1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mustering up courage.

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by crazydog15, Sep 4, 2016.

1. crazydog15

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So as I've mentioned a number of times on here before, there are no LGBT meetups or organizations within hundreds of miles of where I live. (I know that's hard for some people on here to believe, but please take it from me that it's true.) But like almost all of you, I want to meet other gay people (in my case, men), not just for sex, but also to make friends and build networks. That means that I'd have to somehow start up my own group, and if I do that, there's every possibility that I'd become more or less known as being gay. How does someone muster up the courage to do that? It feels like a huge risk.

2. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey crazydog, from my own personal standpoint, I'm not sure I'd have that kind of courage unless I found at least one or two other LGBTQ+ people locally to support the effort. If you can or do decide to do what you proposed, MORE POWER TO YOU!

It certainly seems like a huge risk, but I would bet that you'll probably find more support (and possibly even more ignorance/hate) than you expected in the initial stages if you do this - especially from the younger generations, but I don't know the situation in your specific community. At the very least, you are old enough to know how to brush off ridiculous, unwarranted criticisms and be prepared to address baseline issues within your community about LGBTQ+ issues.

If I lived in your community, I'd be willing to openly back you 100%. But I don't, unfortunately. I've lived in very open and accepting communities in many places around the world (both small and very large) who are very accepting when it comes to LGBTQ+ issues (as well as unaccepting communities). In my experience, the personal charisma and respectability of an advocate can be a major positive influence to gaining wider acceptance in any community. But, unfortunately, until you try, you will never know.:dry:

#2 Quantumreality, Sep 4, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  3. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You could start by creating a website that someone in your community could find by a search. Sort of like www.lgbtpleasantville.com. If you could connect to a few people by email first, that might lead to the beginning of a group with little risk to you. Just a thought.

4. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, what Imgay47 said as a practical way forward!

5. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Crazydog

I know you did not have the same sort of luck connecting with the local gay community through hook up sites that I did.

Did you try an LGBT center in a larger town near you? Sometimes the right person knows the right person and they could direct you to something closer to home. I did try that here and it would have been great if I was a gay woman. Lots of semi published activities.

Regarding starting your own group. I know there are a number of meetup groups in the big cities 4 to 5 hours from me. I think you can start a meet up group and use that format.

I don't know your job situation. But have you thought about a gay vacation with one of these groups? I know one is in my area for a three day weekend hiking. It may be worth the effort.

6. crazydog15

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    First, thank you for your response.

I do have a small handful of gay friends, though I did not meet them online. Never know, though, maybe someone will turn up.

No such thing exists within a five hour drive. At all. But I appreciate the thought.

I am debating going to the next largest city and looking for a group like this; not to move there right now, but just to see how such a group actually works.

You never know. I'll stay open to the possibility.

7. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow! I thought I was in the sticks!

8. crazydog15

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status: