1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My 8 year old son thinks he may be gay.

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by LaraCS, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Remember that no one can "diagnose"/discover the gender/orientation of other people, not even professionals/scientists. Only the person can look inside his/her own feelings and reach a conclusion. We can only speculate and offer support, but be very, very careful with "this looks like X", "this sounds like Y", because this may be really confusing.

Furthermore, i wouldn't talk to your son about being trans if he hasn't mentioned it. If he said he is gay, then that's the subject. Even if he is trans (which may not be the case), it would be up to him to talk to you about this. Don't "poke" the subject.

Aside from that, i'll echo what others have already said: It seems like you are handling the situation very well, and that you are an amazing, supportive mom! :slight_smile: Keep an open communication with him and keep supporting him and everything will be fine.

D Artagnan and Chip like this.
  2. LaraCS

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I will be completely honest and say I didn't consider bi dystopia's comment to be one of a diagnosis but rather a genuine offer of help and advice.

I will say my comment regarding my sons feminine expression was not meant to be a link to stereotypical 'gay behaviour' as I'm very aware that this is not indicative of being gay. It was merely adding a further layer to the complexities of my post. Sometimes the meanings can be lost in the written word.

I would like to again say thank you to everyone who has replied to my post. Things have settled at home and my son continues to be the happy little boy he always has been. I'm continuing to keep the lines of communication open, and haven't probed or prodded, but simply allowing my boy to come to me when he is ready. Life goes on and typical every day activities continue.

bi dystopia likes this.
  3. Maddox232003

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I still remeber myself being a little younger. Was dumber at first. I just pretend that i am not gay or anything and just normal. Actually i am very insecure. But well. I am glad that he have such a mom like you. You really did support him. If it was me, i would have been so happy. But now i am living with worries and all those...

4. MzMrAlexa

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Wow! Fantastic Job Mom! and Many great comments too in this thread. Often children know at an early age that they are different and have enormous difficulty navigating the sea of gender and sexual Identity, especially at the age your Son is at. I know for me I knew I was different from before Kindergarten and it manifested itself in a lot of little ways, from wanting to wear clothing of the opposite gender and who I identified with to naturally carrying my books like a girl instead of like a boy (on the hips instead of in the hand). In my case the resources and awareness were not there like they are today so expressing both genders wasn't even a thing back then.

Since your Son hasn't entered puberty yet the best advice I can give is to do as you are doing.. let him know that he is Ok and that there is nothing wrong with him, but that our society sometimes isn't accepting and also help him to keep an open mind. He may be Gay, Trans, or somewhere in-between or maybe even straight and he doesn't need to choose to identify with anything just yet because so many changes are going to happen that can change things between now and adulthood and the important thing is that no matter what ends up being right for him that he is happy and well adjusted throughout his life.

#24 MzMrAlexa, May 4, 2018
    Last edited: May 4, 2018
    DRobs and Caraldo like this.
  5. LukasNYC

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Amazing story and amazing mum!

6. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Just another person saying what a great mom you are. Your response was perfect.

7. MamaIcePup

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My son first came out to me as Bi at 14. I thought he was just trying to ease into telling me, but he said he really thought that at the time. I think he is still questioning a bit, but he knows I am there for him no matter what.

I'm glad you were able to bring his father in to the fold on it. Over a year later, I am still trying to guide my son on telling his father, but it is his decision. Obviously you have a very loving and open family and you reacted wonderfully.

Chip likes this.
  8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lara,

Once again, you're an amazing mom!

As for the whole transgender tangent... I would put zero energy into that. If every guy that dressed up in his mom's clothes when he was a little kid was trans... the world would be filled with trans people. And it isn't. The desire to dress up in all sorts of different clothes (men, women, comic characters, etc) is a common and widely understood part of being a child, as it is part of their exploration and stimulation of their imagination and creativity.

It is true that a larger portion of young boys who end up gay wear dresses and makeup as a kid, but again, this in no way is a predictor of their being trans. It's unfortunate that someone took a common childhood behavior and turned it into something that is overwhelmingly likely not to be a concern.

That said... it always helps to be open minded, and if your child does show other signs of that as he gets older, then it will be something to think about. But for now, as the old saying goes, "when you hear hoofbeats, think horses not zebras" applies.

merry, flitterpad and MzMrAlexa like this.
  9. merry

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

perhaps finding an art club or local theater group for extra curricular activities could be useful?

our kids joined theater between ages 6-12 and there were many kids who seemed to know their gender identities and orientations within the group.

the teachers there are great at diverting any bullying and it gave us an opportunity to discuss respect for all people with them early on. and gave the kids a place to make friends.

10. Gayspresso

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Your son is literally so lucky to have you. I love my folks, but they don't support me being gay. The fact that you made it clear that you would love and accept him unconditionally is nothing short of AMAZING... It's 2018 and even if given how public attitudes towards LGBT people changed, please try to remember that homophobia still exists. I'm not telling you to tell your son to hide who he is, but I'd want you to tell him that some people aren't as open minded as you are and so while hiding isn't necessary, it's still beneficial to be careful. At the end of the day, ALWAYS be there for your son,

11. InbornGame

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yep. I echo what everyone else has said. You seem like you’re a great mom. I don’t know that I could’ve told you at 8 that I was into guys, but in hindsight there were plenty of clues, and I think I always felt different.

The only thing that matters is that he knows you love him and will support him no matter what. The rest will work itself out.

12. Altanero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel very touched by your attitude. Your response was so incredible... as it was the correct one! If you built for your son a confortable space at home, where there are no judgements, where he can express himself with no doubts or fears... believe me (as everyone in this topic has already told to you): you will see the benefits of it in the near future. When I was a child (7-10 years), I couldn't target myself as "gay", but I knew I was different: I paid more attention to guys, I looked to them constantly, I wanted to be his friend; and, at the same time, I knew that my hobbies and attitudes were different to those that were "normal" for "regular" guys. When I was a teen and I came up with the fact that I felt attraction to boys, I was alone at home: the only attitude that I had ever received there was "We'll love no matter who you are... but you are not gay, you don't look like a gay person, we can't understand gay relationships, that's so weird!"

And... now I imagine having a home space where I knew that if I were interested in guys I could tell it, and it makes me appreciate much more what you've done for your son. Let him be: I know you are worried (my mother was, and is, worried for me too), but if your home is a safe space for him, you will not be worried at all for that context.