1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need hope

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Orchidea123, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Orchidea123

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    @zumbaqueen @silverhalo (happy you chimed in!) rational approach should definitely help. Much to still learn and discover. Can be overwhelming, so taking time is a very appropriate thing to do..

Despite uncertainty of it all, I feel younger than I was 3 years ago, and, at the sme time a lot wiser! Regarding women - I've thought about it.. I've been straight: Richard Gere, Tom Cruise, Matt Damon ( in meet Joe Black only), you name it..
    I do recall studying Jodi Foster's face and Kandice Bergen's moves and speech..

The only other thing I can think of is that in third grade summer camp I had my hair short and one girl wanted to make a boy jealous, so at the dance (yes, there was a full scale dance party) she asked me to dance with her and act like a boy. I went along with it because I thought it would be unusual thing to pretend , but eventually to my surprise realized I actually enjoyed dancing with her as a boy.
    As you read, hold your horses please. I love my long hair and use makeup and jewelry.

The only thing I find peculiar is that I take dynamics of a pleaser in a guy's sort of way when in friendship with females( but not much attraction). And, not looking at men anymore..
    Hope I didn't confuse anyone.

So, she texted me to see where I was. Ofcourse, 'no contact' out the door lol. I replied.
    It still feels like no contact though, as I haven't seen her, which messes with me. And, also feels as if I've put myself through feeling detox ( not in a bad way).

Yes, I am barganing at this point.. If I take a break once I'm overwhelmed, maybe I can keep it all together..

#21 Orchidea123, Apr 19, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  2. Orchidea123

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    @silverhalo she was nice and understanding, that I can talk to her any time, however she has no romantic feelings for me and is seeing a guy she cares about.
    I told her I am done with this questioning and moving on.

#22 Orchidea123, Apr 19, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  3. Orchidea123

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    And this happened more than 2 years back..

4. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh well it's a good job that you moved on then haha. Sorry I shouldn't joke. I was only wondering because her response had a seemed a little vague before but that is fairly clear so that's cool.

This bold bit I think potentially holds a little weight. I mean scrap the bit about long hair and make up etc that really has no bearing on your sexuality, my girlfriend and I both have long hair, it definitely doesn't detract from my being gay.

For me I really struggled with identifying my attraction to girls and that is I think why it took me so long to figure out I was gay. I'm not saying you are gay though. For me I had a longing to be close to a friend, when I was a teenager what I wanted most was a best friend, one of those people who just gets you and you do everything together. I never specifically crushed on any of my friends in particular but I'm pretty sure now this was my Brian wanting a girlfriend but not realising it.

So if I said to you, you could date anyone in the world right now, apart from your friend who would you pick?

sparki and Orchidea123 like this.
  5. Orchidea123

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Haha please joke, any time.
    I took her words for what they are back then, but intuitively speaking, I feel that she didn't reveal everything.

About the hair and boy acting - I didn't want anyone on EC to conclude that I may be questioning gender.
    But yeah, acting for this girl brings up really good memory.

I've had very close friends in early life. By college time I avoided close friendships, kept women at arms length, as I saw competition in women while straight dating (probably sounds awfully calculated.. maybe lack of trust). Never had crushes on women.

For you it definitely seems you were looking for relationship with a female, without even realizing it. And, you took your time and eventually got there:slight_smile:

Maybe I'm a late bloomer, or turned bi/lesbian abruptly.. I dont know.
    and maybe longing close friendship with her that you talk about, as she is handsomly beautiful and smart, and it definitely doesn't end there.. She has qualities to make me even better.

So, who would I date if it wasn't her? I wouldn't date anyone, if had to, probably not a man (sigh)
    Btw, no contact definitely out the door. We saw each other today. She was adorably quiet but spoke to me.

#25 Orchidea123, Apr 21, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  6. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I think in these situations often the reason they are so difficult and complicated is that both people are trying to figure out where they stand and maybe she does feel something for you but is scared or doesn't want to/can't accept or pursue it, so she only tells you half the story. Or maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree completely.

If taking that manly role with your friend brings up such good memories, perhaps it is something you should let your mind consider further. I don't mean that you should question your gender but maybe your style and the way you act etc.

So your brain put down holding girls at arms length as they were competition for straight dating, are you sure this is the real reason? Out brains are very good at fooling us with a logical plausible excuse which on the surface looks true but actually isn't always the case. You can tell me to shut up but what if your brain realised some deeper underlying feelings for girls when you got closer to them, got scared and said to your concious mind, you don't need to get close to these people, they will only hinder your chances with a man, which is of course what you really want. I know it might seem far fetched and maybe I'm completely off the mark but I don't know it's just what came first to my mind when I read what you had written and so I thought I'd throw it out there.

So what qualities of hers do you think make you better?

Ok so let's say you sat outside a cafe and watched the world go by, who do you think would catch your eye? Guys, girls? Nobody?

7. Orchidea123

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think you are right - kind of starting to make sense. If I ever got into meaningful relationship with a woman, I would try this approach. Part of questioning has been just trying to picture my role in such relationship, which hasn't been clear to me.
    I think I would enjoy taking initiative to be attentive and to be a bit of a lead.
    Well, I am still married indeed.. Can't believe im brainstorming on women relationships..

She presents masculine (with a bit of internal femininity ) - not sure how my masuline approach would mesh..

Regarding women at arms' length - haha maybe I was looking at their features /qualities from a woman liking woman perspective, and saw potential pitfalls in my success with guys.. Wow!

"So what qualities of hers do you think make you better?" - she has many. She is extremely observant and smart, she is rational, strong, confident, mentally sharp, reliable, compassionate, modest, magnetic. Knowing her makes me analyze myself and do better in these areas.
    Its just a theory - she may be it to keep me growing. Or maybe those are my delusions lol.

To answer your q n I would not watch guys outside cafe..

#27 Orchidea123, Apr 22, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  8. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Even though you are still married, is there anyway you can allow yourself to embrace these qualities you think you would like in a relationship with a woman and bring them into your current situation? I don't mean go out and flirt with women but with your husband can you take the lead and be more assertive? Regardless of your sexuality this kind of thing can be about finding and embracing the real you inside.

I don't think the way people present always tells you anything about the way they are or who they would want to be with. Someone who present more masculine on the outside does so because that's how they feel most comfortable. It doesn't mean that on the inside they aren't just waiting for someone to come and look after them.

Wow in a good way or a bad way?

Ok so what good qualities to you have to offer her or someone else?

But you would notice/watch girls, I think that there answers your questions about a lot, including whether or not it's just one girl.

Orchidea123 likes this.
  9. Orchidea123

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Those are all very good questions.. I think I'm the lead now.. When dating earlier in life, it was so against my nature not to be proactive, and be pursued instead.

'Wow' in a good way - a very fresh angle to realize.

I'd watch women lol.

10. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Taking the lead can very much be a confidence thing so I think sometimes it takes us a while to grow into that. Not saying it's true but I guess there is another angle you could take that says deep down your subconscious knew that it wasn't really a man you wanted and so didn't want to make the effort to pursue. I mean being pursued as long as it is in a nice way is always flattering.

You would watch women, I don't think we need to wonder whether it is only one girl anymore.

Orchidea123 likes this.
  11. Orchidea123

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you @silverhalo! Last paragraph - something to think about..

angeluscrzy likes this.
  12. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, indeed. You have this lady on such a pedestal she can do no wrong and your conscious mind is always defending any arguement with suggestions that nobody could ever compare to her, or that she is the only woman you could ever fall for, perhaps it is scared of what may happen if it opens up completely.

I think sometimes attraction can be misidentified or certainly for me was a little. I think when we think of attraction people often think about seeing someone and being completely drawn to them, imagining them naked or at least imagining kissing them etc, and don't get me wrong some people feel this, but I don't if I sat in the cafe as I suggested you do and watched the world go by, it would be the women who would catch my interest, no in a pervy check her out kind of way but more in an enquisitive way, it not even my conscious mind I don't think, some I would find more attractive than others in a purely aesthetic sense but for me true attraction only happens when I kind of get to know them a bit too and for me attraction is to the whole person and who they are. I think it is one reason it took me so long to figure out my sexuality.

Orchidea123 likes this.