1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need advice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Pol, May 20, 2018.

1. Pol

Pol

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Wow, I have no idea why I still have an account for this thing. Anyhow, I'll try to keep this short and to the point. Basically parents are going away to a cousin's same sex wedding in Italy (we live in northern Ireland) on Monday and I have been pondering whether I should just come out to my mum before then. I had been thinking about this for months in advance but I feel my reason for doing it is because I want my cousin who is LGBT to know who I am which is absolutely daft because he's never met me though I've known of him and checked his FB over the years. I have not told anyone about my sexuality outside therapists that I have had and the suggestion of befriending other LGBT people has rarely come up despite me getting counselling from an LGBT organisation. I just don't want this to be a big deal, but because I'm 23 next month and still not out means I've made a mountain out of a moehill. I think my parents may already know about my orientation to be honest but I'm still struggling to deal with it myself. However I just think there is no such thing as the ''right time'' and I should look at it as one of those things I need to ''get over and done with'' and not needlessly drag it out any longer. What do you think? Think I posted this topic in the wrong place and this seemed appropriate so yeah advice please.

2. kkou

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey, Pol! Coming out is hard for everyone, even when a "right time" comes. My immediate family is super accepting, but I was still terrified of coming out to them and delayed it for what felt like an eternity. If your mum's going to a same-sex meeting, chances are that she's more open-minded towards the LGBT community. If you find a good moment, I think this is a great opportunity to give it a try. If you're lacking in confidence, I'm sure your cousin would be willing to chat (even on FB, if that's easiest) to give you some advice. Even if he doesn't know you very well, I'm sure he'll be more than willing to give you some advice and encouragement after having had similar experiences in the past. Good luck, Pol! I wish you all the best.
    -Kou

3. Biguyjosh

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hmmm I'm never sure whether it's a good time before some big event. If your parents don't take it well they might not have a good time at the wedding. It might be better to wait until after the wedding.