1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OB/GYN visits as a closeted trans male?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by ShyTaco, Mar 22, 2018.

1. ShyTaco

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm due for my first gynecology appointment in several weeks and I'm both terrified and extremely grossed out.

I have no idea what to expect, and on top of that I'm a closeted trans man; I've mentioned being transgender to my mom, but she does not support me and brushed it off as a phase. No matter how I try to discuss it with her, she refuses to even try to understand that things like this make me uncomfortable.

I live in a pretty conservative area, and in a place where you can be denied service due to being transgender. I have no idea how open-minded this doctor is.

Should I mention to the gynecologist that I'm trans? If so, how do I even go about doing that? Would she be obligated to out me to my mom? Also, what should I expect?

2. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It would probably be best not to if you think you can get through it, since you don't know how open-minded they are and could be denied service for it.

She would not be obligated to out you to your mom though, and that may actually be illegal due to doctor-patient confidentiality laws - I'm not sure whether transgender stuff is covered under that though since it's still pretty new.

3. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why would you mention to your gyno that you're trans if you're not taking treatment like HRT or surgeries? They don't care how you feel or identify or whatever. It's a physical exam.

As for gyno. It is unpleasant, but you'll live. All that happens is that the doctor takes a look at your bits. And then, they might do an ultrasound. And ask you questions like "Do you menstruate regularily?"