1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need makeup advice

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Redbud123, Feb 18, 2021.

1. Redbud123

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello everyone!

I recently tried using makeup for the first time, knowing almost nothing about it. I got some color corrector for the beard and some foundation. But much to my disappointment, instead of smoothing out my skin texture the makeup seemed to highlight every imperfection and bump of skin I had. This is problematic, as there always seems to be a bit of a rough texture, bumps or divots where the follicles are even when I get a close shave.

I looked up some solutions, and I saw that there exists products like smoothing primers that promise to help reduce the visible texture of the skin, but I don't want to start spending money on a bunch of things that don't end up working. Does anybody have experience with this?

I'd appreciate any advice and experience you all may have on the matter.

Thanks!

2. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Redbud123.....I have only used makeup a few times and then just to hide something that looked bad. So I am not anything close to an expert. However, I have seen quite a few makeup tutorials on youtube. The ones that are for a MtF trans girl might really be helpful as they are often working to smooth a some what rougher face. Check it out! :old_big_grin:
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

3. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wish someone with more recent experience were able to try to help you with specifics. It has been decades since I have had to use makeup with heavy coverage. Prior to COVID my advice would have been to just go to a local department store and ask for a makeup tutorial (even men can go to the makeup department and get help, if you have to just say "I lost a bet"). I do not think that is really an option right now (though you might check into it, someone working directly with you not only helps find the right texture etc but also the right colors to match which is important). I really do not wear anything except mascara and a little lip color anymore but I remember that MAC Cosmetics were really good, though they are not cheap (do be careful not to be too cheap makeup is definitely something where you do get what you pay for). As quebec said above you can find many tutorials which can help with the details of where to put what and how to accent the right things.

4. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Dang, just missed the edit window. Sorry, I thought about one other thing.

When you do search for tutorials check out quite a few of them and find someone who has a style that you think matches your own personality. When I was first learning to do my own makeup I had two friends try to help me. One was a coworker and another was a friend who was also seeing the guy who I was seeing. One was a model and the other a sex worker, both were a different ethnicity than I am (paying attention to skin color is not racist in this case, the tone of your makeup needs to match your skin tone no matter what your skin tone is). Their styles really did not match me very well. It took me years to settle on more of a natural country girl prairie style which was very different from their styles both in makeup and in clothing.

5. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The makeup tutorials are a great idea but I just wanted to add a couple quick things. Foundation is exactly what it says--a foundation. Depending on what you're trying to do, you might need a primer, cover-up, etc. I have rosacea and all the associated acne and redness that comes with it. When I do my make-up, I have primer, foundation, two different cover-ups, and a finishing powder. There's probably more that I need, but I'm not very good at it.

Second, when you do your make-up, look at yourself close-up and far away. If I'm standing right up to the mirror, I can usually see all the bumps in my skin underneath the make-up. But if I take a couple steps back, my skin looks perfectly smooth.

QuietPeace likes this.