1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My cousin is getting married. I have to lose weight.

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Cas girl, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Cas girl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    * In India, call your cousin *cousin*is disrespectful. You are supposed to call them elder/younger brother/sister. So when I write brother or sister, I am referring to my cousins*

The family had gathered in my sister's house and my aunt drops a bomb. My cousin Appu is getting married. By May end. 
    :astonished:

I am totally not ready for this. I had gained 10 pounds in the last 3 months ( darn you pizza) and I resemble a whale.

Marriages, especially Indian marriages are brutal. Everyone is dressed to their nines and you have wear something loose and simple to cover your tires.

I have super models for cousins. My sisters look 20 even though they are 40. My 3 eldest sister is size zero. She looks an actress and she is the mother of a 7 year old.

I want to reduce 10 kgs ( 20 pounds) before the wedding. I have to wear a saree people. I don't want to look like a sea cow draped in a 9 yard silk cloth. :confounded:

Somebody please help me:tired_face:

P. S I am a vegetarian. No eggs. South Indian, so staple diet is rice. I have my weight concentrated mostly in my abdomen, hips, butt and arms.

2. faultyink

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    To lose weight, basically calories in = calories out, so just don't eat more than you think you can't burn off. Cutting out snacking/desserts is a big one, especially sugary drinks (a lot of drinks are empty calories :/ ). Try walking to places a lot, or take up running. Anyway this is all fairly common knowledge so I hope I don't sound annoying!! Basically just reduce your portion sizes, and exercise a bit more and you should lose weight! My friend lost like 50 pounds just by cutting out sugary drinks, so try that too. Good luck!!

Meander, Cas girl and Waffless like this.
  3. DecentOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are diets which will drop pounds. But I’m more concerned about the pressure you are putting on yourself just to be smaller. Are you healthy at your current weight? That seems more important in the long run. Can you be rebellious enough against society’s pressures (sexism) to be happy just as you are?

I’m sorry, as a male saying the above could come across as insensitive, I don’t mean it that way. I was raised to respect and advocate feminist ideals, I’ve never body-shamed any woman and wish our culture(s) would loosen up on lookism... it would be so liberating. I’m trying to write this like the way we here at EC talk about accepting our sexual orientation and looking ourselves in the mirror and liking ourselves for who we are.

Cas girl and SoulSearch like this.
  4. Cas girl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you. I am not able to drop the 1000 calories I consume everyday. I become tried easily and it affects my studies. I am joining a gym from next month though. Just have to prioritize.

5. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Whatever you do, be cautious and careful. An average woman needs to consume atleast 2000 calories over the course of a day according to various studies I've read. I'm sure most people get along fine with more and less than that as well, but the optimum is 2000 calories. Reducing the calorie intake to lose weight is fine. It's called calorie-deficit and the recommended deficit is 500 calories. So that means going down to 1500 calories is fine. I'd suggest you don't go below that.

Split the 1500 calories into 5 equal meals of 300 calories each. Or if you're used to the usual 3 meals a day regime, I'd suggest three 350 - 400 calories meals with the leftover 300 - 450 calories split into 2 - 3 snacks over the course of the day. While it is difficult to reduce the amount of carbohydrate you eat, in an Indian diet, due to eating curries with Rice/Roti, it isn't impossible to manage. Eating protein first, helps in filling the stomach/body up. Protein takes time to break down too, compared to the other nutrients, so it will keep you satiated for the most part till your next meal. Increase the portion of Curry/Sambar/Rasam/Dal you have and reduce the rice/roti slowly. Have healthy fats like Coconut, Ghee as well. They are good for health.

#5 Ram90, Mar 27, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    Cas girl likes this.
  6. Cas girl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No no, I understand the importance of accepting your body and loving it.
    I am obese. So not healthy. I have some health complications too. And also, I can’t find dresses that fit me. It is frustrating. I want to be able to wear what I like, without having to compromise.

A5A0160B-07B5-40A3-B4E4-0F6E24DD30C0.jpeg FEBF768D-7D18-4DF2-B2E3-D5D2A8375267.jpeg

These are the 2 dresses I want. I want it to fit.

7. faultyink

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    1000 is actually a good amount to consume per day. Just make sure it's healthy foods with nutrients that you're consuming, rather than empty calories (pop, chips, white bread, and juice, which even though people argue its healthy, juice is FULL of sugar)

Cas girl likes this.
  8. Cas girl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey. I know, the Indian especially the vegetarian diet, phew. Keto, paleo, nothing working. I am not working out at the moment, so more calorie deficit. But I will go back to 1500 calories diet after joining gym.
    Thanks for the reply though.

9. Cas girl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Even freshly squeezed and diluted juice?

10. faultyink

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I mean I'm sure there's some with lots of vitamins/nutrients, but for the most part there's too much sugar to consider it healthy

Cas girl likes this.
  11. Waffless

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have losted 70 ish pounds in a few months by cutting my meals a day to 2 meals a day, some things work different for everyone though so if this interest you it can't hurt to try, after only eating 2 meals a day I can't imagine how I put so much food in my mouth xD

Cas girl likes this.
  12. 18breanna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ketogenic diet worked well for me! Keto + a FULL BODY exercise regimen (focusing in on your desired body areas doesn't work unfortunately! I had to learn this the hard way!) worked a charm for me. I'm also vegetarian, so check it out and see of it's your thing!

Cas girl likes this.
  13. faultyink

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I started doing that too! it kind of becomes habit after a while too, and now i feel weird eating lunch xP

14. Cas girl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have GERD. So I can’t have longer intervals between meals. Maybe I will eat salads or nuts instead of carbs?
    What about banana and apple? Do they hinder weight loss process?

But my google search for diet for vegetarian keto yields diet plans with eggs as main component. We don’t eat egg. Against my principles.

18breanna likes this.
  15. 18breanna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
  16. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    @Cas girl You can maybe plan out a 5 to 6 meal schedule. Eating something every 2.5 to 3 hrs. Nuts and salads work, but in my opinion you're better off just eating what you normally do, Idly-Dosa-Upma, Rice-Roti-Curries type of thing. Just reduce the quantity, the amount of oil you use to cook them and try eating them. Dry curry in a small bowl is an excellent snack between major meals too.

Cas girl likes this.
  17. Cas girl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you. Will surely check it out.

What about fruits? And paneer?

18breanna likes this.
  18. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Fruits are fine. But be careful, as nowadays the fruits available in the market aren't authentic. They're injected with chemicals to make them seem riper and sweeter. And since fruits contain sugar to begin with, it'll be up on the sugar levels. So be careful. That's all. Maybe one or two fruits a day won't be a problem.

As for paneer. While it contains a good amount of protein, it also contains fat. Look up the average composition levels of paneer and you'll know.

18breanna likes this.
  19. Cas girl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    @Phoenix90 and @18breanna thank you guys for your valuable replies. I am joining the gym on Monday. I am going to start my weight loss journey. Wish the best.

18breanna likes this.
  20. 18breanna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    How do I view your account so I can reply : ) ?