1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nervous about joining an LGBT sports group

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by lottaotter, Mar 7, 2022.

1. eron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I’ve been involved with sports participation groups, and regardless if they have a gay or straight focus, you’ll always have the “hard core” few. What I’ve found, however, is that the hard core ones oftentimes also like to teach and share their knowledge. You may want to engage them on the “I’m new, getting into this, and would like to know more” angle. Best way to get people to like you and involve you is to get them to talk about themselves.

2. lottaotter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    At the moment some of them don't even make eye contact with me or reply when I say 'Good morning' so I have quite a long way to go!

I am wondering what I have done so wrong. I went for a run with one of the three people who do talk to me and I mentioned I felt that many people didn't like me. He said I might be overthinking it and that they do tend to be cold and a little unfriendly. I hope he's right and it's not just me.

I struggle to know what to talk to them about since they only talk about very serious running and the gay scene, neither of which of know anything about at all. I can try to ask them about running though- it is a good suggestion.

3. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    He is right and it's not just you.

But stick with it because within that club there will be some people you click with. Honestly, this is what I've found - it can take a while to truly feel at home within a new group. With my current running club it wasn't until a year later that I felt I belonged.

Yup, this is a fairly large part of the conversation when I'm out running with my club - upcoming races, PBs etc etc. And of course jobs and stuff like that. I also find disarming honesty breaks the ice quite well too: when people ask me how I am, I often tell them literally how I'm feeling and this usually opens up a whole new avenue of conversation (and sharing of experience).

lottaotter likes this.