1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My parents want me to be heterosexual?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by KartoffelWal, Aug 5, 2017.

1. KartoffelWal

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Like my dad actually told me to try being heterosexual and cis. He also said that straight girls have it better and that lesbians have no money...? I know that's not true, but it just hurts me that my family is still trying to change who I am. Anyone know any ways to be clear to my family about how this isn't a choice and I can't change?

2. Twist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your sexuality is your business. They can put as much pressure as they want on you, but that's not going to change what is an integral part of who you are, regardless of what they want. My suggestion would be not to try to change them, but instead ignore their judgements, words, and issues as if these things were rain dripping off a rain coat. It doesn't truly matter what they think on this subject, so don't let it.

Kira, Myclosetisfull and KartoffelWal like this.
  3. ff305

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    These things are so silly. Sure a person can live unhappy in a faux relationship/marriage with someone of the opposite sex, but it's impossible to change. People know too little about science, the brains of gay/bi/trans people is wired differently from birth. Turning the tables, it's like you telling your father to please become gay. It's just as impossible. If people had more knowledge the world would be a much better place for lgbt people.

4. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It pains me to think that parents still put their self-image above their own children. Thing is, you've been you all your life, you've just learned more as you went along and have become more honest about it. Forcing you back into a faux shell of ignorance isn't proper parenting, or morally competent. You're just as capable as "turning straight" as your father is "turning gay" and instantly generating a massive crush on Robert Downey Jr.

Though if they mention anything about "conversion therapy" avoid it at all costs. It's a fear tactic meant to make you afraid to be you. And also endorsed by our VP, so you know it's moronic. Right now idiocy is a popular thing in our country, but we've got to make it clear that in time knowledge always prevails. The dark ages ended once, and they can end again.

18breanna likes this.
  5. skittlz

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with everyone above. Also, if it is difficult for you to bear your parent's ignorant judgments, I recommend to try to find a support system irl (supportive people in school, work, extracurricular activities. Supportive friends) if you don't already have one. If it's too difficult, you can always find support with other netizens.
    You got this, Keep being you! :grin:

6. 18breanna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This still happens to me. It's apparent that my parent prioritises a "self-image" over letting her child live their truth. I'm in no way saying that your parents are bad or even uncaring, but this situation happens pretty frequently. Most parents have a picture in their heads of "what their kid will be like" and get pretty threatened when their child strays really far from this proposed ideal. Just explain this to them and tell them that no matter what you'll always be their child and will always love them. It may take some time, but they'll come to terms with this truth.

7. PoppyWoppy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    HI!
    If/when you bring home a girlfriend your parents hopefully will realise this is a very permanent thing
    <3