1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New gay who doesn't know the first thing about gay relationships and sex

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by TommyC00, Oct 13, 2021.

1. TommyC00

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As the title says, I have much to learn about gay relationships and sex. What are the main bits of advice yous can give me? I've heard about prep but haven't a clue what that means. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Tommy.....Well, there's a lot to talk about! :old_big_grin: First off, if you think that you will, by any chance be having sex with another person, you should see a doctor about going on Prep. It's has to be done with a prescription from a doctor, but it's absolutely necessary if there is any chance at all that you will be having sex at any time in the near future. Don't blow it off and say there's no chance I'll get with a guy any time soon because you never know what may happen! Second, even if you are on Prep, always use a condom. ALWAYS! It doesn't matter if your partner says that they have never been with anyone else and that they are a virgin...still use a condom. OK after those two things are out of the way, gay relationships aren't really all that much different from straight relationships. You have two people who like each other a lot, but are still two very different people. It's work to make a relationship function. Both people have to be willing to accept the things that the other person does that are different than what he does. It's actually those differences that can bring the two people together into a strong bond that will last. Selfishness is something that is not good for a relationship. Both people need to be willing to be flexible as they learn to work together to make the relationship work. There have been many, many books written on this topic...I'm going to stop right here as I am no expert. I have been married for 43 years and we get along quite well, but no matter how long you've been together, it's a different path for everyone.
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

TommyC00, PatrickUK and FireFox like this.
  3. FireFox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Quebec nailed it so nothing much to add but what I would say is that maybe don't worry about it too much right now, no need to rush into anything. Take it slow baby :wink:

TommyC00 likes this.
  4. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    PrEP is the short name for pre-exposure prophylaxis, a drug taken by HIV-negative people before and after sex that reduces the risk of getting HIV. It does not eliminate the risk of getting HIV or other sexually transmitted infections though, so you should always wear condoms or make sure your sexual partner wears a condom. In the UK, PrEP can be obtained on the NHS through sexual health clinics. Read more here: https://www.tht.org.uk/hiv-and-sexual-health/prep-pre-exposure-prophylaxis

Be wary of significant relationship age gaps at this stage in your life. Age gaps become less significant over time, but for people in their teens or early twenties an age gap of more than a year or two can be quite problematic for a number of reasons. Also bear in mind that dating apps are not always about making dates. Some people do use dating apps for genuine reasons, but many are just looking to hook up for 'no-strings' sex. If you sign up to any apps, you need to bear this in mind.

If there are any gay support or community groups near to where you live it might be a good idea to get in touch with them and make some connections/friends.

TommyC00 and FireFox like this.
  5. TommyC00

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks everyone, you've all given such helpful advice, and as you've said I'll take it slow, do my research, make sure I'm happy and ready before diving in.

FireFox likes this.