1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not sure how to apologize for this one...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by MusicIsLife, Mar 28, 2013.

1. MusicIsLife

So idk what the hell is wrong with me lately but I seem to have lost my ability to be tactful and not be a complete douchebag to my friends.

So I was talking to my straight female friend about how I had found out one of our favourite actors is bisexual and I was really happy about it. It turned into this debate about how she refused to believe it if it wasnt in writing, and how she believed that ANY queer person of celebrity status MUST be vocal for gay rights and they are wasting their celebrity status if they're not doing that.

I tried to explain to her that not everyone wants to be a vocal/political/whatever advocate for gay rights and they just want to live their life in peace but she would have none of it and kept saying things like, "well they are advocates for x, y and z why not this too" and I gave her every example in the book and she just didnt seem to get why some people dont want to broadcast their sexuality.

As nicely as I could, I said the following, "Well you don't get it because you're not queer." in hindsight, i probably should have kept my mouth shut bc after that she got really quiet, told me she wasnt changing her mind and the conversation ended.

We've had debates like this before about various subjects where I display either facts or in this case opinions and it just turns into us talking at each other instead of taking from each other and learning. I know I should not have said what I said, and though i did apologize (ie, "Im really sorry theres no nice way to say this, but..."/"I'm really sorry.") and she seemed okay, something tells me shes probably still pissed. Should I let it be and let her cool off, or should I rephrase myself again?

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I have the feeling that you are over-thinking it a little bit. Everyone has a subject on which they have strong opinions and/or are passionate about. Sometimes it happens that things get a little bit out of hand. Just because she got really quiet doesn't necessarily mean she is pissed. It is possible that your answer to her statements made her think a little about her own view points or statements.

Not all conversations will be conversations where each of you will learn something or take something away from. Given that the conversation ended and it seems that the subject hasn't been brought up again, I'd say just let some time pass and let it be. :slight_smile:

3. ameliawesome

it's rarely fun to fight with friends, it could be that your friend seems pissed because she just plain didn't want to be fighting, ya know? i agree that sometimes you have to be a certain type of person to understand a certain point, this example being that you'd have to be lgbt-related to understand why someone wouldn't want to use their celebrity status to promote activism. celebrity or not, people are people. i'd say this is something you should just let go. ultimately it isn't really important, is it? it's not like she herself can force celebrities to do anything. it's not like there could ever be a law that requires lgbt celebrities to become political activists.