1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mostly a rant about a certain transphobic father, kinda need to blow off some steam

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by BluhImCourtney, Jun 2, 2015.

1. BluhImCourtney

Okay, so here's the deal; my dad is kind of a jerk on general, but ever since I came out to my parents a little over a year ago (I think), it seems like it's getting worse.

I think he's generally verbally and emotionally abusive, but I wouldn't bring him to court, if that makes sense. He yells way too much, shouts profanity at someone (only when he's with us - me, my mom and my brother. Outside, he (mostly) keeps it in, but when we get in the door...), name-calls (prick, bitch, etc.), and other things, and when people tell him to calm down, or call him out on his "abusiveness", he says, "oh would you rather have someone who gets drunk every night and beats you?" As if comparing one type of abuse to another makes sense. Sure. Whatever.

Anyways, ever since I came out to my parents, I've constantly heard him mouthing off about me to my mom, thinking I can't hear what he says. Things like, "he wants to be a girl?" and "he's only doing it for attention," still sometimes telling me to "be a man" when I have a huge depressive episode. "Be an adult" sounds better, don't you think? He has this whole misogynistic point of view, even getting mad at my mom if she screws up something whole cooking, as if he could do any better. He NEVER makes dinner, who is he to talk?

Like holy crap.

He acts like he knows everything, but doesn't know anything, and says everyone else is stupid.

He just irks me alot.

And rant probably half way done, but my fingers hurt.

2. Sam I Am

Re: Mostly a rant about a certain transphobic father, kinda need to blow off some ste

Dealing with unsupportive family can really suck, so you have my sympathies! I don't know if your dad will come around, but things usually get easier once you've moved out of the house and your parents don't get to see you except on your own terms. Your profile says you're 17 - you're almost there!

3. BluhImCourtney

Re: Mostly a rant about a certain transphobic father, kinda need to blow off some ste

Yeah, I know. Sorry, just had to get that off my chest.

I love my mom, though, she's so accepting... but my dad knows nothing, and claims to know everything. *sigh* ._.

4. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people

I used to live with a nutcase stepdad pretty darn similar to that. I was patient, and he got kicked out. Trust me, it's impossible to understand the mind of an individual, when there is no individual mind in the first place. :dry:

Sadly, it's a terrible position to be in. Those sorts of parents like to treat people like property.
    If you have any opinion different than theirs, they want to make you "obedient".
    Like to drag you around, boss you around. Makes every day feel like a year. But, when you finally get away from them things get much, much easier. Ya just gotta hang in there and wait it out I guess, all bad things must come to an end, no? Wish you luck. :icon_sad:

5. BluhImCourtney

Okay, the last half of that is so true in my situation.

Oh, and I think my mom's considering a divorce, because she knows it just isn't healthy. If she does get a divorce, hey, I can get a brand new start in Oregon (family there), and my mom's maiden name goes so much better with my chosen name than my father's last name. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

... yeah, I think joking about it is my way of dealing with it. I mean, I've lived with both of them for 17 years, if they do get divorced, it'll be something completely different than what I'm used to, even if it'll be "better". ._.

Aaaaaaaaand now this probably belongs in the family and relationships section... is there a way to move the entire thread there or something, or should I just stop here, since my rant is over? ._.

Oh, and thanks for talking, got even more stuff off my chest. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#5 BluhImCourtney, Jun 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  6. BluhImCourtney

Well, on the car ride back home from the local LGBT center, my dad called me Courtney.

I almost wanted to start crying. ._.
    I thought he would never do that.

7. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people

Holy nuggets, congrats!
    That's a pretty big step! (*hug*)

8. AlexTheGrey

Congrats on that.

There's still a long road ahead, but that is a positive step in the right direction.