassed to go into a shop and buy some... does anyone have any suggestion how maybe I could do it?), but I have a large frame (I'm talking big bones, not fat - though there is nothing wrong with being fat! :icon_bigg ... In fact I used to be quite large.) and while I don't think that deep down I'd have too much issue with being mistaken as a guy (well... maybe at first I'd have an issue with it, but after I while I think I'd get used to it, and be okay with it), over the years my best friend has sort of tried to lead me away from that kind of thing (more I think because of my height and bone size, rather than any sexuality-type-phobia-thing). - Since finding this website, I've actually started to wonder if maybe I maybe slightly gender-bending (I have no idea which type yet), but considering that I'm only recently accepting myself as bi, I don't want to overwhelm myself with too much all at once... so once I've come to terms with this a bit more, then I'll explore what type gender-bending thing I am.

I am also totally obsessed with anything fantasy or sci-fi (and I'm not talking about stuff that is Twilight styled (though I don't mind it occasionally, when I'm in the mood)... I mean more like Stargate, Star Wars, and anything Spielberg related, etc.)! :grin:

I also feel more confident with short hair, though strangely it makes me feel more like a woman than a man... But having long hair makes me feel like an imposter!:confused2:
    I also hate styling my hair, wearing makeup (except for eyeliner), and clothes shopping (seriously I LOATHE it!!!) - but in terms of being girly, I am obsessed with shoes, accessories, and bags, lol! :grin: I also dress in a more tomboy style, and generally dislike wearing skirts (which I hate) or dresses (which I used to detest with an UNBRIDLED passion, but thanks to the annoying influence of my friends (LOL!(!)), I'm actually starting to like :icon_bigg).

I'm also naturally quite handy, and love to help my dad fix stuff and all of that kind of thing.

I can't think of any other "typically manly" type stuff that I do, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was more! :eusa_danc

19. ameliawesome

my dad used to let me wear his buttoned shirts and neckties when i was in high school :slight_smile: i do make and alter some of my clothing items, and i do find plenty of clothes that are made to fit women but styled like menswear, that's probably what i prefer most often.

and how could i forget: i do not shave my armpit hair! i'll trim it when it gets too wild, but i love my armpit hair, even when i'm wearing a girly sundress! though i pluck a lot of hairs out of my face/neck, hahaha so i guess i do not have beard envy.

i love to be mistaken for a guy. it has only happened maybe 2 or 3 times that i can remember, but i totally love it every time lol.

20. Oddish

Oddish Guest

If I don't shave my legs in a while I start to feel dirty.. but it makes me feel pretty feminine when I do so. I still feel better anyway and the feeling of shaved legs on clean sheets is the best.

Can I say that I still enjoy perfume and various fragrances aimed towards a female demographic? Especially the fruity scents like Marc Jacobs. I am a fruit.