1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My sister's ashamed of me

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by iamsafeandsound, Dec 11, 2013.

1. iamsafeandsound

A little while ago, my sister told me I should stay in the closet because she doesn't want people asking her about my sexuality and knowing she's related to someone that isn't straight in the least.
    That's why I didn't tell her I was briefly with a good friend of mine (which she flipped out over when she found out because "Why didn't you tell me?").
    I'm trying to get her to be more accepting, so today I made a comment about how attractive I find Tegan and Sara Quin. She scowled at me.
    It was seriously suckish.
    At least my brother accepts me (we actually talk about girls together!!).

2. AKTodd

Your life and happiness are not some accessory for your sister. She needs to grow up and get over herself. You need to do what feels right for you, including coming out when and however feels best for you.

Todd

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My suggested response to "I don't want anybody to know I have somebody non-straight in the family" is "Well, I don't want anybody to know I have a homophobe in the family. Looks like we both are just going to have to come to grips with it."

Lex

4. Foster

She's being pretty selfish towards you. Your sister should want you to be happy and comfortable in your own skin.....she shouldn't feel ashamed of you. I'd say just try to ignore her and focus on your own happiness. You have others who support you like your brother who you can talk to at least. Maybe your sister will come around, but if not it's her loss.

In the end she needs to grow up and be there for you and love you for who you are instead of trying to change you. Until she does I would distance yourself from her...

5. FreeFlow9917

You can't change others but you can open her eyes. She just needs some warming up to you, your sister sounds like my mom when i told her about bi curiosity and she was selfish and said she wanted grandkids. She has actually been giving me hints to say she still loves me. What i'm saying your sister just needs to see you for you, it may take time before she truly accepts you but she doesn't fully understand what you are sexually. At least you have support, but remember, not everybody in the world can accept you or support you and you have to deal with people like your sister in real life. Keep Calm and Pride Walk

6. HarryIsCute