1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Not just males who abuse in religion

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by DirectionNorth, Jan 5, 2019.

1. DirectionNorth

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
  2. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is definitely news to me. I've grown up in the Catholic faith, so I have heard numerous stories about abusive priests, but never any about nuns.

I should say I'm surprised, but once I read the article, a part of me thought "well, obviously nuns are just as capable as doing something like this, even though it's unheard of."

The whole sex abuse scandal is one of the things that makes me embarassed to be a Catholic. I do hope one day the Church can reform and get rid of all the abusers.

3. DirectionNorth

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ikr?? It's really sick. Honestly, I'm not surprised- upset and angry and horrified for the victims- but not surprised. I know, first hand women are capable of these things, it was a female nurse who sexually abused me. But, back to this, I had no idea either, which I guess is how it could go on for so long.

4. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Humans are animals and as such really must have sex. (just like all the other animals on this planet) Not having sex builds up "the pressure cooker" until is explodes. From the article: "The demands of chastity and celibacy are unrealistic demands for many of us," Dispenza said."

My reflection. Yup. Agree Unrealistic

#4 brainwashed, Jan 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  5. DirectionNorth

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Exactly this!

6. Nordland

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unsurprising, the Catholic nuns in northern and the Republic of Ireland treated women who had babies out of marriage appallingly (if you're in the UK here's a good radio programme on it, idk if you can access it elsewhere in the world https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/b0b3cw3m). I would also look up Smyllum Park Orphanage (https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...e-catholic-nuns-children-mass-grave-allegedly). Here in the UK and Ireland there have been a lot of high profile cases of nuns abusing children. Also in Australia there were over 150,000 cases of babies being forcefully put up for adoption by the Catholic Church after being taken away from their mothers by nuns from 1950-70 (https://www.theguardian.com/society...-role-in-forced-adoptions-over-30-year-period). It's amazing what people do in the name of religion

#6 Nordland, Jan 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  7. TXTurbo90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Is it really surprising to anyone that most religions are filled with pedophiles? At a certain point we need to wake up from this madness and realize that organized religion (especially Catholicism) is a synonym for child abuse. Its only a story that shows up almost every week and has for decades...

8. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    [​IMG]
    Shirley Phelps. Need I say more?

9. TXTurbo90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    But what would the world be without this closeted nut-job running around screaming that God hates fags under the guise of religion? :joy:

10. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's grossly unfair and exaggerated to say that most religions are "filled" with paedophiles. There are many millions of people of faith who would take great exception to such a sweeping generalisation. Admittedly, there are elements within all religions (and none) who are guilty of terrible crimes against children and vulnerable people and there is no sense in denying it, but to suggest that religion, organised or not, is somehow synonymous with child abuse is both absurd and inaccurate. The heinous actions of a minority do not and should not taint the majority.

11. DirectionNorth

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Agree. And not to mention, I can sort of understand the generalization to an extent because, I think, the media plays it up. Not that it isn't disgusting of course, not to mention traumatizing, but it happens everywhere, not just religion. Unless it's a weird cult that legitimately happens to be all about sexual abuse(they're out there), religions in general don't only consist of abuse. I'm not saying it doesn't happen alot, there is no denying it happens and does need to be dealt with, it is dangerous to get into sweeping generalizations about all organized religions. And I'm not standing up for any religion and trying to defend any religion, I think every religion has these things, as well as many other things I don't agree with that don't have to do with the hidden sexual abuse.

12. TXTurbo90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree I shouldn't say filled, I should say that many religions have a ongoing systematic problem of child rape. With religions such as Catholicism, much of the time it is with the support of the church as they will move them around once they get caught.

My main problem is Catholicism, as it was exposed all the way up to the Vatican that they were aiding and betting child abuse. We should go RICO law (Organized crime) , seize the Vatican (militarily if necessary), and extradite all responsible. With Catholicism, it is to the point where I would see it as immoral to expose your child to it (god forbid you leave them alone with a priest, that should be a charge of reckless child endangerment).

This is the kind of crap that really shows the problem is systematic and well known:

"Throughout the United States, top church officials and lobbyists routinely press state lawmakers not to extend the time frame for prosecutors to bring charges against abusive priests and for victims to file civil suits. There has been no significant relaxation in the church’s opposition to extending statutes of limitations, which vary state to state — not after the revelations, in 2002, of pervasive abuse in Massachusetts, nor after similar exposés in other cities and dioceses."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/tear-down-the-protections-for-pedophile-priests/2018/08/20/f2d6376a-a4ab-11e8-97ce-cc9042272f07_story.html

The church is literally lobbying for laws to protect the priest that they know are raping children. How do you not say that it is a problem that disqualifies the church from being described as being filled with pedophiles? If they are literally lobbying to protect child rapist, that means the group has been permeated to the point of a criminal organization. If there wasn't new stories to report on all the time, you wouldn't see them.

13. DirectionNorth

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I heard that too. I also don't like how the Pope only spoke out about it once he was backed into a corner, he should've spoken right away, but it wasn't until people were demanding his statement. And, yes, at this point with Catholicism, it is systematic, they've had time to discuss ways to deal with it, but only seem to have discussed how to try to be sneakier about it and at what point they have to reach before they quietly resign and move to another church to avoid suspicion. Not to mention the number is just what's been reported, it needs to be assumed the number is higher for the ones who weren't reported or scared their victims the right way to really keep them quiet forever.

14. Loves books

I’m Irish and it’s well known how appallingly the nuns treated unmarried mothers in the Magdalene laundries and how their babies were sold to American couples. There is also plenty about the children who were physically abused in the children’s homes in the past, but I don’t think I have ever heard of nuns sexually abusing children. It never occurred to me that it could happen. There aren’t a whole lot of nuns now the vows of poverty, chastity and obedience are too much to ask these days and should have always been too much to ask.

#14 Loves books, Jan 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2019