1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My 8 year old son thinks he may be gay.

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by LaraCS, Apr 7, 2018.

1. LaraCS

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hope its OK to post this tread as I was hoping to get some advice and guidance.

Today my 8 year old son asked if he could speak to me privately, so we went into his room. He told me that he had a dream about a boy at school and that they kissed and he likes this boy. We spoke for a little while and I reminded him what I always tell him and his brother...that you love/like who you love/like and that's OK. He said he didn't want to tell my husband (his daddy) but he had told his brother - who amazed me with his maturity.

For the rest of the afternoon its been on my mind so I spoke to my son again tonight. I felt like I hadn't fully understood what he'd said so wanted to be a little clearer. So it transpires that he 'has a weird feeling in his heart' and that he doesn't just like the boy, but 'love-likes'. He said he thinks he's gay (sort of). I've told him that no matter we will always love him and nothing will change that and that he must speak to us and ask questions and not bottle it up. He and I sat down and spoke to my husband and we've made it very clear that he's not alone and that he hasn't done anything wrong. He seems OK, although and little embarrassed, and has literally just come to hug me and say thank you for the support.

I have no idea if anything I've written makes sense. Just wanted some guidance if any one can offer it.

Thank you for reading...

2. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, you sound like an amazing mother. Your son clearly trusts you a lot to tell you that too, especially at that age. I don't really have any guidance but it seems like you've already handled this extremely well. I wish my parents were more like you.

Bud, jenne, illbehere and 6 others like this.
  3. LaraCS

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you Destin, that means a lot.

Destin likes this.
  4. 21zephyr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There need to be more parents like you. Accept what’s happening in the moment and love unconditionally!!

Bud, Richard321 and Destin like this.
  5. LaraCS

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You've both reassured me that we handled it correctly...phew.

I could never have reacted any other way...I adore my child. I felt sad for him, he looked so nervous and embarrassed. He's just so young to have worries about anything, I didn't want him to feel bad.

6. BadassFrost

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I also think you handled this very well. My mom have always told me and my siblings that no matter who we are into, she will always love us. And I assure you that a simple support like these words, and words you told to your son, is a huge boost to any LGBT child confidence and mental state, especially when it comes from a very close person like a mother.

kscurious and Richard321 like this.
  7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll echo everyone else's thoughts. You did an awesome job of handling this.

There are a lot of people who say they basically always knew. And these days, 8 years old isn't really that unusual in terms of someone knowing and talking about it. So it's pretty likely this is who he is. I'd say just support and encourage him in whatever direction his feelings take him. And it sounds like you're already doing that. :slight_smile:

Blanched and Richard321 like this.
  8. LaraCS

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you to you all for the lovely replies.

9. Caraldo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    At 8 years old it is certainly too young to know for sure, but I knew I was weird by then. The biggest thing is if he feels secure in his place in the family it will allow him space to contemplate his truth as he grows.

MzMrAlexa likes this.
  10. LaraCS

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is pretty much the question that's been swimming around in my head...I just couldn't understand how an 8 year old would know so early. He's only just turned 8 too.

11. xxCarsonxx

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Geez, I would love it if my family was so accepting.

You sound like a great mom! He probably isn't entirely sure, but it's important for him to know that it's okay if he likes boys. My advice is just to continue to support him like you have. :slight_smile:

Caraldo likes this.
  12. Caraldo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I wanted to add something from my own experience. I'm 46, and was raised in a small town on the eastern shore of Lake Michigan. I never became aware of what gay or homosexual meant until 10 or 11. A girl told me I was a homosexual and I was like "what's that?". I feared immediately that I was, based on the outsider feelings I had, and long before developing overt sexual desires, I was fascinated with certain boys from very young. I often would dream that boys I became infatuated with were my brother and weird stuff like that. If I had known when I was that age what being gay was, and felt like that was okay, I might have verbalized that at that age. Despite all my years of denial and lies....I knew I was gay in reality by age 4 or 5.

scs96 and xxCarsonxx like this.
  13. LaraCS

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you for sharing your experience with me, it really means a lot that everyone has been so open and supportive.

My son has always been very close with me and for many years he would dress up in the princess gowns at nursery and used to put a T-shirt on his head to pretend he had long hair. When he started primary school at 5 he was instantly accepted by the girls and to this day he has no male friends at school. Over the last 3 years he has never been invited to a boys birthday party and is very much excluded by his male peers.

A few weeks ago he told me that the boy he dreamt about had punched him in the face while he lined up for lunch at school. I asked why and he said he didn't know, that he wasn't doing anything to annoy him. When we spoke about his feelings on Saturday I asked him why he likes the boy that had hurt him and he said he isn't always like. I don't know if this is relevant but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Blanched and Caraldo like this.
  14. Biguy45

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I’ll admit that at 8 I didn’t even think in those terms. I suspected I liked both by 13, but at 8 I wouldn’t have had a clue

15. bi dystopia

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't mean to worry you any further, but aside from what your son said about liking the boy in his class, this description sounds a lot like there is a Transgender situation too. What I mean is - association with female things and friends isn't a sign of being gay in of itself, and plenty of gay men grow up being into boy things and having all kinds of friend groups including all men and mixed. It might be worth extending the conversation with your son to including that subject just so you're informed of the whole situation as it unfolds as he grows up.

There is also the possibility of course that he may be Bi, or some other gender variant. You should let him explore his feelings as he grows older and is able to work out how he feels and how he wants to define himself - rather than putting a label on it yourself now. He is only 8 after all, and is quite early for this kind of self recognition.

The other thing I wanted to say is this: Whilst it's really great and amazing that you have been so supportive and accepting for your son at home, you should exercise some degree of caution in terms of the situation at school and how open and or obvious your son is about how he feels - particularly towards the boy he has a crush on. School kids are notoriously ill informed and unfortunately there is often rife homophobia or isolationism towards anything not considered "the norm". You should therefore have some kind of strategy towards insuring your sons safety, wellbeing and mental health as he progresses through the school system.

Best of luck

#15 bi dystopia, Apr 10, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    Blanched and Bicchi like this.
  16. LaraCS

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The thought really has crossed my mind, bit I have absolutely no idea how I'd even start that conversation. This is a mind field at the moment.

I spoke with my parents I.e. about school and they advised very much the same. I've decided to keep this within the family and see how things progress before we start discussing it with teachers ect. What possible strategies can I apply? I just want him to be safe.

xxCarsonxx and Caraldo like this.
  17. Lacayda

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I actually don't see any valid reason for you to have a talk with his teachers. He's eight years old, he might not even be entirely sure yet.
    I don't think you are the one to decide if he wants to "keep this within the family" or if he wants to be open about it. Don't get me wrong, I think you handle the situation amazingly and you really just want the best for your son but coming out or not is just something he has to decide himself.
    Kids that age, or any age really, can be quite mean, so if I was you I would definitely have a talk about that. He has to know that other people may think of him or treat him differently (or which is probably most likely: not take him seriously). But in the end it's his decision.
    If you see a problem occuring, for example if he is bullied at school, you should definitely intervene and talk to his teachers about it but right now I really think you shouldn't.

#17 Lacayda, Apr 10, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    Bud and bi dystopia like this.
  18. bi dystopia

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm probably not the best person to offer advice on this, but will have a go. It may not have to be as defined as sitting down to have a conversation with him about it yet. Perhaps try things subtly; eg asking what he prefers between something strictly male and something strictly female, or offering a choice between the two and see what his first response is. Perhaps put on a movie with mixed gendered lead roles - like Star Wars or something and ask which characters he prefers. Or just ask why he prefers female friends to male.
    It could be completely unrelated to gender issues of course - if he experiences same sex attraction or has mannerisms different to most boys of his age he may just find greater solace with girls who may be quieter or less boisterous. If you're worried about him being alienated from male peers at school, perhaps look into something outside school where he has the opportunity to form male friendships and activities -such as the Scout Association (I think it would be Beaver age range at 8), which has a branch or so in most towns. Just some ideas there.

As Lacayda said, it shouldn't be necessary for you to inform teachers (or anyone else) about this until there is a problem which specifically requires their attention. Primary schools in particular probably won't have the resources or information to understand issues beyond basic bullying, particularly if they are under religious faction management, as many are. Also, however your son feels, he may feel some form of trust violation if he's only discussed this with you, but then you tell other people without his permission.

In terms of active strategies looking forward you might try:
    1) Talking to/informing your son about same sex attraction, labels, social implications in school eg kids reactions, being a minority, behaviour and mannerisms that may create problems at that age etc.

2) Enrolling him in a good secondary school where he is more likely to fit in/less likely to be bullied, eg not an inner city school, not a religious school.

3) Finding out about LGBT services in your area or at your sons secondary school. My Mum is an Assistant Headteacher at a Uk secondary school and she's mentioned that there's been support and information among staff covering LGBT kids and support - which certainly wasn't available when I was at school 10 years ago, but is great news for kids going forwards.

4) Keeping him informed and with access to information as he grows older, including community links (such as here on EC) and physical and mental health support.

I hope some of this may be helpful.

MzMrAlexa likes this.
  19. LaraCS

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Both replies have been immensely helpful, so thank you very very much!

The comment regarding the teachers was as a result of something I read about teacher support ect and this was something in the back of my mind that I thought may potentially be helpful. Don't forget, I have a million thoughts and worries swirling around in my head and so verbally airing them here seemed like the safest bet.

Caraldo and xxCarsonxx like this.
  20. DecentOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I was young parents would insist that apologies be made. I remember I did something, and my parents (maybe after calling the other family) marched me over to say "sorry" and shake hands. Is this an option?

Also, most schools these days have a no-bullying policy, and teachers are to monitor such situations.

The other thing to consider is that the other boy doesn't quite know what to feel about your child. I watched my own child at that age pretend-strangle another kid in the lunch line, and I knew instantly that my kid had a crush. I still said "don't do that!" Or maybe the other kid who bullied your kid has an intuitive sense of how adults would see his behavior... for instance school rules would have been severe if my kid had instead tried to kiss that crush in the lunch line (sexual harassment), but just a lecture for bullying.

#20 DecentOne, Apr 12, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2018