1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NANOWRIMO - write a 50,000 word novel in 30 days - November

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Aven, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Aven

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Apologies is this is the wrong forum. I didn't see a specific forum related to artistic or creative pursuits.

I just thought I would make a post about NANOWRIMO in case there are any members who are interested in writing a novel and wanted to participate.

https://nanowrimo.org

National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) is a fun, seat-of-your-pants approach to creative writing.

On November 1, participants begin working towards the goal of writing a 50,000-word novel by 11:59 PM on November 30.

Valuing enthusiasm, determination, and a deadline, NaNoWriMo is for anyone who has ever thought about writing a novel.

In 2016:

384,126 participants, including 71,229 students and educators in the Young Writers Program, started the month as auto mechanics, out-of-work actors, and middle school English teachers. They walked away novelists.

928 volunteer Municipal Liaisons guided 646 regions on six continents

.1,168 libraries, bookstores, and community centers opened their doors to novelists through the Come Write In program.

Over 250 NaNoWriMo novels have been traditionally published. They include Sara Gruen’s Water for Elephants, Erin Morgenstern’s The Night Circus, Hugh Howey’s Wool, Rainbow Rowell’s Fangirl, Jason Hough’s The Darwin Elevator, and Marissa Meyer’s Cinder. See a full list of our published authors.

I've done it twice before and it's a lot of fun and would recommend it to anyone who has an interest in writing.

My first novel was a children's story, my second a historical / sci fi fiction and this year I'm thinking of writing an erotic adult story. Sort of as a way to help me figure out my own sexual identity and desires. I think it will be therapeutic ☺️ perhaps others here might be able to gain similar benefit ☺️☺️

#1 Aven, Oct 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2017
  2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm going to do it, but it might work out to 5,000 not 50,000. I like short stories.

3. Aven

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Did anyone else end up doing it this year? I'm doing it but it looks unlikely that I will meet the target. Should be on about 23,000 words today but currently sitting on 15,000.

I did get close to 5,000 words, 1/3 of my total word count written today though. So maybe I will get therr. I have to stop skipping days though because it's making it very difficult to catch up lol

4. Suomi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't like this. I do sort of believe the best novels, are the kind that you can write and finish rather quickly.

For example, I'm currently writing a crime/thriller novel about a bunch of guys that rob banks, and some of the characters are gay/bi. I kinda of want the book finished very soon. I don't know how many words it's gonna be, but I do want it to be an inclusive story.

But you shouldn't rush writing. You should take writing for as it is. How do you know people aren't cheating and already have a completed story and what not?

#4 Suomi, Nov 14, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  5. Aven

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There is no reason for people to cheat because there or no real prizes or anything. The only real prize is the self satisfaction in knowing that you were able to achieve it. Most people are unable to make the word count so if you do it feels good ☺️☺️☺️ other people's performance has no impact on you or your story. The only person they are cheating is themselves.

As for forcing yourself to write quickly. Yeh it's hard and yes moat of what you write will be complete junk but for many people one of the biggest hurdles is getting the motivation to get their story out of their brain and written down.

When writing it's very easy to get caught up agonising over getting your words and sentences perfect. To be caught in a loop of eternal editing. For many this can actually prevent them from ever managing to complete their story.

Having such a strict deadline forces you to turn off your internal editor and just focus on getting your story written down. Getting your ideas on paper. Editing (and most likelyy throwing much of it away) comes later.

Good luck on yout story, it sounds interesting ☺️

6. jam93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wish I'd seen this earlier this month. I'm between jobs and have nothing but free time right now. Would have given me something productive to do to pass the time till I start my new Job on the 21st. I guess I could still jump in late, but there's almost no way I could get to 50,000 words by the end of the month. I still might try however, even if I fail, it might give me the kick in the ass I need to start writing again.

7. Bernice

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can't see me writing 50000 in the rest of the month but have signed up just to give me some motivation on the novel I am writing (currently at 38700 words) plus I might find some helpful tips on there.