1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New warning banner.

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Fugs, Jun 6, 2012.

1. caughtbywitness

Ooh, yellow hurty eyes. But fair enough to admins :slight_smile:

2. Ridiculous

3. peanutbutter

This information through PM is ok?

4. Tim

Tim

No more EC on my cell, it seems.

Even after the minimize button is added, my cell doesn't save things like that, so it will be full everytime... and it's like twice the size of the screen of the HTC Evo I use. xD

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is a problem we didn't anticipate. I'll look into it and see what options we might have to fix that. When we upgrade to vb4, it will have an entire mobile application suite but we should be able to come up with a solution before then.

6. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, you can disclose facebook, emails, phone number, etc. via PM or via private chat (not in the main chatroom). We do encourage everyone to be cautious; even though we take extraordinary precautions to try and keep the community safe, it's always a good idea to be very cautious and considered in deciding to share any contact or personal info with anyone, whether here or anywhere else.

7. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

If you look down at the left corner you can see an option that says "mobile" which you can use if you like. Its not the best version (no avatars or "pretty" things), but it doesn't display the banner at all for me.

The only drawback is that I have no idea how to turn it off after you enable since the drop down menu disappears....so tread with caution xD

Edit: Figured it out. At the very bottom it should say "Normal Mode" which should take you, like you would guess, back to normal mode. I couldn't find it on my Itouch because apparently you have to be logged it is displayed.

But yes, there is a mobile version if you want to try it :slight_smile:

8. Harve

I don't see how an internet forum should be responsible for a user's stupidity of sharing contact details publicly, but if EC would be liable, then the warning's obviously completely fair enough.

9. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like it, it's much more effective than the other one

10. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I'm going to ramble a bit (read: what I'm about to write is not being written on behalf of the entire staff).

A few years ago, back before the regular member / full member system existed, there was an incident where one of the site's members was trying to make EXTREMELY inappropriate contact with the younger members (I can't fill you in on the details, since this all predates my time on the staff). If I recall correctly, it could have lead to the site being shut down because of what happened. In order to prevent that from happening again, the regular/full member system was implemented to help us weed out people who are here for the wrong reasons.

The philosophy behind the regular/full member system is that anyone who joins this site only gets access to the private parts of the site (private messages, chat room, etc.) once they've demonstrated that they aren't going to abuse those privileges. As you (hopefully) know, before we grant someone full membership, we require that they be here for at least two weeks and post at least 50 posts. The usefulness of this requirement is two-fold: one, it gives us, the staff, 50 posts' worth of material we can use to judge whether they're here for the right reasons. Two, anyone who is here for the wrong reasons (looking for hook-ups, pedophiles, etc.) are often dissuaded by the two-week/50-posts requirements and will go elsewhere for their purposes.

In short, it's for the safety and well-being of the community. It allows us to keep EC the uniquely wonderful place it is.

However, without the personal information ban (i.e the rule in the big yellow warning), the regular/full member system would have a glaring loophole. If a younger member posted their email address on their profile, a predator could see that and use it to contact the member offsite. If someone had a link to their Facebook profile in their signature, someone who thought they were hot and wanted to hook up with them could get in contact with them on there. That would completely defeat the purpose of the regular/full member system, since it would allow people to contact other members privately before we've had a chance to make sure they're here for the right reasons.

Some might think it's okay to take an "out of sight, out of mind" approach to such loopholes. Some might think, "If the skeezy activity is happening off-site, what does it matter to EC?" To that I say: you, the wonderful members of this wonderful forum, deserve better than a staff who would take such an attitude. :slight_smile:

Edit:
    You mean you actually noticed the other one?! Ach mein gott, I thought it was invisible or something for how often that rule was broken! Good for you! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's less an issue of responsibility and more of potential liability, as well as, frankly, a decision by the then-owners (and now upheld by the board and staff) to keep the community safe.

It is true that if, say, a young teen were to be contacted by an older adult and agreed to meet up with him or her, and something happened and/or parents found out, we could be named in a legal action or something of that nature. So part of the decision is to show that we've taken every reasonable effort (and then some) to make the community safe.

One of the things that makes EC different from just about every other community out there where there are gay people under 18 is that we don't have members here being contacted inappropriately, asked to send nude pics or engage in sexual chat or webcamming. And that's because not only do we make it clear that such behavior is not OK, but we go a step further and make it near-impossible for anyone to get access to PMs without going through a fair amount of effort... and, since every bit of communication can be monitored here, we can immediately tell if someone is behaving inappropriately.

One of the disturbing things to me is, people think that these policies are new. And they aren't at all new. They've been in place since 2008, and there was a banner that preceeded the current one at the top of the page that spelled things out even more clearly and specifically than the current one does. But the fact that people think the policy is new makes it clear that no one was reading the old policy... which is why the annoying new one.

12. Shevanel

Looks good. I think it's silly to complain about such a small issue. First world problems, people. xD

13. Tim

Tim

I despise mobile versions of forums.

I simply won't come on here on my cell anymore, xD No big deal.

Though I feel the need to point out... the last one was text. We couldn't really block it.

The new one is an image. Quite simple to adblock it.

14. Shevanel

And hopefully if you have the ability to adblock it, you most likely read it, or at least know the rules xD

15. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, we're aware of that... and working on a fix. Though as Joey said, if you block it, presumably you've read it :slight_smile: The staff would love it if the warning didn't need to be there at all. But the old one simply wasn't working so.... maybe we'll eventually figure out a way to intelligently detect violations as they're being posted and remind people at the moment. But until then, the main goal is just to cut down on the amount of time the staff spends enforcing policy so we have more time to post and contribute in more meaningful ways :slight_smile:

16. djt820

I laughed. That's the winner way of doing things.

17. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the tip - I just adblocked it as well. And if I break the rules in the future, well then it's my own silly fault isn't it? :slight_smile:

18. Rosina

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Precisely! :thumbsup:

19. Keelin

Adblock just became my best friend. That's the first time I've ever used it.

I think the new banner works great. A little too great. For new members, I think yes, It's helpful, but for people who return often, it is just an eyesore.

20. Rosina

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think it's worth reiterating that the Staff have plans to put in a simple measure that means you can dismiss the the banner and never have to see it again, just wait a for more days and you won't need to worry about adblock :slight_smile: