1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my sister is such a mean person! depressed...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by jenne, Dec 16, 2017.

1. jenne

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hello my beautiful people.. i had a long conversasion with my sister about lgbt people and i tried to make her change her mind about gay people and trans people and she keeps saying that they are not normal and they have to get help and they have a mental illness (she doesn't know for sure i'm gay too)
    i felt like crying because she said our parents would never accept me if i would tell them i'm lesbian
    i don't know why she's so mean to people like me...
    i'm really depressed now because i'm scared that my parents will not love me anymore if i tell them the truth :frowning2:
    i don't care about my siste's opinion about me it's just a shame for her thinking this way.. what is going to happen if she decide to have kids one day and one of them comes out gay?? what she will do? or what if a friend of hers tells her that he/she is gay??
    it's just sad... but i can't do anything more!!

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, at the risk of picking on small details, I don't think it's quite true that you don't care about your sister's opinion - because her saying this seems to have upset you a lot. That said, I also think it's completely reasonable to be upset about the idea of not being accepted by your family.

I would focus on two things here. First, your sister's thoughts are her own thoughts - she cannot speak for your parents in this. Second, your sister is speaking without realizing that you, yourself, are LGBT. In my experience, knowing that can often change people's minds. Sometimes drastically, sometimes not, but you never know.

But one thing I can suggest - don't keep talking about this with your sister while you're still not out to her. You know what she'll say, and you're just setting yourself up to be exposed to negativity. For now, spend your time around friends or other family who won't say these things, or will say positive things about LGBT people. :slight_smile: