1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My mother makes me feel down all the time.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by RainbowsFactory, Mar 21, 2017.

1. RainbowsFactory

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hello everyone! Before I start, I am 16 and I really do love my mum, but she has a very bad temper, and I mostly feel down and unhappy around her.

My mum and I usually have a pleasant conversation at first, but she will suddenly become angry at me either for a tiny reason, or something completely unrelated to the conversation. This happens daily, and I just am wishing for the day where I don't get in an argument with her.

Today, I just had enough. As I was brushing my teeth to go to bed, she came up to me and began to rant about how I am a "baby" and that one of my friends does "many charity activities at school" and that I "should start doing things and not do nothing". These words have really hurt me emotionally, and I just asked her to leave my room so that I can sleep (I am now writing this). I am annoyed because I do a LOT at school (I don't want to make it seem like I'm showing off but I feel like she sometimes forgets all of what I do); I get very good grades, I have to supervise younger students during my break times and lunch times, I help at the school library and I take part in the school club that organises charitable events. (Btw she got angry at me because she asked me to go to bed at 9:00pm and I was getting ready to go to bed at 9:30pm, which I do recognise as something that I did wrong, but it is in no way a reason to get so angry and to lash out completely unrelated things at me). :icon_sad:

I just feel really down and sad from what she always tells me. The sad thing is that I sometimes remind my mum that what she tells me is hurtful, but she then just laughs it off and innocently says that what she said was a joke. If these things were jokes, she would have stopped long ago.

My dad also sometimes tells my mum to not be so harsh on me, and he sometimes gets in fights with her, accusing her of saying hurtful things to him too.

I genuinely feel bad and I don't want to continue having such a toxic relationship with my mum. She does not acknowledge my feelings. I am sorry if this was so long and I sounded so whiny, but thank you for reading. What should I do?

2. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Your mom reads a lot like my mom. I've written a lot about her in past posts and blog entries. In all honesty, my mom wasn't prepared to be a mom when she had me. No mom is at 19 but with her abusive, traumatic childhood...she just wasn't ready. I've got story after story of examples of her being over the top about stuff, if you want to share stories over wall messages some time but im not sure your thread is the place for that.

In short, i get it. My mom is emotionally abusive, doesn't appear to be able to truly empathize with someone else and see from their point of view, and has characteristics that remind me of narcissistic personality disorder. What you said about you reminding your mom about something she said, only for her to say it was a joke, sounds like what my mom would do. Well, two things really - invalidation and gaslighting. Yeah i've done lots of googling on the subject. My mom would go a step further and passionately deny ever saying anything bad, though. She would apologize sometimes after yelling at me for one thing or another (and reciting her childhood in detail and how much she's done to make my life the total opposite ever single time in minute detail)...but eventually i got the impression she was apologizing to satisfy some social norm or whatever instead of actually apologizing from the heart.

However, it took me until adulthood to even realize that her behavior was wrong let alone that bad. What helped me the most is to tell myself time and time again that I am not responsible for my mother's feelings and reactions. I am not responsible for her feelings, reactions, whatever she's complaining and yelling about. All i am responsible for his how i conduct myself - the standard 'treat others as you want to be treated' type of thing. Talking to my dad more has helped - he disagrees with her behavior but unlike your dad mine will not stand up for me and never has. Finding a goal and looking for love/acceptance elsewhere has helped as well, because i have come to the conclusion that with my mom, her love is a conditional, selfish love that does not truly come from the heart so i do not believe she will ever be able to give me the love and acceptance that i needed from her.

#2 AlexJames, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2017
  3. A unicorn

I have a toxic relationship with my mom too and some of my friends have the same problem too. Some parents can never be pleased no matter what you do. They will always find a reason to judge you. To me nothing has worked with my mother.. you can't change how they are cause they are already too old to change.. you just have to do what you have to do and find a way to not be affected by bad comments from her. There must be other people in your life that can cheer you up.i try to ignore my mother when she becomes like this and I don't get affected by her that much but still would prefer it if she were different and more supportive to the things I want. You have to try to accept it without letting yourself be affected anymore to feel more peaceful:slight_smile: it takes some time but it's the only way I know. Good luck :slight_smile: (btw my mum never even apologizes eeever !! she just denies facts)

#3 A unicorn, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2017