1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My straight friend got a boyfriend and it kind of broke my heart

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by A girl, Mar 3, 2021.

1. A girl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi!
    Two weeks ago, I found out that my friend had gotten a boyfriend, and it kind of broke my heart.

I have known my friend for 1 1/2 year, and I have become very fond of her. She is the sweetest, most beautiful, brightest, kindest, most wonderful person that you can imagine. I have liked her since the moment I first met her, and a little more than a year ago I got a pretty serious crush on her. She is of course straight, and I know that we would never be anything more than friends. But that doesn't make it all less painful. She lives far away from me and the only contact we have had the last year, apart from a few visits to each other’s hometowns and a few video chats on Messenger is a snap streak that has been going since March 2020 (almost a year now!). That may not seem like much, but we always have a great time together and I think that we have a truly wonderful connection (platonically, of course)

When I heard that she had gotten a boyfriend, I got so sad. I keep imagining her and her boyfriend cuddling and kissing and being a couple together, and it hurts so much. I know that I should be happy and excited for her, but I keep thinking about how wonderful it would be to be her girlfriend and how good it would feel if she cuddled and kissed me instead of him. (which I know will never happen, of course)

I have kind of accepted the thought of never being in a relationship with her, because I know that it is impossible, but I still want to keep her in my life, as a friend I can trust and keep in touch with forever. I am so scared that I am going to loose her to her boyfriend and that she will forget that I exist. She has so many other, more interesting friends, and I struggle to see why she would want to keep me as a friend.

Have any of you experienced anything similar to this? Do you think I will loose my friend because of her boyfriend? It would be so great to know that I am not the only one to struggle with these thoughts, so feel free to share your own experiences

Thanks for reading this! <3
    Lots of love to all of you <3

2. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi A girl,

I’m sorry to hear that you’re hurting at the moment. I know that it’s hard, but try to keep in mind that this is temporary. You will move on and you will meet other people.

I would suggest that you make moving on a priority, so keep yourself busy (as much as you can with coronavirus restrictions) and make sure that you maintain your other relationships and friendships. If it would help you to move on and manage your emotions, then you could reduce communications with this friend for a little while.

There’s no apparent reason why a new boyfriend would necessarily cause your friendship to end. However, you may find that your friend has slightly less time available or responds to messages slightly slower because she is with or communicating with her boyfriend. This isn’t unusual, particularly when a relationship is new, so try to not take it personally. As long as she shows genuine interest in you, behaves as you would expect a friend to behave and still makes time for you, then there seems to be no apparent reason why you should be worried about your friendship. Is there anything in particular that is causing these concerns?

From what you’ve written, such as the part about her other friends being more interesting than you, it sounds like this is coming from a place of low self esteem. Perhaps working on this is something that you focus over the coming months to keep yourself distracted and busy?

Lesbee, Vega222, A girl and 1 other person like this.
  3. A girl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, LostInDaydreams!
    Thank you so much for taking the time to reply! I really appreciate it! <3

I don't know why I am so worried that our friendship will end, but I guess it's because I find it very hard to trust people in general, and since I have known her for only 1,5 year, I keep looking for signs that our friendship is about to end. I have been abandoned by close friends before and I don't see why it wouldn't happen again with her, expecially now that she has gotten a boyfriend. Objectively, there isn't anything in particular that indicates that she will abandon me, so I guess I shouldn't worry too much about it. Currently, (for almost four weeks), her boyfriend is staying in her apartment, so it makes sense that she's had a lot less time to respond to my messages. However, she always responds eventually, and she still seems to care about how and what I am doing.

Our communication has been reduced a lot these last few weeks, and even though it is sad, it has also been kind of good, considering that I still have a crush on her. I have become a lot less addicted to my phone, and I've (as you suggested) done many other things to distract myself. For instance I am doing different creative projects, learning how to cook better, I'm studying at a university (online of course..), and I'm working on getting my driver's licence.

You are right in assuming that my self esteem is low. It really is, and I honestly don't know how to improve it :/

Anyway: Thanks for replying! I hope you are having a good day!

4. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You're quite young and you need to know many friends will come to your life and go (or reduce the communication). This isn't unusual in your age. I assure you this pain is temporary.

And I understand how terrible this is. Sorry to hear your story. You probably need to limit your contact or completely cut it for a while. You need to move on. The sooner the better. I'd not even talk about my feelings too much. Sometimes talking just lengthens our agony.

#4 Vega222, Mar 8, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
  5. A girl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for taking the time to reply!
    I know that I'm young (only 21) and that it is normal for friends to disappear out of ones life, but that doesn't make it less sad. I really want to keep her in my life, she is such a great person! I understand and accept that we will never be more than friends, but the thought of not even being her friend is so hard and painful to consider. I know that the reasonable thing to do probably is to limit or cut contact with her, but I feel that I'll be making a big mistake to shut her completely out of my life. I am sure I will regret it later :/

6. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I just meant if talking to her makes you feel sad, limit it as much as you can for the time being. Also most people tend to think they're too good for you, etc if they see neediness, etc. Hopefully she's mature enough to appreciate your feelings and understand the value of it. But I'd be careful with expressing my feelings to her.

7. A girl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for replying again! It is very helpful:slight_smile:
    She is pretty mature, but I don't think I will ever express my feelings to her. That will likely only make the situation more awkward. However I will try to keep her in my life as long as possible, even though it may be a little painful at this time. I have already limited the contact with her a lot and I feel that limiting it even more will come off as rude

8. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Glad I could be of some help.
    Sorry for being unclear. I meant expressing your love for her as a friend. Don't be too generous with that.
    You might be able to tell her I want to be alone for some time, etc. But you know better.

I am not an expert at all. Just think about my advice and decide for yourself. Hope things get better for you soon.

#8 Vega222, Mar 9, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
  9. A girl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ahh, I understand. I'll think about it
    Thanks for caring <3