1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nasty Politics

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Sebulba, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Sebulba

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Please note, that some of the words used here may be offensive.

I was doing some browsing online and came across an example of truly Nasty politics.

The race between John Adams and Thomas Jefferson for president in 1800.

In this, Jefferson called Adams: "A blind, bald, crippled, toothless man who is a hideous hermaphroditic character with neither the force and fitness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman."

In turn, Adams called Jefferson "a mean-spirited, low-lived fellow, the son of a half-breed Indian squaw, sired by a Virginia mulatto father."

Holy :***: , Campaigners could be downright Evil!

What do you all think of this, and how politics then and now compares.

2. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Haha I didn't know they got that vicious back then! I think in today's politics, the candidates are more underhanded with their insults.

3. Sebulba

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well, they likely have to be,however, they likely still do. Also they dont duel regularly anymore, as far as i know.

4. alilnervous

Abraham Lincoln was a racist separatist and an opportunist, he wanted black people to be shipped back to Africa and truly believed they were inferior to white people, he was also said to have openly said the n word in meetings. Malcolm X believed women were inferior to men and should stay at home and cook :/. Mahatma Gandhi wrote letters to Hitler and hated black people. Confucius promoted an authoritarian state and believed totalitarianism worked if people obeyed (his ideas can be said to have affected politics in the now), also believed women should obey their, "man" and daughters their, "brothers". Lennon hit his wife and was originally a misogynist, he also hit a female journalist just prior to his, "wonder tibetan years". Most straight men in the spotlight have actually been terrible people, rewriting history to suit the patriarchy is really terrible and common stuff :frowning2:.

5. LesbianThrasher

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    They seemed pretty blunt about their insults compared to now where it looks like they're a little subtle about it, I think. Politicians do insult one another but not like that and if they did, I may probably want to pay more attention to politics because those are really hilarious.

6. Cider

I feel like politics back then was just telling it like it is, and politics now is just throwing shade.

7. alilnervous

TRIGGER WARNING: sexual and physical violence

MLK is a little better, although his views about women have still been on the line (he never really talked about it), he did commit adultery though. Other than that, a pretty good person.

In pop culture, the other straight guy that also turned out to be a pretty good person was Kurt Cobain. He donated to charity foundations for rape victims and wrote several songs to promote awareness about how commonplace physical and sexual violence against women were.

#7 alilnervous, Jul 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  8. Sebulba

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It seems that misdeeds in politics will always be there.

It will always be a case of same story different Jackass.

9. MetalRice

They were very blunt with their politics back then.

10. Foz

Foz Guest

What a giggle, this would certainly have made Miliband more interesting :lol:

There isn't any need for trigger warnings, especially when you're just making a passing comment, this isn't Tumblr!

11. alilnervous

I figure it's a nice thing to do when people have traumatic experiences :slight_smile:. Generally, I think it's better to be safe than sorry and it doesn't offend people anyway! Plus, as a counsellor, it really would be bad form :thumbsup:. And it's also good to think for others, methinks. All sorts of reasons I think it's a good idea!

#11 alilnervous, Jul 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  12. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Those old-fashioned quips are great.

13. The Wallflower

All I want to say is Donald Trump is an asshat.

Ahh, I feel so free~!

14. alilnervous

:eusa_clap

He is entertainingly bad

15. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have incredibly high regard for both Jefferson and Adams. I even visited Jefferson's home, Monticello (the one portrayed on all American nickels) near Charlottesville, Virginia.

No one today comes even close to the genius of these two men and for a long time, they were the closest of friends. They knew that everything they wrote was for posterity. Chalk it up to the nasty politics of the time and to their very different personalities to explain their feud.

They did reconcile however:

Interestingly (very interestingly) they both died on the same day, and that day was Independence Day on the fourth of July, 1826!

16. Foz

Foz Guest

I'm not going to go into a huge discussion about it as there have been several big threads about it this year already, but if there is something likely to affect you then the title generally gives the subject away. Also if you are that sensitive that just the word 'rape' is "triggering" then you need help as the internet will not help you, living a sheltered life only encourages people to avoid issues.

17. alilnervous

No one said the internet was there to help you, it may be there for you to enjoy yourself. There should be safe pockets on the internet for people to talk and view things on the internet. The other side of your argument is that traumatised victims should close themselves off to the rest of the world, which is definitely not the right answer. But in the end, it is a large discussion. And I never expected anyone to do the same! Just you do you mate, if you don't like it then don't do it (that's my libertarian side coming out I guess :icon_bigg). But I will, because I want to show my support to people who feel traumatised and upset by things like that. For me, empathy is always the key, considering all the suicidal youth I speak to on the life crisis phone line I work for says it makes them feel like people care more about them.

18. Ashley2103

19. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thomas Jefferson wasn't that great of a guy...

20. PerfectlyNormal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Not surprised about Jefferson.

People sure were a whole lot nicer back then.