1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Multiple terrorist attacks at Belgian airport and metro station

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by AlamoCity, Mar 22, 2016.

1. AlamoCity

2. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Naturally, as media will infallibly tell us, this has absolutely nothing to do with islam.

3. TXTurbo90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's not normal Islam... It's Islamic extremism. I think a lot of the issues with dealing with this problem is that people refuse to make that distinction. Just as Christian extremist have committed more "terrorist attacks" on U.S. soil than Islamic extremist, but somehow they make a distinction for that group of nutjobs compared to the vast majority of christian people (without getting into the history of any religious groups' tactics to convert everyone else to their story over another)

Note: I am somewhere between atheist and agnostic, and am not supporting any religion over another.

4. alextiago

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    waking up and immediately see this...what a world, full of hate. When this is gonna stop?

5. lemons123

And as always the mayor of Brussells will blame now everything on immigrants from South-Eastern Europe(Bulgaria...) and praise the exotic, brave culture of far-right Islam...

6. ouji

ouji Guest

Latest reports say there are now 28 dead. My thoughts and prayers go out to all the victims and their families.

7. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    End of Schengen?

8. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Killing in the name of God. Just perfect.

9. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Unfortunately, it was bound to happen.

Daesh has been trying to do an attack in Brussels since before the Paris one. They got stopped that time, but not today. I'm sorry for all the victims and their families. The world really is a fucked up place :/

10. GayBoyBG

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Damn those radical catholics, always blowing up for the name of Christ.

Now, on a serious note, when I was growing up the closest bombs and terrorist attacks to me were those in the Middle East. I just can't begin to imagine how much the world has changed since then. Is -this- what the future looks like????

11. Soundwave

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Welcome to earth aka hell I wish people would leave each other alone!

12. BelleLey

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    France and now Belgique ... I'll never understand how someone can do that.

13. The Wolf

For the destruction of Europe. We accept them in our countries and look what they do to us. I'm wondering why they find 'good' to kill people in the name of a god :bang:

14. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Last night before I went to bed, I received a CNN alert on my phone saying that there had been "blasts" at a Belgian airport and I hoped that when I woke up I'd find that it had been nothing or at worst only a few people had been injured. Was disappointed, but not shocked, to see that we have another Paris-style terrorist attack in a European city. It's only a matter of time before ISIS takes responsibility.

15. guitar

The Islamic State is claiming responsibility according to the New York Times.

16. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    There's been police raids going on in Belgium for several months. About a week after the attacks, I heard that police were able to prevent another Paris-style attack just hours before it happened. At the very least, we can say this attack isn't as large-scale as it could have been. Still, any terror attack is horrible. Sad to see that they succeeded in taking lives with them.

17. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Not all muslims are suicide bombers but all suicide bombers in Europe have been muslims. I have actually studied the tradition, history and the Islamic religious texts that form the core of their beliefs with some of their scholars. Islam is fundamentally different from any other religion that it also imposes a political structure based on the religion. It is dangerous to ignore this fact. Many muslims who don't support terrorist acts however refuse to hand over terrorists to infidels. This was evident with how the Paris terrorist was able to hide in Brussels.

Most muslims luckily don't have a clue what their sacred text tell them to do because it goes against everything we hold dear. The terrorists are very much aware of what their texts say and they are affluent and well educated. Nothing would be a clearer indication that it is the religion that is core of this issue, not US foreign policy, Israel or imperialism. Suicide attacks are nothing new but a continuation to a millenia old of tradition. The new thing is the high explosives.

Believe it or not but some European medias claim that ISIS has nothing to do with islam. ISIS is practicing the purest form of islam - the kind of islam that Mohammed and his followers practiced. The kind of islam that brought the Ottomans to be the dominant force in the Middle East, the islam that conquered everything from Spain to India and from Turkey to Ethiopia.

I have know someone whose cousin joined ISIS in Syria. This person is an atheist and told me that the Westerners don't understand how dangerous ISIS is. Among all countries there are hundreds of thousands of muslims willing to join the ISIS cause but at the moment unable to go. Some of the islamic values are utterly incompatible with our values and there is no way around it.

This all makes me wish Trump was running for president in Europe.

18. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Why Belgium?

I know, right? Pesky IRA

19. lemons123

Well about the future: A good question to ask is why were there no such attacks some 10 yeas ago or so? Obviously it all started from Western policies, especially "thanks" to George Bush and his Iraqi invasion. 9/11 is unproven especially since Bin Laden rejected responsibility initially. Before that the only prominent Islamic terrorist act that I can think of is Lockerby.

Which of course does NOT excuse the responsibility of ISIS and the likes. We can call the whole mess a Western/ISIS Frankensteinish monster.

#19 lemons123, Mar 22, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  20. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The troubles was NOT a religious conflict although religion played a role in it. The conflict was fought between those who wanted the Northern Ireland to remain British (loyalists who were mostly protestants) and those who wanted it to join the Republic of Ireland (the republicans/nationalists, mostly Irish identifying Catholics).

The conflict had nothing to do with imposing the religious will of one group over the other as is the case with ISIS.