1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Mom Is Being Difficult

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Mr Spock, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Mr Spock

So I came out to my mom. My mom sees hormones and surgery the same way she sees tattoos and piercings: She thinks I'll regret them 20 years down the road. She refuses to research trans issues because she thinks it will skew her view on the topic, but she says she loves me, and hasn't kicked me out or ridiculed me yet. But to her I'll always be her daughter. She thinks I'll just be content to look like an awkward girl in men's clothing with male style I guess. I don't know what to do. I'm not going to do anything drastic until I'm 18 and out of her house, at which time I will pursue hormones.

I don't understand why some Christians feel like hormones and surgery is somehow "altering my body in a way in which the Lord did not intend." Yet they are fine with breast reductions and tummy tucks and vasectomies and chemotherapy. What if I told someone with cancer not to take chemo because it was God's will for them to die? This makes me angry. Testosterone is not a body modification of the small sort, it will improve my quality of life and make everything easier. Urghh.

Any advice?

2. Lipstick Leuger

I'm sorry your Mom is being difficult. There really is not too much you can do except follow what you know to be true. I think it would be best to wait until you are out of the house to take T, but I don't see why you should not start to dress more masculine if you wish to. Also, your first priority is to find a trans friendly therapist. That will help you the most now.

As for Christians picking and choosing what they want from the Bible, it's not a new thing, but it is sad really when you think about it. Your Mom probs just needs some time to accept you and if you stay the course, she will have to eventually accept you.

3. I AM MEOW

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know if this applies to medical stuff, but if you are above the age of consent (16-17 throughout most of the south) you count as legally an adult in a lot of situations. There might be a chance of you being able sign the papers yourself. Although if your mom would kick you out this might be a bad idea.

#3 I AM MEOW, Apr 29, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2016