1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Musicals...

Discussion in 'Fun and Games' started by Elcar, Jun 12, 2022.

1. Elcar

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What is everyone's favourite musical and why...

2. Bludzee

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Cannibal ! The musical
    It's made by Trey Parker (creator of South Park), the song aren't really good, it's really cheap and I found it hillarious.

3. caden0803

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Tick tick boom is a personal favorite. I enjoyed everyone’s performance, I liked the songs, and I found the story to be very relatable.

#3 caden0803, Jun 15, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2022
  4. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Into the Woods.

This musical is my favorite for a number of reasons. Not only is it the musical that really got me into musicals and the Tony Awards, but it's like Joseph in that you can have a low or high-budget production of it, and make it work spectacularly. The characters in it start off what we know them to be, and by the end of it, they're extremely different. And they wouldn't have learned the things they did had they chosen not to walk into a forest. Their lives wouldn't have become better, or worse, or whatever. And Sondheim just so, so beautifully lets this become a huge metaphor for all the things we learn in life as we grow, as we change and become surprised at what even we are capable of. It's everything that writers want to make. Musically, it's so precise and addicting with all its fun cues and motifs that you could spend hours just going into one of them.

I don't think Wicked would have become as popular without it. On top of this, I don't think Frozen would have become the monster success that it is. This particular musical is a staple for theatre kids across such a huge part of the globe because of all these things and more. Many of the musicals we get now owe a lot to Sondheim's musicals, but Into the Woods is the diamond in the rough.

I'd also like to add here that I owe Into the Woods for my entry here. Well, at least to a degree. The musical encourages you to look at the way that you change, screw up, make mistakes, and learn and become better for it. When I joined, my school was doing a production of it. At the beginning of it, I was trying to be someone I'm just not. Toward the end of it, I was forced to recognize my true self, rather than my "true self" if I can put it that way. The process still continues as I get older, but I have a lot to thank for this musical. :slight_smile:

5. JayeJJimenez

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My top Musicals are:
    RENT.
    Sunday In the Park with George.
    Evita.
    Les Miserables.
    Come From Away.
    Heathers: The Musical.

6. Redmelon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Phantom of the Opera. Years ago in my teens I had the opportunity to interview the then Phantom and watch as he put on his makeup.
    Five Guys named Moe. It was fun the music was great and we got to dance along.

7. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My most favorite musical is "Man of La Mancha". It has an extremely strong story line that is a taken from "Don Quixote" published in 1605, so it has definitely stood the test of time! It won 6 Tony awards in 1966, one of those for Best Musical. The story is so strong...when Aldonza at the end says that her name is Dulcinea it's just amazing! (You have to see it to understand) I've had the honor to have been in the show twice; once as a 19-year old extra and then again as a 45-year old Don Quixote! So I guess that I am just a little bit prejudice! I also love "Camelot" and "The King and I" although I've never been overwhelmed with the way Yul Brenner played the part. He was too child-like and not enough king-like. I've had the opportunity to have played the King in "King and I" twice. "Les Miserables" is a fantastic show. I'd love to be in it some day. The part that I haven't played and would really like to play is "Fagan" in "Oliver".
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

8. JayeJJimenez

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Just to let you lot know that if you have access to Roku TV, Heathers: The Musical Pro-Shot at the West End is available on it for anyone who wants to step into that "Candy Store" and "Freeze Your Brain" with "Big Fun".