1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need advice on talking to child about homophobia

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by LifeInHell, Feb 10, 2019.

1. LifeInHell

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I recently took my 7-year-old cousin to an all-ages drag brunch. She loves over the top performances, so I thought it was a perfect fit. I was correct, she loved the queens and even got onstage herself. Problem is, my homophobic, christian parents are close role models for her and believe I'm "tainting" her by taking her to see drag queens and exposing her to the lgbtq community. Her parents are supportive of the gay community, but they won't argue with my parents. My stepdad preaches to her that homosexuality and cross-dressing is a sin. Does anyone have advice on how to talk to her about homophobia in a way she'll understand? She's very sweet and sensitive. I don't want this fantastic experience to be ruined for her.

2. Really

I wonder if keeping it simple might work.

For the cross-dressing, i think you could bring up the brunch saying what a fun time the two of you had and wasn’t it great all those performers doing what they love to do and isn’t that great when you get to do what you love? Maybe equating it with something she loves to do and how if you aren’t hurting anyone, why nobody should be able to tell you that you can’t do it.

I think you could equate the homophobia with who she can be friends with at school. She won’t necessarily like everyone and the friends she chooses are her choice. Nobody can say who she can and cannot like based on some arbitrary fact about them. It’s the person who counts.

Does this make sense? I have very little to do with kids but I thought I’d try to give you something to start with. ;} Good luck.