1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My girlfriend is being bullied because of me

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by natewashere, May 8, 2021.

1. natewashere

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi everyone I’m new here and having a tough time.
    I’ve been transitioning for 11 years and consider myself fully transitioned - medically, legally etc.
    Recently, somebody (I don’t know who, though) must have been deep stalking me because some really old photos of me pre-transition have somehow been leaked all over social media, not only dead-naming me, but tagging me in these public posts somehow!? I swear I deleted all of these photos YEARS AGO, and shut down all my old accounts from “before”.
    I don’t think I have any enemies? Well, clearly I do! But I never would have thought I would? I don’t really get into fights with people if I’m honest.

I have been with my current girlfriend for several months now, and she is actually my first girlfriend since I’ve transitioned. I had terrible luck dating until I met her due to being transgender.
    She knows I’m trans, and she completely supports and loves me just as I am. I couldn’t ask for a better woman to share my life with. I want to marry her one day.
    But now that this has happened, she is even being targeted.
    She’s been through a lot in her life, and as a result she’s become pretty tough, so she wasn’t really too affected by it at first, but now the abuse is constant. It’s all done on anonymous and fake pages.
    We keep blocking and reporting. We have both kept a record of everything and will be reporting this to the cops if it continues.
    We don’t bother to respond to these people/this person, but that doesn’t seem to be stopping them.
    As much as she’s trying to stay strong, I can tell it’s getting to her, and I feel like this is all my fault.
    She doesn’t deserve this kind of harassment and abuse. She’s done nothing wrong.
    It breaks my heart to even say this, but I have been wondering if I should break up with her, only and purely because I don’t feel like she deserves the abuse she’s getting because of her relationship with me.
    It hurts to see her go through all of this again. She’s had a really tough life, all her life, and has been bullied and abused enough her entire life. I have too, but maybe I on some level deserve it. She doesn’t.
    I just can’t believe somebody would out me like that, or why? Or who!?

I love my girlfriend so much. What should I do?

2. DecentOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC natewashere,

Sorry this is going on with you.
    Would you be able to go to the police with what you have now?

3. natewashere

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you,

Possibly? I say possibly because no threats have been made (yet), but it is all harassment, stalking and very obvious hate speech.
    I'm in Canada and where I live it’s usually taken pretty seriously by police, but I’m just not sure if we have much of a case yet?

4. DecentOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You say your girlfriend had a tough life. Did that include a stalker ex boyfriend?

What you describe sounds like someone getting personally back at you, or her. That can turn dangerous. Even if it isn’t threatening, I think the two of you should go to the police. They may not be able to help at this point, but perhaps would start a note and give you advice.

WindyMom and Shorthaul like this.
  5. DecentOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My second thought is to get advice (you, her, or both of you) from a domestic abuse hotline. Find out how _not_ to respond with this hateful stuff, and feel the support of folks who are trained to help.

I’m heading out, so won’t be online, but I’ll check back later today.

Sending good vibes north to Canada to you.

6. natewashere

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually she did have an abusive ex boyfriend many, many years ago, but he is in prison in the UK where she’s originally from (she emigrated here a few years ago) for multiple reasons!
    Also she changed her name upon moving so I highly doubt it’s her they’re targeting.
    Also this person knows my deadname, which is nothing even close to my name now. Unfortunately their issue appears to solely be with me. They’ve just dragged her into it, bullying her for being a *insert homophobic slang word for ‘lesbian’ here*, amongst other things, purely for being with me.

I can’t think who would be out to get me at all?
    We will definitely go to police.
    They also found out the name of the hospital where I work and have tagged them in these posts too. I found out after I was called in to speak to Human Resources and they informed me of it. Thankfully my work are all super supportive and they already knew anyway. But still, I think this person/people intended to get me fired too!
    It’s just insane.

7. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Welcome to EC, I am sorry that this is happening to you.

I have never had a partner stalked or attacked but I have been. Given that you say the police where you are do take such things seriously I think that you might want to try going to them with what you have. If it is not enough then they will tell you that and it should not invalidate you going back later with more. They might also have suggestions for you and be able to help you be safer.

There are people out the with so much hate that they will target anyone. This person may never have met you but has just found you to be a convenient target, maybe they saw something random or someone mentioned something about you. The records of us in our past are incredibly difficult to erase and sick people can use them against us.

Personally when I was assaulted and then stalked what I did was to erase most of my social media accounts, I was in California and there the police not only were not helpful they added their own hate to what I was already experiencing. In the one social media account that I kept I changed the security settings to be as tight as possible. I also started using a VPN to make me more difficult to trace. Another thing that I did was to pay a company (I forget the one) to actively go out and erase me from public data like phone books and such (even with all of that if someone were to make a concerted effort they could find links to my past).

8. Lemony

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh Nate, what is happening to both of you is beyond not ok. Cruel.
    Please contact the police about this. Just read the part that they found out the hospital you work at, I am lost for words. What ever you do, don’t break up with your beautiful girlfriend.

Tuesdayok likes this.
  9. Tuesdayok

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    F
    Firstly do not break up with your girlfriend. She is going to be your partner & is so worthy as are you. These online trolls are systematically targeting you in a viciously & abhorrently vile way. Online abuse & stalking is a criminal offence & uploading of pictures without your consent including tagging you is harassment & deliberately using an electronic device to insight fear, degrade, & humiliate you. Keep all screenshots including the time shown on the posts. Use of photos without consent is also illegal. Especially in the context of further deeply personal information regarding your pre-transition photos. Exploiting you in this way is stalking, & frightening that this “sicko” needs to know it is not ok. Proud of you for not dignifying this lowlife by responding because that’s what they want. Definitely you must 100% report to Police. You do not deserve this & your courage is indeed inspiring. Do not let this sicko make you question if you should break up with your girlfriend. Keep those who value you close & your partner is someone who loves you, & you care deeply for her too. It shows how respectful you are towards your partner to question if you should break up with her as she doesn’t deserve all the stress etc. Please do not allow this “sicko” to affect you & your partner’s relationship like that. You need each other & she is a keeper. Please contact the Police. The fact that the “sicko” has located where you work is frightening & further evidence of stalking. Deliberately stalking you is a crime. Please go to Police ASAP. I know it’s so stressful but this “sicko” has some sort of messed up agenda & now involving your workplace being called into Human Resources is further evidence the Police will use in charging this “sicko”. Stay safe. And please know we care about you & your partner, even if we are writing this from Australia. The laws of stalking are pretty similar here to Canada. Not Rocket Science. Sending hugs from down under..... KARMA

10. natewashere

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you for your replies,
    We have spoken to the police, they gave us an email address to forward all of the screenshots and other digital/photo evidence and links to these fake accounts to, because at the moment we’re on a province-wide stay at home order (again ) so they didn’t want to come out unnecessarily.

We got a call back within about 4/5 hours, telling us that they’ve managed to locate the owner of the accounts already, and will be physically going to speak to ‘the individual in question’ this afternoon (they must have already done that because the individual is now messaging me, begging not to press charges!). The police asked if I wanted to know who it was. I did. I’m seriously shocked because it’s someone I know vaguely from work, but don’t really associate with that much.
    Apparently she did it because she ‘liked me’. That makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever though!? As I say, I hardly know her! You don’t potentially endanger someone you ‘like’ and try to get them fired too, anyway? She’d probably harass my girlfriend, maybe, if she’s jealous of her or whatever, but overall it just makes no sense at all. I’m not buying that excuse. We were asked if we wanted to press charges and we’ve said we’ll think about it.
    She’s been ordered not to contact us again, and police have already told her that what she’s done is both illegal and dangerous. However, like I said, she has contacted me again in the last hour, begging me not to press charges, that she’s sorry etc.
    This woman is 30 years old - the same age as me. She should know better! It isn’t like she’s completely clueless as to what she did. She knew. I don’t believe her reasoning for doing it either! You don’t potentially endanger someone you supposedly ‘have a crush on’!?
    The transphobic and homophobic stuff she was spewing was so vile!
    Also, I can’t forgive what she’s put my girlfriend through (again!) either.
    She didn’t deserve that!
    I’m so confused and angry at this woman. I just do not understand it at all!

Tuesdayok likes this.
  11. Lemony

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You must notify the police that this person has continued to make contact asap and take snapshots as this is a form of coercion.

Shorthaul and Tuesdayok like this.
  12. Tuesdayok

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you for updating us on whats been happening. The Police told this “sicko” to refrain from contacting you. The fact that despite that they continue to contact you is a huge red flag, & intimidating or coercion of a victim to not press charges etc is even more serious. So this “sicko” has no regard for following clear directive orders by the Police to not contact you, & has continued to do that. They are no intimidating you, begging not to lay charges. Newsflash they’re not sorry. They’re sorry they were found out & got busted committing a crime. There was no remorse when uploading all those images & all the vile, abhorrently evil behaviour including stalking you. Now all of a sudden sorry. NO. They have actually by contacting you again firstly committed a further crime but intimidating , attempting to get you to not proceed with the charges etc is another crime committed. Attempting to intimidate a victim is beyond sick. You must please contact police urgently as they have no regard for right & wrong clearly & continued contact is against the law as is attempting to influence you to not press charges. That is actually worse as shows despite Police involvement the self entitlement this “sicko” displays is more frightening. Apologies just not going to sugar coat it. Please know we care about you, & your partner. Canada law intimidation is serious crime as is what they have already done. Please do not question whether or not to press charges as this “sicko” has made your life a nightmare & caused you so much pain & humiliation, degradation, inciting fear, just the “sicko” needs full force of law applied as this is not ok & they are a criminal. This further contact is alarming as displays disregard for the law & clearly not listening to Police orders. Please stay safe & if anything this is confirmation that charges must be laid as the sense of entitlement this “sicko “ demonstrates is very concerning. You & your girlfriend have done nothing wrong. This “sicko” is peeved they were busted. Well guess what Karma doesn’t forget & has an inbuilt GPS system. Please report further contact made despite being told to make no contact & that they are attempting to intimidate you, & interfere with the administration of justice by coercing you not to go ahead with charges. Too late. Go harder. This “sicko” clearly didn’t stop contacting you or using an electronic device to incite fear, & pervert course of justice by now begging you to not press charges. That in itself is disturbing. Please for your safety & your girlfriend’s contact Police ASAP. Sending from down under in

Attached Files:

13. Tuesdayok

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Apologies forgot to mention which Im sure you know as you are very intelligent Don’t respond to any messages from the “sicko”.

14. natewashere

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks both!
    Yeah we already reported the further contact too. We still haven’t engaged with her; she didn’t stop even though neither of us responded to her.
    I think they arrested her this evening? I’m not sure what’s going to happen next, they said they’d keep us updated.
    We won’t be bullied off of social media though; my girlfriend has relatives back in the UK she still stays in touch with and they use Facebook (her settings are friends only, as are mine) to message and keep each other updated.
    I also have family in other parts of my province that I can’t easily get to, who I also like to keep updated on things, too. So I don’t exactly want to remove myself just because of one deranged bully!
    It would be cutting off my support network, and that of my girlfriend’s, too.
    But yeah, we’ve reported her for trying to get us not to press charges. So I guess we just have to wait and see what happens now...?

I feel so awful that my girlfriend was dragged into this. She just seems so down and deflated and exhausted by it all.
    I know it’s partly my fault, and I want to make it better for her. :disappointed:

15. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am glad that the police are actually doing something. Her saying that she liked you is garbage. Continue to record her contacting you especially now after the no contact order and DO press charges. She is the one that needs to be fired.

#15 QuietPeace, May 8, 2021
    Last edited: May 8, 2021
    Shorthaul, Tuesdayok and Lemony like this.
  16. natewashere

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I completely agree that it’s garbage.
    You don’t out someone you “like”, or send them and their partner transphobic/homophobic abuse and plaster old photos like that around the internet to humiliate and out them like that?!
    This girl is not well, clearly.
    We are pressing charges and I’ve now had to make my workplace aware of everything.
    They’re super nice there and they’re very understanding and supportive, so I hope they don’t think I’m trying to cause trouble or anything. I’ve never had any trouble at work before, ever. I just wish I knew what to do about my girlfriend, I know she’s trying to stay strong for my sake, but I caught a glimpse of her breaking down over the phone to one of her girl friends yesterday evening and it just broke me. :disappointed:
    Feel like this is all my fault. She doesn’t deserve this either.

17. Lemony

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It is not your fault. :heart:

Shorthaul likes this.
  18. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is victim blaming, please do not do this. Both you and your girlfriend are innocent victims here. The fault lies entirely on your attacker.

I am glad that you are getting support from your workplace. Could you and your girlfriend get some therapy to help you both through this?

Tuesdayok and Lemony like this.
  19. natewashere

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wish I could help it, but something in my mind is telling me that if she wasn’t with “someone like me”, then this may not have happened. She moved here and her life became more peaceful, she was finally healing and then this happened.

She already has a therapist, I really don’t have the time for therapy - I work long hours as a nurse, and I don’t feel I need it anyway, personally. My mental health is otherwise pretty good considering.
    I used to have therapy years ago, but I got to a pretty good place in my life and my girlfriend has only made that even better.
    I can get over this, but I’m not so sure she can. That’s why I’m wondering if I should let her go? Because I love her so much, I hate to see her go through this kind of thing again.
    I’m pretty thick skinned, and she is usually too, but I’m guessing this must’ve triggered awful memories for her. She’s a lot more shaken than I am. I’m angry and upset, she’s genuinely afraid I think.

20. natewashere

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    By the way, I’m not looking for excuses to get rid of her or anything (a “friend” accused me of that already! :unamused:), it’s just that I really hate seeing her being targeted like this too, just because she’s with me. She didn’t sign up for this.
    Her most recent ex was a cisgender man, and whilst they didn’t work out, at least she never had any of this drama with him.