1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some career advice

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Hawk, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I got an interview with a theatre company, and they said that the job pays minimum wage ($13.60/hour or $1,700/month). I could probably get by with that. However in a perfect world, I would like a minimum wage of $15. If I do take this job, I was thinking about applying to the union also, and taking the odd job there. I could also probably live with an aunt over the summer, but I'd prefer not to, I'd rather just get my own place.
    Or I could go back home and not pay rent and earn $20.00/hour working a job I don't like (being misgendered and tolerating a**hole co-workers) and knowing how that job works, they probably will be hired back.

2. Niagara

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It doesn't sound like the extra money would be worth you having to be unhappy and live at home. You could always try to get a raise from $13.60 to $15 later on at the job you like, or work extra to make up the difference if you need the additional money. Being able to do what you like and live on your own seems like the most important thing to me, not money.

Hawk likes this.
  3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you can get by doing something you enjoy, I would go with that and try to top up your income as/when you can. You may have to struggle financially in the short term, but financial struggles pale into insignificance compared to the alternative option you mentioned. Money is important, but nothing trumps your emotional and physical wellbeing, and in truth you limit your employment potential if you are in a bad place mentally/physically.

Hawk likes this.
  4. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The thing is, if I do take this job I'll only have enough money to pay rent and groceries, and I may have to take out of my savings which I'm not particularly fond of doing. I talked to my dad last night about the whole thing, and if I do choose to take this job, he said he'll transfer some money over if I need it (I don't like asking for money, but it's there). The other thing is, this job sounds more like a student job for those who will be living at home. There's very little to do with actual technical theatre by the sounds of it.
    I might just end up going back to my old job, save like crazy, and apply to the Union and take the jobs that are offered to me until the season's over and try and find an actual technical theatre job in the meantime.