1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My straight bf fell in love with the girl I never was

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by nxtjxn, Feb 22, 2017.

1. nxtjxn

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    He fell in love with me while I still thought I was a girl although something was off. The first time I told him something might be different about me, he did nothing but assure me, time and time again, that he’s in love with me for the person I am, which has little to do with the word I identify with the most. We’d been together for about seven months, at the time. When he told me “but you’re a girl” and I answered “I’m really not.” that was it. It was the end of it because I never thought I would ever worry about something related to this issue that wasn’t about my boyfriend seeing me as I am.

That was it, at first. I was happy and it had its bad days (in which it was a little harder to manage the feeling that I was going crazy) but, all in all, it was easy to manage dating a straight guy (who, mostly, likes girls) even though I’m not a girl.

I recently shaved my head. I never felt more like myself and my boyfriend likes it quite a lot, too. Here is the issue, in my mind: I’m starting to present like the person I am instead of the girl I always pretended to be – my boyfriend fell in love with that girl (the only difference between her and me are pronouns, hair and clothes…), he’s a straight guy after all. He likes girls. I know he loves me, he assures me of it every single day and we’re really happy. I keep being afraid that I’m not enough because I’m not a girl… and he likes girls.

I felt the need to write this because I was picking out the clothes I want to wear tomorrow morning and I broke down. I’m going to be with him tomorrow and I wanted to wear something that he’d like to see me in so all that I could think of wearing were my most girly clothes in which I don’t feel comfortable anymore. I feel like I’m going crazy. It doesn’t help that it’s actually “all in my head”. It’s hard to breathe, sometimes. I just wish this would go away. I just wish I could go back to the moment before I started putting the pieces together and realizing that I wasn’t a girl.

I sat on my bedroom floor thinking and wishing that I was a girl. Girls don’t do that, do they?

I know he loves me but I’m just afraid that, the more I am myself, the less attracted to me he’ll become. I don’t want that… but I also don’t even know what I want at this point.

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like he knows. He's aware. And it seems like every step you take away from the standard "girl" of your birth, he's sticking by you. He's happy with your shaved head. In other words, it sounds like he DOES like you. Not "you as a girl" but YOU. Maybe he doesn't quite understand the whole non-binary thing - many people don't - but as long as he's sticking by you, I'd say that's a good thing.

Wear whatever makes you feel most awesome. Because I can guarantee he'll like you more feeling awesome than looking girly but feeling miserable. :slight_smile:

Lex