1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by MOGUY, Mar 10, 2019.

1. MOGUY

Woke up earlier than usual this morning and decided to listen to music after prayer time rather than turn on the tv. And I began thinking back to my childhood and how music helped to get me through it. I grew up in a very rural area with no kids my age around to play with. I have two older sisters but they’d already moved out. So I listened to a lot of music- (I’m telling my age here) The Carpenters, Elton John, Barbara Streisand (cliche, I know), Harry Chapin, Rod Stewart, Beatles, America, Bread, and others. Even today if I hear a particular song I am swept back to those days of confusion and melancholy. And I give thanks for being in a better place now.

SoulSearch likes this.
  2. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Moguy.....Iron Butterfly, The Who, The Beatles, Jefferson Airplane, and on and on!
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

MOGUY likes this.
  3. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Moguy, Quebec, Rock, other than Elvis was basically not allowed so for me it is Cash, Johnny Horton, Dolly, just about any country of the 60's - 80"s. My aunt gave me a Buddy Holly LP once, that was cool. Just finding and exploring the Rock and Pop of the 60's and 70's.

Minnesota Twins baseball on the radio during the summers also.

Dean

MOGUY likes this.
  4. Gutterpunk

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was more a fan of slightly harder rock like jimi hendrix, but I occasionally break out the one carpenters 78 I have and throw it on

MOGUY likes this.
  5. MOGUY

Some really great songs with moving lyrics from those two decades!

#5 MOGUY, Mar 11, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  6. Mystic flower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I grew up listening to that music and it does bring back comforting memories! Sad, though, I never got to see Neil Diamond in concert.

7. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I never really encountered most of the musicians mentioned above when I was young. The only exception was Neil Diamond (because my mother liked Neil Diamond). I probably heard some of the others in passing, of course.

I was kind of an unusual teenager in that I had no interest in the big names of the era. I might have been the only kid in school with a Mozart record. LOL It's sort of funny: I saw a CD of great hits from the 1980s at Goodwill in the last 10, 15 years. It occurred to me that the CD covered the era when I was in high school, and yet none of the names were recognizable.

Although I later broadened my horizons. Used records were really cheap 20 years ago, which helped encourage exploration. I collected several Carpenters records about 20 years ago. Some other purchases were influenced by seeing old Ed Sullivan Show reruns.

It is interesting when something reminds one of a previous chapter of life... Sousa Marches (particularly "El Capitan") reminds me of when I was in 8th grade band. Beethoven's 5th symphony reminds me of early high school. Some Neil Diamond songs remind me of my mother playing records when I was in early elementary school.

#7 BMC77, Mar 28, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
    MOGUY likes this.
  8. SevnButton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think for many of us, music is sort of woven into our souls, so that hearing music does take us back to the period of our lives that we associate with that music. When I hear the beginning of Santana's 3rd album, it takes me right back to Tower Records in San Francisco.

9. Sundara

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I am living in Indonesia and I grew up in Java Island. That all songs you mentioned are my songs too. I have similar condition with you and I have power to pursue what I dream when I listen to a melancholic song.
    Greetings from Indonesia.

10. Lgbtqpride

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I like troye sivan.Some of my favourite are swimming pool,lost boy,strawberries and cigarettes.

11. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well yes yesteryear rock music was fabulous but LP album covers where hot, specially covers with men's mid-sections! (hey there was no internet back then and Play Boy just didn't cut it for some reason.)

12. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Great album and going to Tower Records (there where other Tower Records in other cities as well) felt liberating. Tower Records is where the cool kids hung out and I pained to be cool so I'd try to the record store often.

#12 brainwashed, Apr 3, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  13. SevnButton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah! Three Dog Night had an LP with a photo inside the album cover, of the band in distorted colors. They were buck naked but strategically covering themselves. I spent a good long while with that album cover! :slight_smile: