1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My mom is married to my dad and now in love with a woman!

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by lifeinmyshoes, Aug 20, 2012.

1. lifeinmyshoes

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    My mom has been happily married to my step dad for 15 years and I love my step dad with all my heart. This (i knew she was lesbian) woman was my dads assistant coach for soccer. Her name is Monica. She is married to a man as well.(my younger brother found my moms journal and had me read it. I only read like 10 pages and was disgusted and stopped) Over the course of their involvement my mom got jealous my dad was with another woman coaching and started to involve herself in the soccer drafts and events. She started to make it a Ladies night out with all the women and wives. Then they took a trip to michigan when Monica made the first move on my mom. My mom ended up liking it. She came back from the trip and told my dad about having a threesome. He laughed and curiosity got to him. It was only suppose to be an experiment. Then my mom asked my dad if they could keep doing it, and he had a break down and cried. She says she calmed things down. On the outside perspective we thought my mom was having an affair bc she changed monicas name in her phone to dave from work and my sister peeked and saw nasty/dirty texts. So i confronted my mom and thats when she told us what was going on. not in so much detail.

It sickens me that my mom would have continued this after my dad didn't want to do it anymore. she thinks that her "calming him down" was a reason to keep going. She's had one failed marriage.

Anyways, so the journal goes she found a naked picture of monica on my dads phone and freaked out bc it was one she never got from her. and started to think that my dad was going to leave her for monica and freaked out on my dad saying it was gross and perverted to have that picture.

NOW i can tell my dad doesn't get to be involved in this supposed 3-way anymore its more of a my mom and monica thing. IM PISSED monica never told her husband. how is it fair that my dad has to know and he doesn't.... oh yeah thats right, because its not okay and wouldn't fly with her husband.

Reading the journal all my moms entries other than being gross (talks about the sex) are very very selfish with no care in the world for my dads feelings or her families. I told her i didn't like it. Im not anti-gay. I have a on of gay friends its the foundation of marriage that she is ruining. I suppose im also upset that my mom and i don't have a great relationship and she literally spends more time with monica and monicas daughter than she has ever with me. All my life my mom never supported anything i have done or attended my practices or games but now she goes to monicas games her daughters games. enrolled my sister in premier soccer so that she could be closer to this homewrecking monstrosity.

My mom deleted me as a facebook friend as well as monica when I confronted her about my feelings last year. The second somebody tells her she is wrong she disowns you and will hold a grudge. She literally is hating on monicas husband bc he sees her more than my mom, although i doubt that is true now. MONICA AND HER HUSBAND are psychologists... you would think that they would know how to talk this out better. She is ruining my family.

I got a talk to today because my sister told my mom i read her journal. I am being kicked out of the house for the disrespect (hypocritical i think). I read it so i could understand better what my younger brother was talking about (hes 15 and found it i hope he didn't read all of it). Instead of working with me or talking it out im told that its none of my business. How can something that obviously is affecting me not be any of my business. It is when I see my dad is super stressed and unhappy...he drinks a lot more. My brother and I agree that a divorce would be best for them. My dad deserves so much more than this. He deserves someone to give them their unconditional love (apparently my moms is conditional, im example A he's now example B). I only step up and say something to them because I care about my dad and it hurts me even more that he stands by her side in kicking me out because he'd rather not stand up to her. My mom is a bitch. Im only living here for 2.5 months more until i move to start my job and now? i can't even be here anymore. Oh yeah, apparently when i say things like this to my mom im dramatic, and so unloved and abused my life sucks (thats her mocking sarcastically about my feelings) Im so upset and sad. I literally stand up for my dad and my siblings and take the heat. I channel my sadness to anger sometimes because my sadness is seen as weak an hypersensitive by my mom.

What do I do?

2. lifeinmyshoes

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    any support back in this matter would be appreciated!

3. Jim1454

Hi there, and welcome to EC.

I'm not sure what to tell you exactly. The relationship between your mom and your step dad is theirs to work through. Your step dad is an adult, and he should be able to talk for himself. It also was inappropriate for you or your brother to read your mom's journal.

Your mom is obviously going through a difficult time right now. It isn't easy to reconcile all of the feelings that she likely has going on right now.

Have you had a private discsussion with your step dad? Maybe you need to sit down with him and share with him how you're feeling, why you're frustrated, how unfair you see all this as being.

In the end though, you can't dictate how your mom lives her life. It's up to her to work all of this out. It would appear that she's got her priorities messed up at the moment - and hopefully she'll come around and see the error of her ways...

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm with Jim. It sounds like a horrendous mess for everybody involved. And to put it simply, the last thing a soap opera like that needs in another participant. Let them sort it out, or screw it up further, on their own. Oh, and stop reading their journals and looking up their texts. That's kinda rude.

Lex

5. lifeinmyshoes

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I know what I did wasn't right. That is why I stopped. There were maybe 1oo pages. I only did it initially to understand what my brother was talking about. See we're not allowed to discuss this with anyone! Its some huge secret and my brother and older sisters are the only ones we can talk about it with because my mom will disown you if you dislike or talk bad about monica in anyway.

After posting this I did have a discussion with my dad. I was told from a friend that the opposite of love is not hate, but indifference, detachment. Maybe my mom deserves what is coming to her but i should always hold my big guns til the absolute very last second possible. That way i am stockpiling information at a rate that others are unaware of, therefore they are not stockpiling themselves bc they feel threatened. In the future that creates a power imbalance that will make it easier to detach from them which is the end goal of negative relationships.

Ultimately, I guess I am holding on to a family i wish i had and pine to have that will never be present ever in my life. The only two people I care about is my dad and brother. My mom has burnt every bridge we have had. So, I guess that I really do need to detach myself from a family that only brings me down and start over. I always wanted to have a family like all my friends where we are happy and can't wait to see each other and my weakness is accepting I can never have that until I begin a family myself.

This is going to be hard. because the one question that is asked to most people name the three most important things to you and most peoples answers are: family, friends, and education. Family WAS important in my fantasy land. NOT in real life. Am I cruel to say they have been negative influence in my life. That my sadness and anger are triggered every time I go home? Mostly, because of my mother.

My half sister (10yrs) told me the other day that sammy (monicas daughter) is more of her sister than I am. Thats bc i was away for school and she has no idea why sammy is over at out house all the time. :/

6. Aldrick

This is going to sound harsh, but I'll say it anyway. What is going on sexually or otherwise between your parents is none of your business. You obtained this information through snooping through your mothers private journal and private texts on her phone.

What goes on in your parents relationship is their issue. You're a kid. You can't fix their problems, and even if you could they aren't your problems to fix.

Obviously, you're worried about what is going to happen to your family. However, what does and does not happen to them is beyond your control. This is a relationship issue between your parents, and the last thing you want to do is put yourself in the middle of the mess they've gotten themselves into.

So, what do you do? Well, when you love someone you love them completely, flaws and all. You don't point fingers, and you don't place blame because that's none of your business. You create healthy boundaries - such as staying out of the middle of your parents relationship problems. You also let them OWN their problems and the consequences of their actions without taking responsibility for them. So, if something happens in their relationship and they break up, it's their problem and their fault - not yours.

By putting yourself in the middle of things, you're not helping. You're making things worse and more complicated. You are also interfering into a private adult matter that has nothing directly to do with you.

#6 Aldrick, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  7. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sure that I do not need to repeat what others have said, but I am sorry for what your family is going through. My parents marriage has been rocky for years, yet they're still together. I'm not a judgmental person, but inviting someone else into the bedroom, whether you are married or in a relationship is never a good idea. It's bound to happen, for someone to catch feelings and in this case it's your Mom. Please do not be upset with her or feel sorry for your Dad because they're adults, they knew very well what they were getting themselves into. And it's their problem to figure things out. I know it hurts for a family to become broken, but time heals all wounds.

Just be there and be supportive of both parents if things do go awry.

#7 pinklov3ly, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  8. Ruth

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I understand where you're coming from because I was in a similar situation with my parents. It sucks :frowning2: I don't think you can really do anything because it's up to your dad, he needs to set some boundaries between him and your mum and decide if he wants to continue the relationship.

How does your mum treat your dad?

9. Ianthe

Are you afraid that your parents will get divorced? When you first started you called him your step dad. Are you afraid that if they get divorced, you won't be able to have a relationship with him any more, or with any of your siblings that are his biological children? That would be something you could talk to them about.

Since you were kicked out of the house, do you have anywhere to go?

10. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As much as I don't think infidelity is okay and believe that all relationships should have full disclosure, I think as a straight ciswoman, you're failing to appreciate a lot of stuff. Like the fact that people hate us and want us to suffer and die or at the very least be ostracized and made to feel all-enveloping shame.

So to just say "rawr, I'm so pissed she didn't tell anyone" just wreaks of heterosexual privilege, I'm sorry.

11. Condorman

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    As someone who had a long term relationship and marriage (and subsequent divorce) to a woman who is now in a same sex relationship, I am not sure of what this privilege is? Seems to me it cuts both ways.

LIM Shoes:

This is your Dad's battle if he chooses to fight it - sounds like he needs to be far more assertive for himself and his kids.

If your parents don't want to be in a relationship then they should work productively to move on, getting support for themselves and their kids in the meantime. If your Dad moves on then let him know he will be allright, but you need to be looked after too!

You should not have been kicked out of home, to me that smacks of conditional love. Get some help for yourself if others aren't looking after you.

Lastly, my heart goes out to you.

12. lifeinmyshoes

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I just want to clarify I never went snooping except to see what my brother had seen, other than that it was the other siblings and this has all been relayed information. Im one of 6. The four oldest ones know the truth. Yes, he is my stepdad but had been my dad since i was age 3. So I do consider him my dad and if they were to get a divorce i wouldnt be worried about a lost relationship with him.

I really don't care to know what happens in the bedroom. I only care about the happiness of the family and others feelings. I have a huge heart for others. The younger siblings don't know whats going on because my parents feel like they need to protect them. If theres any need of protecting then something isn't right. I know that people can bully and be harsh on the GLBT community and that we are not fully at an acceptance just like race disparity and women rights. Nothing will ever be truly fair. I do feel that in todays generation there is far more of an acceptance and I really wouldnt worry about bullying from the outside. I went to that same school and my best friend was gay and there wasnt a problem and through college I find at least at Indiana University an even higher diversity and acceptance of the GLBT community. So I don't think I would be hurting them by letting people know. Hiding is a sign of weakness and low self confidence to be who you want to be and proud of who you are (IMO)

Anyways, I just want them to be happy. Im tired of a broken home. The advice you have all given helps a lot though. I understand its their business but to be completely against the actions they are making is none of my business would be wrong. If you want to have affairs and destroy a family well then they should have done a better job at keeping it a secret from the kids. regardless if the anyone snooped my mom obviously felt the heat enough to change a name bc the kids were calling her out on always texting monica and the soccer moms joking about my moms "crush" We are not stupid.

I mean if monica makes my mom happy then thats great, i don't like monica's infidelity but that isn't of my concern. My concern is that she can't have both monica and my dad and it work out. So if monica makes her happy then she should let my dad go and be happy with someone too. My dad cares too much about the kids to do this because he saw what my moms first divorce did to our family and my dads father was killed when he was 8 so he's against the one parent thing.

I wish they could just agree and work it out.

Im going to have to move 2 hours away to live with my grandma when I get back until i start my real job. I just can't believe that when my mom feels that you dont agree with her she says fuck you and gets rid of you. She has done this to many people and obviously family doesn't hold any importance to her either.

---------- Post added 22nd Aug 2012 at 01:08 AM ----------

oh and to answer your question about how my mom treats my dad... She just bitches all the time about everything. She is never happy. They don't really seem to mesh well at all anymore. Sometimes I feel like she wouldn't leave him because he is her financial backbone that allows her to go do what she wants when she wants. Without him she wouldn't be able to support more than anyone but herself.

13. Aldrick

Looking to see what your brother had seen, after he went snooping to see it - that's still snooping. You wanted to verify what he was telling you. The proper response here wasn't to go and see what everyone else had seen, it was to tell them that it was none of their business, that it was an issue between your parents, and that they should leave it that way.

This is good news.

Your parents are right in this case. They should protect your younger siblings by sheltering them from their problems. First of all, they are adults and they are dealing with adult problems. Second of all, there is nothing they can do to help solve those problems, because it's something they have to work out between themselves. You are in the same position as them, there is nothing you can do - no matter how much you care - and by trying to insert yourself you're only going to complicate matters and make things more difficult.

There is nothing you can do to help, unless it's to help shelter your younger siblings from their conflict. For example, if your father or mother need some alone time to talk - taking the younger ones over to the park or something, getting them out of the house, that's being helpful. Getting directly involved in their crazy hot mess? That's a bad idea, and it's only going to make it more difficult for them to sort it out.

Having never been LGBT yourself, you don't know what it's like. It isn't wise to pass judgement on something you can't understand by calling it a sign of weakness. It isn't a sign of weakness; it is a sign of a lack of confidence and shame. The shame exists because society constantly tells LGBT people that they are abominations, that they are wrong, sick, perverted, disgusting, immoral, and the list goes on. The fact that things have changed in recent years does not change the fact that this was the world your mother grew up in, and the messages she internalized as a child and adult.

As Pret Allez said, you're speaking from a position of heterosexual privilege and cannot understand. You're also at a disadvantage due to a generational gap - a lot has changed over the years, but your mothers experiences growing up were not your own.

Also, if you're thinking about outing your mother to other people... just no. No, no, no, no. No. That is such a horrible idea; beyond horrible. From an LGBT perspective, it would make you worse than anything she's done.

If you want them to be happy, then you need to step out of the middle of their problems and let them try to solve it as best they know how. It's for your own good as well as theirs, because if you put yourself in the middle you're setting yourself up to be blamed by one or both of them.

For example, if their marriage goes south and they get a divorce, do you really want your mother or your father pointing their finger at you? They both need to own their own actions and the consequences of them, by trying to put yourself in the middle you're effectively trying to claim responsibility for fixing things. However, you can't fix things unless they want to fix them, and if they want to fix them they still have to find a way to do it - which would likely involve seeking counseling (I hope).

I'm going to repeat myself yet again, you can do nothing to help them. You can only make things worse by getting involved. If you want to do anything for them, encourage them to seek professional help. By doing that, it might save their relationship, or help them separate on good terms.

Obviously, what happens between your parents has an impact on you. No one here thinks otherwise. You want to save your family. You hate seeing your father hurt. I think everyone understands that and sympathizes. But once again, you can't control other people. You can't fix something that they aren't willing or capable of fixing themselves. You can give them space, encourage them to seek professional help, but that's about the extent of what you can do.

Trying to do more than that is going to cause more harm than good, and is likely to backfire.

Yes, this is exactly the truth. However, this is something your mother has to work out for herself, and something your father has to work out for himself. How things play out - for better and for worse - is entirely up to them.

Quite obviously, your mother has issues and problems. However, you're father also agreed with her when they kicked you out. My impression from what you've written is that you decided to inject yourself right into the middle of their crazy drama, and as a result they kicked you out.

My opinion on how you should proceed is that you should apologize both to your mother and your father. Tell them that you decided that it was a poor decision on your part to put yourself into the middle of their problems, and explain that you only wanted to try and save your family. Tell them that you'd like for them to seek professional help in order to try and solve their problems, and that you're willing to do what you can with your younger siblings if they need some space to work things out.

At that point, keep your word, take several steps back and a deep breath... and then let your parents figure it out.

By putting yourself in the middle, you not only make it harder for them to deal with the situation, you put yourself in a position to attract blame should things go poorly. There is no way it'll end well for you or them, and it's even worse because you can't do anything to help them since all of this is on their shoulders.