1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My roommate voted for Trump

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Sen1234, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Sen1234

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Just had a floor meeting for my dorm. Apparently someone has been writing racist/offensive comments on all 3 of our RA's door boards. I didn't think the result of the election would cause so much damage so quickly. Also my roommate voted for Trump. She doesn't seem to understand how his presidency will negatively affect so many people. She comes from a white upper-middle class and doesn't know about my sexuality. I don't know how to respond to her when she complains about how protesting the election "doesn't do anything and only inhibits peoples lives". She seems so oblivious to the struggles of any minority.

2. ConnectedToWall

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Honestly I would just calmly state my political views.
    This is only the beginning. Over the next four years white-supremacist are going to feel very empowered. It's up to us to stand against the tidal wave of hatred that's coming our way. The only thing we can do is kill the ideas.

3. falconfalcon

falconfalcon Guest

the good news is you dont have to respond to her.

One of the miracles of college dorms is living with a large variety of people, that you wouldn't otherwise live with.

Live and let live is the rules of the road really.

Just focus on yourself, you happiness and wellbeing, and your studies, your growth, your life. If other students are going to be screwups, leave them behind :slight_smile:

t/c :slight_smile:

and p.s. i am assuming you are prob a freshman? dont forget before the end of the year to find a friend you want to roommate with next year :wink:

4. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry all of this has happened, especially if it's led to a feeling of unease about your living arrangements.

I don't want to get too deep into the politics, but it's worth remembering that people vote on a range of issues in an election and just because your roommate voted for Donald Trump, doesn't automatically mean she subscribes to a narrative of fear, hate and bigotry. If your roommate believes in low tax, low welfare, minimal social policies and small government, then she was always more likely to vote for the Republican candidate, regardless of who it was. People usually vote on the wider platform, rather than a single issue or narrow set of issues.

Is she a fundamentally good and kind person who is easy to live with? If she is, try to put the politics aside. If you can't do that, you may need to look at alternative arrangements.

5. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll echo what Patrick said.

Of course, it is important to discuss politics, but we can't analyze people just by looking at their vote. Like said above:

If she is a good person, it may be worth to avoid this subject with her, or to keep the conversations about this short. It isn't worth to break the friendship with a good person just because they have a different view about politics (even if that view is totally wrong, in your point of view).

6. Sen1234

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It is just difficult because she really doesn't understand why people are so angry about the outcome of the election. She is frustratingly oblivious...

7. be chill

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    As an outsider, I think trump cant take down the laws that are intact on the society. Even half of the republicans support gay marriage now, so I dont think Trump will be a problem for LGBT people. And I do think that going against the election is pointless and just causes more trouble for the USA. He is an awful, sexist and racist man, but he was still elected. As a Turkish boy, I know that you can't complain about the result of an election, even though it elected a bad president for you that you don't agree ideologically.

8. smurf

This is not a normal election.

I would normally agree with Patrick, but when he fails to mention that at the end of the day, you have a group of people that decided that someone being homophobic, racist and a complete bigot is not a deal-breaker. And that is scary.

You won't get anywhere convincing your roommate, so I would instead encourage you to 1) find a support system, you need people to go and talk to and vent to. 2) if you feel uncomfortable in your current situation, start planning on getting a new place for the next semester.

9. seeking

Honestly...my advice is don't get into a conversation with her. Just live in the dorm...do your thing at college and don't get too involved in her personal life or her mindset.

Avoid her...next year you can request a different roommate (specific or non-specific) and if you are entering into Junior or Senior year you could be eligible to get your own place which means you can control more so who you live with...some schools have single bed dorms for upper-class students.

Don't talk about politics....just go to your dorm when it's time to sleep, change clothes, shower, or do your homework.

You already know how she thinks...there is no point in getting into some debate or anything. Sometimes it's better for people to not know how you think than to know how you actually think...especially when you are witnessing such behavior.

#9 seeking, Nov 14, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2016