1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nervous about joining an LGBT sports group

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by lottaotter, Mar 7, 2022.

1. lottaotter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I sometimes go running and have been enjoying it more recently.

I saw that there was an LGBT running group that meet one day a week for a '5km (about 3 miles) social run and sometimes go for a coffee afterwards'.

I emailed them and they sent me the link to join their group chat.

It's been three weeks now and I haven't gone (one week it got cancelled and another I had corona). I'm getting more and more nervous about it and really painting negative scenarios in my head about what it'll be like and what the people will be like.

3km is about my limit and so I'm nervous about that. Also the people on the group chat seem quite serious about running and do half marathons and the like. They all seem to know each other and photos I've seen show them to have expensive-looking running kit.

I'm very worried I'm not going to fit in. I thought it would be nice to try to get to know some other gay people, and maybe make new friends in a new town.

The thing that made me feel the worst was that I put a message on the group chat last week that ended up killing the usually lively conversation. No one replied at all. I just said I was still hoping to come for a run but I'd caught corona and wouldn't be able to make it this week. A few other new people on the other hand were given a warm welcome. Group chats really mess me up as they fuel my insecurities about being hated by everyone.

Do you think its a good idea to still go? I'm really worried I'll mess up and be unpopular or weird. It's a shame because this was something I was feeling very proud of myself for contacting them (I would never have had the courage to do that a year ago).

Would it be silly to email the organiser to ask if it's really suitable for beginners? I don't want to seem needy or anxious.

#1 lottaotter, Mar 7, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2022
  2. DragonChaser

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, hey there, sweetie! :smiley_cat: I'm Lydia and I want you to know I very much understand what you're feeling.

I spent a lot of my life in isolation and social interaction is something I'm still getting the hang of, to be honest with you, but I've moved from a place where I'm constantly second-guessing myself and feeling out-of-place or silly for the things I say into a healthier place where I'm more confident and proud of who I am, and I shrug off the little stuff I used to fixate on.

What changed was a lot of things, but primarily it was my perceptions. I would take everything as some grand indication I'd screwed up and everybody hated me now. If some people were talking quietly and I caught a glance from one of them, I assumed it was about me. Same was true of laughing, universally. If I said something and no one replied, I assumed it was because everyone disliked me. If I told a joke and no one laughed, I'd failed, was humiliated, and wanted to leave.

That's born of trauma, for me. I faced a lot of social rejection for a very long time, and so my brain starting noting all the little details that led up to things going wrong, and use those as red alerts that I was being stupid again and no one would ever like me and I'm such a failure, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera...

The problem is, our pattern-seeking brains pick up a lot of false positives. If you tell a joke and someone frowns, yeah, it may be because they didn't like the joke, but it also may be they didn't hear you or it reminded them of something negative or they don't know how to react, or maybe they're just in a bad mood unrelated to you. If you say something and no one answers, it's easy but not logical to assume you're being ignored. People might not know what to say in response or they might intend to say something, get distract, and forget about it or maybe they didn't see it at all.

No offense, but you're not clairvoyant. That is the point; don't make assumptions about other peoples intentions, especially ones you don't know very well. You'll, as you mentioned, drive yourself into a tailspin of insecurity doing that.

Also, there are two things most people really like; someone who is nice and someone who is funny. The latter is harder, but the former just takes some diligence.

Like you were told as a kid, just mind your manners; always say please and thank you, be grateful to others for what they give you even if it's just time, be humble about your achievements and honest about your mistakes, and try to help make everyone feel welcome. Kill them with kindness and you can't lose, even if they're being a jerk to you.

Now, as to your specific situation, should you ask probing yet polite questions about the group and be open about your abilities and goals? Yes. Tell them you're a beginner. Tell them that's a bit much for you right now, but you're still interested in the group because you want to meet other people in the Community. I could almost guarantee they'll probably still be very interested in inviting a new person in.

Most groups like the one you're describing are small and eager for connections, and with good reason; there's security in numbers, especially when you're in the Community. We gotta look out for each other, but I'm straying off topic.

Before you do any of that, though, ask yourself this; am I that into running? If these guys are uber serious marathoners and you just like going up and down the block for a bit of movement, maybe it's not a good fit. Buuuuuuuuuut maybe these uber serious marathoners just want to get together with anyone who likes the same thing - even if it is just someone who likes going up and down the block - to have a light run, make some new friends, and maybe sip a cup of coffee after.

You never know until you're there. If it's not a good fit, oh well, you tried something new and learned something about yourself in the process. Now you have a clearer picture of what you're after. It's only an increment, but you still won. If it is a good fit, though, and you let your worries about being rejected keep you from it, you get nothing but another neural pathway in your brain that reaffirms its "It's better this way, so I don't get hurt" pattern and the proverbial "Wall" we build around ourselves gets another couple bricks taller.

Also, I only ask this because I evangelize for it; do you have a therapist? Someone to talk to, professionally, about these persistent anxieties around social events? Because, and forgive me if I'm overstepping a boundary here, but they seem to be really making you miserable and, while I won't promise you it'll fix it, it can sure make it a lot more bearable. That's just something to think about.

Anyway, I think I've taken up enough of your time. I hope this helps.

Hugs and good vibes to you, darling! :hugging:

#2 DragonChaser, Mar 7, 2022
  3. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yes yes yes yes and yes! Do it.

It's totally totally understandable to feel a bit anxious before you meet a load of new people for the first time. I know I have. Just reading your post had me nodding my head in recognition: 'yes, done all of that. Remember it sooo well'.

In my case it was one dark evening at the end of 2011. I'd found a local running club and had contacted them over the Internet. After umming and ahhing and thinking 'shall I actually do this?' I pushed through, went down there and found only three other people had turned up! But I overcame my shyness and got chatting to them. Ten years later I'm still a member and some of them have been the most supportive, loving people I have had to pleasure to meet.

As for the thing about the message board, it is so so easy to get the wrong end of the stick when you're communicating electronically. In my mind there is simply no substitute to meeting people face to face, talking and sharing each others' stories. So yes, do it.

And please let us know how it goes!

Best of luck, Beth x

#3 chicodeoro, Mar 7, 2022
  4. buzzer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Go! You will never really know until you give it a try.

DragonChaser likes this.
  5. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To quote the title of a well known book.... "Feel the fear and do it anyway."

Nobody goes into a new situation with new people brimming with confidence. Some people are very good at faking it, but they are still paddling away like mad beneath the surface.

Is there a group leader who you can contact privately in advance, just to say how you are feeling? Most group leaders are in the role to support, welcome and increase membership... that's their job!

This 100%. :point_up:

sunbird and LostInDaydreams like this.
  6. lottaotter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi. Thank you for your answer

This is me exactly. There is another volunteering group I joined in the summer, which I no longer go to due to how I was afraid people perceived me (to stupid and too working-class to volunteer on a organic community garden, in that case. And the fact I asked a guy out who turned out to be straight. Wish I could show my face there again...). I also had the same fears at my work that people hated me and thought I was bad at my job, but that has changed and I feel comfy there now. I don't know what the difference was between there and the volunteering place.

I'm sure this makes me sound horrible and big-headed but people have said in the past that I am someone who 'gets on with everyone'. When I left my last job I couldn't believe all the nice things people said to me about me or wrote in my leaving card. I think I do get on with most people, it is just this gnawing doubt in my head all the time that someone might not like me, and that that makes me an evil, bad person.

I am more set on emailing the organiser again. I'm worried I'll be bothering him but I suppose if he gets funny about it then that would at least show that it might not be the best group for me.

I agree that I would be annoyed with myself if i didn't try it at least once. I have done a lot of adult education classes over the years, as well as other things. I almost always have a good time, although I have never made connection that lead to friendship outiside the class.

I have been to different therapists a few times. At the moment I'm not seeing one, but I am thinking about it. I'm aware the tone of my reply so far is overwhelmingly negative, but here we go again anayway- I have no idea what I'd say to them if I saw a therapist again (the last one I saw was actually quite good and I really felt like I made progress, which I usually only feel when I've been working on myself on my own. There seems to be so many things I have to fix about myself. I don't know where to start. I also feel sad thinking about therapy because I was really starting to think I'd made progress from how I used to be/feel even one year ago, let along from when I was a teenageer/childhood. But for my post here to alert someone that I still need therapy is depressing. I know I still have far to go but I am starting to doubt if I'll ever get there.

Thank you for your post, it was very informative.

DragonChaser likes this.
  7. lottaotter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you, I am still going to make myself go this week. What makes me more nervous that with the other groups, classes etc. I've tried is that this is specifically for LGBT people. I know it's bad to say but I tend to get pretty nervous around other gay people, especially the 'cool' kind like my town is full of. I just don't measure up in comparison!

When I remoe myself from the moment/emotions, I agree with you about the group chat distorting things. I've actually muted notifications now from that chat, as I don't cope well with group chats in general, unless I know everyone in them very well. Thanks

8. lottaotter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks again. I think I will email the organiser again who I contacted initially just to ask how fast/how far/how serious/how much pressure will there be to actually do competive events etc.

9. DragonChaser

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It sounds like you're well on your way to making some new connections! Just have faith in yourself, dear, they'll love you! :smiley_cat:

Also I didn't mean to make you feel as though I took you for a walking disaster or anything. Really, where most of my own confidence came from was therapy which is why I, as mentioned, evangelize for it, and I do so to pretty much everyone; even people who "have it together" (whatever anyone has decided that means these days) could still benefit from having someone to talk to about uncomfortable or difficult personal problems.

Not to mention any doctor worth their salt would tell you the same if you talked to them about your social worries. It's not a mark of shame or dishonor and if you really don't know what you'd talk with them about then I do have a suggestion. You could talk about what's keeping you from going back to a gardening group you obviously enjoyed being a part of or maybe trying to find another where you don't feel so much pressure.

And really, don't feel disheartened that you still have a distance to go after all the progress you made. I also understand that; that screws with me all the time. It always feels like there's something more to do, because there is. We are works in progress. All of us. None of us are complete or indomitable. We need each other. Don't be afraid of that and really don't be afraid to be vulnerable. That's the only way we connect, and those connections help us to grow. And be very proud of how far you've come! Just don't stop progressing. That's what counts.

I believe in you, hon! Hugs and good vibes! :hugging:

sunbird, Qrex9871 and lottaotter like this.
  10. lottaotter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No worries at all, I didn't think you were suggesting that. I have been feeling 'too broken to fix' lately and so I am looking for any excuse to say "Aha! Other people think that too!".

I have started a list of things I could talk about or would like to solve.

If anyone is interested in a small update: I contacted the group organiser to say I was a little worried that I wouldn't be able to keep up and he said that people on the group chat are very into their running and so they tend to talk about all the other (longer, competetive) runs they do. He asked me how fast I can run 3km, which I didn't know since timing myself would suck all the enjoyment out for me, but I said I would go anyway. He didn't seem to be annoyed that I'd asked, but of course I have been fighting the thought that he must have told everyone else that I'm needy and immature and anxious.

Thank you.

11. Qrex9871

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi @lottaotter -
    As a casual runner myself, I’d regard a 5k run as a beginner’s, or a casual run. If these runs are being announced publicly, then surely the intent is to draw people in, people like you. You might go and be disappointed. Or you might go and love it. Or, you might decide not to go, and you’d never know.

Years ago I was planning to go to a high school reunion. My feelings were a lot like what you describe. I had a thought that if I had to, I could sit in a dark box for a couple of hours, then get out of it just fine. Most anything would be better than sitting in a dark box. So I went to the reunion and guess what! It wasn’t terrible. It was actually kind of fun, and I had some good conversations. It was a lot better than sitting in a dark box.

I hope you’ll go and share the joy of running with that group.

12. lottaotter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi everyone,

It has been a month but this morning I finally went along to a run. I'm sorry to say it wasn't all positive and I'm seriously considering whether to go back again or not. I feel quite embarassed and like I've failed at my one shot.

Positives:
    • I did well at the running part- way better than I expected. I wasn't the slowest by far!
    • Two people spoke to me- including one person who grew up in the same town as me. That was nice
    • I went for coffee with them all afterwards instead of my original plan to leave straight afterwards
    • They place they went for coffee was an LGBT shop and I have never been in any kind of gay venue (would never be brave enough to go in on my own!)

Negatives:
    • I may have insulted some people? I'm used to hanging round straight people where you all chip into the conversation and have a laugh. Especially when I'm nervous I tend to try too hard to be chatty and funny. I'm fairly sure the person in question wasn't personally offended but I don't know if two of the other people were offended on their behalf or thought it was too much
    • They all do a lot of very serious running, like half marathons and stuff, so I felt pretty out of my depth when they were talking about events and statistics, which made up the bulk of the conversation
    • They are all very deep into the gay scene and love going to drag shows, drinking loads every weekend etc. I don't care what other people do with their time but this just isn't me and I felt out of my depth once again when they were discussing that one hookup app a lot, too
    • Because I was feeling panicky and stressed after spending a few hours around several new people (as well as tired after running) I sort of left in a hurry and didn't say goodbye to everyone- I am worried I offended people again this way. I was worried I'd offended that other guy, plus I was freezing cold

I want to force myself to go back to try again, but should I? Have I messed up too bad? I don't think I fit in very well really. I really hoped I'd make a success of this but instead I blew my chance :frowning2:

#12 lottaotter, Apr 10, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
  13. lottaotter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Do you think if I went back again next week and explained that I only left suddenly because I had been feeling anxious all morning because of meeting new people, they'd understand and forgive me? Or do you think the damage is gone?

I really would like to try again but I hate myself for screwing up so badly. I can't discuss this with any of my friends since they'd laugh at me, and it's not the kind of thing you talk to parents about. I don't have anyone.

14. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Lottaotter, relax. You haven't screwed up badly. You haven't screwed up at all.

I have found out whenever I've join a new group I have the same sort of social anxiety, the same sort of thoughts. When I joined my current running club I felt 'oh they're all so middle class compared to me! They've all got fantastic well-paid jobs'. The temptation is to retreat to your social safe zone where you feel comfortable. In time, of course, I found that as people they were a lot more nuanced than my first impressions. After all, it's very rare that you click with anyone immediately. Very often friendship grows organically over time.

So...well done for going through with it, but hang in there and see what unfolds! I'm pretty certain that you'll feel more at home with them as time goes on.

It's very probable that they didn't notice. People don't, because they've all got more important things to be worried about in their own lives. Don't even mention it the next time you see them.

Beth

#14 chicodeoro, Apr 10, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
    sunbird likes this.
  15. lottaotter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is exactly my experience of this running group! And the same with a community garden I tried going to but have since left (the class divide was even more pronounced there, and the politics chat even more intense! :tired_face:).

I'm glad you say you think they probably didn't notice. My depression has come back strong this past month and it's hard to see things more objectively. Just venting here but I am having to play 'unpaid therapist' for a lot of people, as well as being scapegoat/punching bag for them all too.

Thanks again, I feel a bit calmer now and I am going to go again next week.

chicodeoro likes this.
  16. Really

Hey @lottaotter

Well done going! I also think it would be a good idea to keep going. If only to improve your running. That’s always a good thing, right?

One thought. If you’re up for it, maybe reach out to the organizer to say you enjoyed the runs so far but we’re wondering if they have any more recreational type runners in the group. Ones who aren’t interested in competing. You may find they do but don’t usually show up until the weather is better. ;} It might prompt them to advertise that all levels are welcome so you could meet more casual runners.

Either way, I’d say keep at it. :} When I first joined a running group, I was dead last for quite a while but like the proverbial tortoise, I just kept at it and moved up and was soon comfortably in the second pack. :]

17. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Is there a gay friend you could ask to go along with you ?
    Well done for going
    with any “group” you will find some competitive high achievers but I bet half the people there were just like you, just wanting some interaction and also feeling a bit awkward

18. lottaotter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Unfortunately I don't know any gay people, but it is a good idea. I am going to go anyway. Maybe it will be a breath of fresh air for them to have someone like me.

19. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's great that you pushed through the anxiety and made the effort to go and it sounds like you were more than able to compete in the running. It wasn't an overwhelmingly negative experience and you managed to chat to a couple of people and go to an LGBT venue afterwards. Focus on those positives.

Gay guys value honesty, so don't be afraid to say how you feel. We come up against so much dishonesty in life and tend to warm to people who are open and honest with us about their fears and concerns. If you are honest and make the effort to keep going, you will find that you are included more, simply because you are demonstrating commitment to the group. As things stand, you are the new kid on the block and they will all be wondering if you are genuinely interested in being part of their community.

We have all experienced those moments of anxiety when we join an established community. I imagine new members of this forum may experience some anxiety when they create their first post, even if they are doing it from the comfort of their own home with an anonymous user name. It's always the same and the only thing we can do is to confront it.

As the newbie, nobody will expect you to be driver of group conversations, so don't try to force it and don't worry too much if you can't join in. There is much to be said for sitting back, listening to others and picking up on the verbal and non verbal cues. Just sit with them and be amongst them for a bit and they will start to become more interested in you and what motivates you.

I don't think you need to explain yourself to the entire group or seek forgiveness. Maybe you could casually mention the anxiety to the couple of guys you had a chat with and tell them how determined you are to push through it.

lottaotter and chicodeoro like this.
  20. lottaotter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    One last update- I went again and it was still OK. No one mentioned by behaviour last week or seemed to hold a grudge. One of the same people who was there last time spoke to me again which was great, and two other people spoke to me.

They do seem to be very wary of new people for whatever reason so I didn't try to force any conversations- I let people come to me. I'll go again next time.

I think one or two people (who don't even make eye contact with me!) are a bit funny because I was so worried about not being a good enough runner before I joined, but am lots better than I thought I was- the two group leaders (who I emailed with these concerns) are these people! But I'll just take them as they come.

Also, there were other people there this time apart from gay men, so the conversation was a bit lighter and more varied. Still very heavy on talking about professional running. But I just smile and nod.

Thanks for your help everyone.

PatrickUK likes this.