1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New warning banner.

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Fugs, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Does the new warning banner have to be so obnoxiously giant and yellow? It makes my tail feel twitchy whenever I see it.

2. BudderMC

I was gonna post something about this too. I mean, it's great that it finally has the visibility it deserves, but now it seems really intimidating... maybe unwelcoming?

I dunno, the rest of the (current) layout is, while not exciting, pretty friendly seeming. The banner seems out of place. Think it would be possible to not necessarily tone it down a bit, but find some happy medium?

3. TeeJay

TeeJay Guest

Oh come on... Yellow and red are such wonderful, brite, warm, friendly colors. Why there the colors you see right before you explode, run into a car that frequently stops, get hit by a school bus, get to close to a bon fire, put a part of your body into a machine, lets you know when some moron has an honor role student, etc... And they just want to make sure everyone see's them and knows that there are in fact rules here. ^_^ Because apparently, not everyone is following them. lol

4. Eric

Taken from my post in What Are You Thinking:

There's hopefully going to be an announcement posted about the new banner shortly, but long story short, no one was reading the old one anymore, so we had to go a less subtle route. :slight_smile:

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If we just took away the really bright yellow background I could stand it. I think that people would get the idea from the large font.

6. Ben

Ben

It'll have a minimise button eventually, and as Eric said, there should be an announcement up soon. Due to the rate of people not following the previous big red rule, it's really either demolish the wall altogether or serve up Ronald McDonald on acid for a few days.

There are a few ideas for the future being thrown around, but if you guys can come up with some practical ideas to reduce the amount of members sharing personal information, then please do share them!

7. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'll be okay with it if it has a minimize button. The banner does not load correctly on my phone or my iPad. That might be something to look into...

8. Koll

It's a bit hard on my eyes.

Needless to say, I've already adblocked the image because of that.

9. VireBlaze

... This might sound a bit crazy, but what if you replaced the yellow with black, and switch the black font to yellow/white? It shouldn't be so hard on the eyes, and could still be noticeable. But that's just me and my imagination. >->;

10. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

The banner was designed to be obnoxiously annoying, but the good news is that it won't stay there for ever. Like Ben said, it's really either demolish the wall altogether or serve up Ronald McDonald on acid for a few days.

In a few days there will be a button that will allow you to dismiss it so don't fret too much! :slight_smile:

Also, the announcement is now up!

11. Jonathan

Meh, I can deal with it for a few days then.

The beginning of the announcement is amazing - "You might have noticed..." - You'd have to be like blind to miss it :lol: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My eyes!!!! Good adblocking idea.

13. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's just temporary like this, we'll have a minimize button for it within a few days. I'm sure you guys can handle it. We're just trying to get the point across. :slight_smile:

14. fireworks

fireworks Guest

I dunno, I think the heading could do with being a lil bit bigger...and redder :wink::wink: lool JOKES, PLEASE NO BIGGER! :grin:

15. ArcaneVerse

If it ever gets to the point of having to remove the wall, could you not just make peoples wall only visible to friends or full members instead? Which limits unwanted access but keeps the wall available.

Is it possible to have the wall hidden to non friends\full memebers, but still allow them to able to submit a post? that way it has a bit more freedom for messaging but the same privacy?

Because the issue isnt really the information being put out there, just where its being put and who can view it right?

16. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, it's the information being put out there *at all* in any area other than PMs or private chat. We don't allow any personal information (email, phone, IM, gamer IDs, full names, etc) to be posted on anything that's remotely public, and since regular members can have friends, having personal info on your wall, even if only your friends could see it, would still violate the personal info ban.

But... we don't see the walls going away. We're just trying to get everyone in the community to be more aware of the rules, and to keep an eye out for rule breaks. Asking for information is as bad as sharing it, and not reporting someone who posts personal info on your wall is as bad as posting it yourself. So we're trying to get that across so that the community can continue to be safe, and so the staff can spend more time doing useful stuff instead of banning people who violate the rules because they didn't pay attention.

17. ArcaneVerse

Right so basicly what I said.

ah yeah I forgot only full members could PM, my bad didn't factor that into my suggestion. I shouldn't try to think when im half asleep.XD

18. Porphyrogenitus

19. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's still not loading correctly on my phone or ipad. All I can see is the big yellow part. When I see it on my computer, it shows up just fine.

20. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As much as it's annoying, the point is for EC to protect the community from stealth violent homophobes and sexual predators. Secondarily, it's to minimize EC's liability.