1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving Out Before Coming Out?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Snidi, Jul 9, 2021.

1. Snidi

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Did you feel it's most beneficial to come out as non binary (or trans) while living at home, or waiting to move out?

In my case, my family isn't overtly bigoted, but doesn't seem super embracing of trans or non binary people either. I'm concerned that coming out at home will make the household dynamics negative and stressful, so it may be best to move out first (I hope to be able to do so shortly). What are everyone's thoughts?

#1 Snidi, Jul 9, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
  2. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    That kind of depends on how old you are, if you have a job with which you can support yourself, where you live and what kind of support structure you have around yourself at the moment?

Beth

3. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Snidi.....I think that you already know the answer. You said " I'm concerned that coming out at home will make the household dynamics negative and stressful". I think that your answer is right there. Don't second-guess yourself. If you are indeed going to be moving out shortly, go ahead...move out and get settled into your new place and then come out. You'll avoid any chance of a negative atmosphere where you are living causing hard feelings or just a difficult situation between you and your family when you are living with them. You'll be able to visit and then go home where there is no problem...you can even cut the visit short if the "atmosphere" gets problematic, which you couldn't do if you lived there!
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

Mihael likes this.