1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My mum's response

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Silverbirch, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Silverbirch

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, years ago I was in an open relationship with my husband and had a sort-of girlfriend. I felt it was a good time to tell my mum I liked women but because she was elderly and came from an era when such things were very much frowned upon, I expected some resistance and was prepared for it. This is how it went:

Me: Mum, there's something I want to talk to you about
    Mum: What's that love?
    Me: Well.....I like women in a romantic way as well as men.
    Mum: Oh you mean like *** (the woman I was seeing at the time!)
    Me: Um, yeah
    Mum: Okay

I was totally deflated!!!

I should add that I was going through a strong "I am bisexual" phase at the time and thought I'd always be in a relationship with this woman (and that I'd always be married to a man, too).

This is the only time in my life I've specifically "come out" and even then it was as bisexual, not lesbian. I have usually been pretty open when the subject has come up anywhere, but have never sought to make a point of specifically telling people. Not sure what I'll do now I've realised I'm lesbian not bi, a load of people think I'm bi and I feel pretty relaxed about the majority of them continuing to think that since they're work colleagues and other acquaintances, rather than people close to me.

#1 Silverbirch, Jul 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    Hillary B likes this.
  2. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well going around and "re-editing" their opinion of you is sort of like re-editing an EC posting. Eventually you say OK I'm done with tinkering. So at this point it sounds like you are past bringing up the topic yourself, and are comfortable handling it when it comes up by itself. Does that sound right?

3. Silverbirch

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess.

I swing from one notion of what I'll do to another tbh.

Some times I want to let people know because otherwise the assumption with those that don't know is that I'm straight. Other times I just can't be bothered. At work there's been a pretty massive turnover of staff in the last few years. When I think about it maybe 2 or 3 know (or were there when I mentioned it last (about years ago)).