1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My step dad cheated

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Tre, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Tre

Tre

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have heard my mom complain about perfume smells in their room. I've also been noticing tension in their marriage for a while. A while ago I jokingly predicted she would divorce him. Since I was on the airplane with my mom and she uses large print I couldn't help but read a detailed letter she was writing about the cheating. I feel bad I eavesdropped, but it explains why my mom is distant sometimes.

2. Woodswoman

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi @Tre Sorry you're dealing with this. My stepdad cheated on my mom too, when I was in high school. My mom was preoccupied and wasn't the greatest to me when she was so stressed. It sucked and although now, years later, I love my stepdad greatly, I wish he wouldn't have cheated. If he was unhappy with my mom, he should have talked to her, tried to work it out, even left her if needed. That would have been better than betraying her. I saw it as cowardly and I guess still do.

How are you feeling about everything?

3. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, I'm also sorry to hear that you're having to deal with this. My mum had a couple affairs whilst married to my dad. It can be conflicting and hard to process. You can always talk about it here, as I'm sure you know. Take care.

4. Tre

Tre

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I just don’t know how to feel. I’m honestly pretty numb about it. I won’t say anything because I don’t want my mom to know I eavesdropped. I feel bad about it. I’m worried they’ll divorce. Both me and my mom have learning disabilities, so I don’t know how we'll support ourselves. I’m not surprised he cheated though. My mom is pretty distant with everyone including me.

#4 Tre, Dec 30, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  5. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    An affair doesn't necessarily mean divorce, but I can understand why you're concerned. As it's their relationship, I don't think there's anything you can do at the moment. Just be there for your mum if she needs you. I can't suggest anything with regards to your financial situation as I'm not familiar with what support might be available where you are.

You may be feeling numb because you've only just found out. As I said in my previous message, post about it here if you need to. Take care of yourself.