1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need advice...

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by weary, Nov 1, 2018.

1. UMedusa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Don't say that. You are not a controlling b* and delicate situations require forethought. Being considerate is showing love, and not something you should punish yourself for. Thoughts like this are toxic, don't think them and don't accept them if they are said to you. You will start to see it as your only truth. Right now, you need to be telling yourself positive things, possibly more than ever before.

Feeling calm and at peace is COMPLETELY NORMAL when you recognize your sexual identity is different from what you were taught it should be. It is OK to feel good about that!

As for parents and other threats, stay calm. Think it through in your mind, if he tells them, what will happen? Best possible outcomes and the worst. Now that you are an adult and mother, even the worst outcomes still leave you free to be who you are. You cannot change who people are, you cannot force them to see things as you want them to be seen. All you can do is decide how you respond.

Lastly, you have rights. Divorce is not a pretty thing, any more than a tornado is on a city. Attorneys can help mitigate hostility and keep everything equitable as you navigate the legality of divorce. An attorney is not for everyone, but... I am sure glad I finally got one for my case. You might want to do some internet searching for someone that is reputable for LGBTQ+ advocacy. If you know the settlement you want and you want to DIY, get on it. Get this bandage ripped off so you BOTH can see where the chips have fallen and rebuild. Clear boundaries are established when a legal divorce decree is in place, and you can help each other so much better as friends when you have that.

You are right. You need to move forward. If you decide not to, it needs to be because you are happy with staying put. It should not be because of threats and guilt.

weary and alwaysforever like this.
  2. weary

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thanks @UMedusa I really enjoy reading your responses. It helps a lot. I put together a formal separation agreement, and still waiting to hear back from the apt. We have a nice house, but neither of us want to stay in it. Although my older son told me if I kept it, he would move back in and pay rent.

Last night, I was told I am destroying the only home he has ever known. I hate the guilt trips he loves to catch me off guard and says 'come on, let's talk' and there is no talking, just dishing out everything I am doing wrong to him. I broke last night and told him he wasn't perfect and brought up crap that he has done. I hate this part. I am not a vendetta person. I believe in father's rights. I am a good person. So it sucks to be told how awful I am every night, how much I am ruining his life. Yes, I know I am. So I sit quietly taking my verbal beating as much as I can. Then he will switch to the 'I'm still holding on to you and I working this out' bit. He did say he would stay til after the holidays for our daughter.

I know this is horribly painful for him, but it is for me too. At least he is only here 3 nights a week so I get a break this weekend. I can just be me without the guilt trips unless he catches me before he goes to work...ugh. I am so glad I have this forum, but I really wish I had someone irl to talk openly to about all this.

UMedusa likes this.
  3. Rade

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello
    I have read some of the thread. It feels like he can't get to grips that it's over.....but if I'm right he's had plenty of time to get used to your new set up. Only my opinion but it doesn't sound healthy. I think he needs counselling and if this doesn't help. He or one of you need to move out. As hard as it is that could be the best option. It also sounds like he is trying to control you which is very wrong and unhealthy........
    Kind regards Rade X

UMedusa and weary like this.
  4. UMedusa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Breaking up amicably is just SO hard to do, especially when you still care for the other person. I hope you guys don't hurt each other to gain closure. Sometimes people want to make the one hurting them into a villain, to replace the love, so that leaving is easier. Keep your chin up, you are managing things really well. It's a turbulent thing for both of you. Clean breaks heal faster.

LostInDaydreams and weary like this.
  5. weary

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    So if everyone didn't already know it - I am the MOST horrible person on earth. If there was a contest I would get the trophy tonite.
    Our daughter is gone for the week with grandparents on vacation. So he decided it was time to go over the divorce terms which was more a gripe session of how horrible I am and then back to what he could do to change things. Ended with him leaving to get out of the house and coming back with beer. Because of me he broke 20 years of sobriety.....

6. UMedusa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Weary, I am so sorry for this. Alcohol recovery is... a lifelong thing. I am sober after abuse as well. This is not your fault. Maybe it's better to think of how your strength has been an incentive for him to stay sober for longer? Breaking sobriety in front of you is a form of manipulation-- it is a suicide of his sobriety, and the agenda is to cause pain and cast blame. His choice to react this way has hurt both of you and I am so sorry you are going through this pain right now.

When you went over the changes you want to make toward divorce, how did that make you feel? Obviously he is upset, but do you look to this future with hope for your future self, or do you sort of long for reconciliation with him? Only you can make the decision about how and when to do this, if at all. Maybe this was the push he needed to take your boundaries seriously. If so, is that enough for you to want to stay? Love from guilt is unlikely to succeed. How much of staying together is out of guilt or co-dependence, and how much of it is a deeper bond you would hate to lose?

7. weary

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    @UMedusa No, absolutely no there is no staying. I try to do right by people and not intentionally cause pain. It was over when I came out. This to me makes it actually easier to leave.

As for divorce terms - I am a big supporter for father's rights. As long as he can do right for him and her, we will share custody and we will split time equally. They both need each other. But I told him that was the nail in the coffin for me being his umbrella. Addiction recovery can't be forced no more than trying to force someone to come out. It can only be done by the person when they are ready to. He has to choose his path - a life with his daughter or back to the gutter where he started. I can't choose it or force him to do what he should.

Me and mine we will be fine. I just hate that my freedom cost his sobriety. I know it was a manipulation, but it still would not have happened had I had the courage to be true to me before we met, before we married.

UMedusa likes this.
  8. LaneyM

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I just now read through this thread, I know you have offered advice to me in different posts, I had no idea you were going through all of this. Thank you for supporting others even while you are working through your own challenges. I get where you are coming from, as I also regret not knowing myself better before getting married, I know that would have changed things. But I really don't think it's a matter of courage, it's just that you've grown more and understand yourself now. That's no more your fault than any of life's other accidents or chance events. Stay strong and true to yourself <3

9. weary

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Another update... My son took me out for my birthday to a retro arcade bar and had a great time. My husband went on his rant again and accused me of having a private fb page so I decided to go ahead and make one. Then he found that one and and after heated discussion said he would destroy me...take me to court for full custody etc etc. then back to the he's sorry, he just wants us to work out and be like we were. We actually talked today and he signed the separation papers I wanted him to sign, so this coming week we should officially be separated. He is supposed to sign papers for an apt next week and move no later than January.

I am hoping this is the beginning of the healing. I hope after all is said and done we will be friends. His biggest concern is that he has no one which I understand fully. I told him at least he has me and that will never change - he can talk to me about everything, but I have no one. I can't talk to him about my feelings towards women, or what I am going through. He didn't want to hear that and just said if we are done, he won't have me to talk to anymore either. He doesn't have anyone, neither do I. Well I come here. He won't talk to anyone. I tried to tell him to come here or straightspouses but he won't. So I don't know what to do about that....

LaneyM and UMedusa like this.
  10. UMedusa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thanks for the update. Not sure if this is the case for him but, sometimes people just need to be alone when they are going through the pain of trauma and healing. Having no one is scary but... in a way, it's what it needs to be for a time. Rebounding just for companionship masks what needs to heal and usually sends you off in a direction you didn't really want to go in. I worried about my ex not talking to anyone through the whole thing as well, but he pulled through and we are good friends now, finally. Sometimes that's just how some people heal.

That said, you have to let him figure out what works for him. It's really cool that you keep putting yourself out there as a solid friend for him. I hope he is able to take you up on it when he really needs someone, and vice versa. Raising a child together is a bond worth holding onto. But, you can't control much beyond that, and that's ok. Let the separation evolve as what he needs it to be as well. Good luck to both of you right now. I wish you the best and lots of strength. <3

LaneyM, weary, Drizzle and 1 other person like this.
  11. Nic2552

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That sounds like what my ex boyfriend put me through only ,we weren't married and thank God I wasn't living with him. But he wanted to keep me with him , he would threaten me all the time to expose me , make me feel guilty in all type of ways , bash me , I wanted to be his best friend but he just wanted me whole and I couldn't give him the love he wanted. I was in a dark depression being with him ... he was perfect boyfriend for a straight girl , but I just needed a friend. I Felt something wasn't right with me. He knew I wasn't straight because I couldn't fall in love with him or any guy I told him muiltple times even when I didn't even know I was gay. There was something missing from my heart and he realized I liked my current girlfriend more than him. I know this will sound selfish but you have to separate from him. Give him time alone to process everything. He still loves you so he is hurt. In time he will come around. But separating is the best decision since trying to live together won't work. My ex boyfriend after a year came around and we are friends. He will come around because you guys have a child.

sounds

weary and UMedusa like this.
  12. weary

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I know it is the holidays and I should have compassion, but I am just so upset with how things are going. I can't think straight or maybe the opposite. My husband was supposed to sign papers for the apt Monday. He didn't. He made up several excuses. He didn't want to live that close, then on a different one - he just didn't like it, then money issue, etc, etc.. So it was never done.

And he went to his old church Sunday said he was going to try to get right. This is the man that I had thought was fully religious when we met and attended church every Sunday. Then I found out years ago he had never been baptized, and had never really attended church much at all. Now he's going to church and says it must be a sign that he shouldn't move out because he hasn't been able to get an apt. I'm like dude, you had plenty of chances to get an apt, you just won't. So we got into it again and ended the conversation with me telling him maybe it's a sign that you need to find a damn apt and get out so we don't keep arguing. To which he asked if I would get the apt in my name... NO, not going to happen. Let me make it through this week...

13. UMedusa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    You will make it through this week. Change is not easy for people. Holidays are not easy for people. Compromise is when both people don't get all of what they wanted. You can do this. Be kind. Be patient. Be firm. He doesn't get to decide the person you are anymore-- you do. Fighting is your choice, so make it! If you don't want to fight, don't engage with him as much as possible when you are upset. I know it's so hard right now and you probably can barely discuss anything productive without it quickly turning hostile. Diplomacy and emotional distance is the only way out of fighting drama.

What is his leverage? What do you need to do to not require certain things from him? I know you mentioned earlier you are dependent on him. What is your vision for how this separation will go? Is there something you can do now to help yourself shore up your vulnerability, while he sorts out his emotional apprehension about moving out to an apartment?

LaneyM and Leah061 like this.
  14. weary

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I am no longer dependent on him. I did up a budget for myself and can get by even if he decides not to pay cs. I also talked it over with my son who said if need be he can move back in when his lease is up. I just think this is another way for him to hold me hostage because nothing he has tried so far has worked. I think he believes if he stays around long enough, I'll get over it. What he doesn't realize is his actions are just causing me to distance myself more so emotionally from him. I admit I have wanted him to stay in our area for a few reasons mainly so he wouldn't be back in his old stomping grounds. I know it's been 15+ years for him being clean, but how easy it was for him to just take that drink scares me about potential drug use again. Regardless of everything he is someone I loved and do not wish ill will towards. If he doesn't sign for an apt by week after next, I'm thinking about moving his crap to the smaller side of the house so I get my side back. I don't want to kick someone while they're down, I don't want it to go that far.. I hope he just wakes up and decides to go.

UMedusa likes this.
  15. Nic2552

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know this will be hard on the both on you guys. this is the holidays and it is really hard, like Umdesua said you are strong now and know he can't change you, but also understand this is the holiday seasons. He will eventually leave but understand him too. Lol. This is your choice .. the ball is in your hand. I would give him a deadline like January after the holidays. Because no one likes to be alone around this time of the year.

UMedusa likes this.
  16. Brandy Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well I'd like to be as supportive of your situation as I can, but frankly, you already left him: it's over.
    Later in your post, you mention your "expectations". Honestly, the only reason he would listen to those is that he still loves you and you said yourself, hopes you may reconcile. This is not a good place for your daughter to learn about healthy relationships, as neither of you can move on realistically with anyone else.
    What would you expect a future love interest of his to say when he wants to bring her home? Is that fair to him?
    While it's certainly not your fault that your love and who you want to be with has changed, neither is it his, time to move.
    Ask yourself: if you had the means to leave comfortably, and reestablish yourself as you wished somewhere else, with your daughter still a part of your life of course, so that you could begin dating women or whatever you see yourself doing to find new love, would you still be in that house?

UMedusa likes this.
  17. Rade

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello Weary....
    It sounds like he just can't move forward even though you have told him many times it's over. He is also playing the victim card which will not help the situation. He has to let go if he loves you he must do this.....for your daughters well being and your well being, one of you should move out, like I have done leaving my kids behind. It's very painful but for the best. Then everyone has time and space to process it all. We have had blazing rows but now put our differences aside for the sake of the kids....She had moved a new boyfriend in which hurts me further but EC is about coming out and looking forward which is important to remember....
    I hope your situation improves soon....

Brandy Bee and UMedusa like this.
  18. UMedusa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    If marriage and divorce doesn't teach you that you can't make someone else happy, not much else will. When I felt like I held the responsibility for my spouse's happiness, I also gave him the keys to mine. What a disservice to give that to someone else! What a confusing burden to put on him. When people make us feel happy, and vice versa, it shouldn't be that complicated! The co-dependent ridicularium we humans sometimes impose upon our mates is like telling a tree, "you are my soulmate because I love sitting here by you every afternoon, so here is the key to my happiness." We wouldn't do that. We shouldn't do that to another person. And if they blame us for their unhappiness, well, it's as meaningless and blaming the tree. It is better to not have co-dependent happiness. Happiness is a personal development, gained through habit, much in the same way good oral hygiene is achieved. You may wish deeply for someone to practice good habits, but until they do... well, it's not your mouth.

#38 UMedusa, Nov 21, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  19. epicoddity

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First I would like to commend you for your honesty. There aren't many women in the same situation who would have actually admitted their truths out loud and for every one who chooses too there is a real strength in that, that should always be recognized as opposed to questioned or judged. I have never been married or found myself in this type of situation as I have pretty much always known my orientation. However, I can say that I have been witness too similar situations.

It is an important step that you are planning to take, having the discussion about the living arrangement you currently have and what to do about it next as your reality is things cannot be as they have been. Financial woes, impact decisions greatly but in this case I don't think it would be healthy for you two to stay under the same roof. Just as you realize that you need space and time, that's a space and time he needs as well, to wrap your heads around change and realize what you both must do alone to take the next step into your new normal. Staying under the same roof while trying to make these changes, changes you can only really make alone will only cause more confusion and stress and eventually it will probably become toxic.

Asking your husband to be your friend in this moment, is a hard thing. It means him being open to being there for you past the hurt he feels and I don't know him so I cannot speak to whether or not he is capable of doing that but most people aren't. He will try and look past his emotions but for awhile, especially depending on how long you have actually been together, especially considering that you also have a tie that binds for life which would be your daughter, there is too much emotion wrapped in all of that for him to be able to put that to the side.

That is conversation and a concept you should explore after time has passed and changes have taken course. Expecting to be friends and to be past things too early can lead to more of a breakdown than a build up.

As it pertains to your daughter. Though this is a difficult time for everyone and though this is definitely a difficult time for him, his feelings and dealings with you should be separate from his relationship with your child. In any way, in all ways he must be a father first before he is a husband and take care of that responsibility whether or not you are together, no matter why you've decided to call things quits. She needs both of you at this point in time and she will look to you for answers and clarity but she will be looking to him for strength and what to do next. As they can relate to each other more because this is a change that they both did not expect and do not know how to deal with. Not to cheapen the fact that this is new for you too but just to give you the reality of what'll be going on in their minds.

All in all this is a time where though you will have to be apart for some time to sort things out at the very least as parents you must keep that part of your family and responsibilities together, whatever it takes. Just as you may feel innocent in not controlling who or what you are attracted to and love, and he is in his own right innocent in not expecting this, your daughter is innocent in not expecting any of this either. Be honest with her, be open with her, be loving toward her even if you reach a place where you both feel you cannot be that for each other. If all else fails, your priority should be her and in that process, slowly whether you feel it or see it or not a lot of other realities will fall into place a lot easier than it seems it ever could.

Look to God. No matter what you think, He is still there, and He is still listening. He still heals and still mends. He still makes whole what is broken and He still redeems. Well wishes and prayers to you, I hope in some way this helps.

20. weary

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    So I royally screwed myself this week. As most of you know, it has taken me a lot of time and courage to come out and then to ask for a separation from my husband. My husband had an apartment and was set to move into it today.

I had a horrible Christmas day with a huge family fiasco. We found out my father's prostate cancer came back and my mom just was a total bi*ch saying a lot of mean stuff about me and to me. I didn't even stay to eat with them and left crying and upset. In all of this my husband was there with our daughter, but seeing how upset I was he let her stay with my mom and took me home. He has had the past two weeks off from work and has been non-stop (at least 2x a day) asking if he could just stay and try to make this work between us. I was an emotional wreck and gave in and told him he could stay 6 months and we would see.

Now Christmas has passed and my emotions are back in check and I am regretting it. I feel taken advantage of because he knew I was in a bad place. I feel smothered because he will not let me have any time to myself. He is up my ass 24/7. I feel guilty because he lost the apartment. I am going crazy and don't know what to do. Will write more later when I can.