1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Most offensive thing your family has ever said about LGBT people?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PositivelyMe, Dec 12, 2014.

1. CassieMaes

Ummm, my family is pretty okay with lgbt I guess... but then again they are a product of their time so I don't blame them as much when they accidently get something wrong. My friends however..... now that's a different story.

We were in science class and we were doing sex ed and I brought up why we hadn't covered lgbt yet, the teacher apologised and spent the rest of the lesson teaching us about it. About half way through the lesson one of me (ex)best friends sighed and asked why we were learning about this in science (we were on to talking about trans people by now) and that you are either born a boy or girl and that it depends on what body you were born with. Both me nd the teacher started answering at the same time but the tea her told me to continue- so I explained that someone can have xy chromosomes but their mother hadn't provided enough testosterone to give them the male body, and the person I was explaining it to was sitting there bored the whole time and after I finished she was just like "well, it's not normal"

And I swear that she was dropped on the head as a child because I HAD JUST EXPLAINED WHY IT WAS NATURAL AND NORMAL TO HER :tears:

2. lawlight

"Trans people should not be protected ever because it was their decision to be trans in the first place. Clearly if they're harassed, it's their own fault."

-My parents (unfortunately I'm too closeted to argue too vehemently.)

3. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My parents say stuff like that, too.

"Like, I understand the idea that you should be free to live your life as you please, but trans people... There's a certain limit. Sometimes people take this idea too far."

:bang:

4. bruh

bruh Guest

my mom called my ex a freak after i told her we were a thing

5. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Queers and fags, they're fuckin' perverts!"
    -- Aunt Susie

My parents never said anything about LGBT. Complete silence. A blessing and a curse. But Aunt Susie was something different.

6. hptrek314

Living in the South the real question should be what HAVENT I heard! TBH most is from my loving, but ignorant family that doesn't know their daughter is a lesbian whoops:

"Everything is gay now. Glee, Bruce Jenner, that girl on Pretty Little Liars, why does it all have to be gay?"

"So is (insert childhood friend's name) still bisexual?"

"So does (insert old classmate's name)'s FB still say their name is (insert name they go by after going MtF)? Haha that's so funny that little (their original birth name) is a girl now!"

"Do you ever see any of the gays when you're up at school, or is it all normal preppy white people?"

(On the bathroom issues for transgender people) "Umm i'm not tryna have some perv in there when i'm trying to pee" ALMOST slapped them for this one

"Your cousin is a lesbian living in Utah, you have to meet her, she has two sons that aren't hers, they're her partners, hehe isn't that funny?"

The worst...

7. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Pretty much. Ignorance breeds at nearly as rapid of a pace as the local flies, except it doesn't settle down in the winter. Staying home and indoors everyday and avoiding social media doesn't even filter out half of it for me.

They can say all that, but if I dare say something in return suddenly I'm the bad one. I wish they would do some research before attacking.

8. YinxYang

Long story short, my brother has a double standard and only respects gender identity based on how well a person passes. If he deems that a trans-woman looks female, he regards her as a woman. If she looks masculine, he regards her as a man. I'm not sure if he was just ignorant about what a trans person's situation actually is, the commonality between hormone treated and non treated trans people, or if he is a willfully ignorant bigot. I was so hot with fury that I couldn't think.

I was driving my brother home. We were talking about something gender related and he said "you can't tell now days," when trying to determine someone's gender by their appearance. He brought up a coworker who dresses in feminine clothes, whom workers refer to with female pronouns, whom he referred to with male pronouns. "He's a guy who likes to wear make up and dress in women's clothes." I asked, "did you asked her what she wanted to be called?" He insisted, "he is a man, his name tag has a males name, and I can see that he is a man." He went on to talk about a trans woman who was jailed in a male prison with a completely different attitude. He spoke about the situation with horror and concern for a person he regarded as a woman. He consistently referred to her with female pronouns and that she was female. "She looks like a woman but was born with female genitalia." I said "it's a difficult situation to be transgender, given the lack of education about it." He followed with something like "yeah, but I don't want my daughter going in the bathroom with a man who 'thinks' he's a woman." I erupted on him, but I was so flustered that I sounded like a crazy person. He said, "chill, we're all entitled to our beliefs," as if his beliefs were innocuous.

#168 YinxYang, Oct 10, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  9. Cedar

"Trans people just want to prey on children, they should just use the bathroom that is right for their sex!" -my aunt

"I had a trans "man" today at work, she was hideous. I don't want that life for you." - my mom

10. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This thread makes me mad and upset. >.<

11. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Pervert", "Disgusting" - my mom.

"Who mentally healthy would want to look like that?" Me, mom. Thank you -_-

12. babysnakes

Out Status:
    Some people
    My mother told me that if I were to marry a girl, she would be unsure if she would attend my wedding(she thinks I'm still a girl). But when I asked her I could see it in her eyes she was going to say no. Not even because I'm her own child, but the gender of who I'm marrying. I wonder if she would rather me marry a really nasty criminal man who does drugs than marry a super sweet girl who treats me better than I do myself. My mother also says that supporting lgbt+ rights is against Christianity, and feeling romantic attraction to the same gender is unnatural. She also asked me once if I was "trying to be a boy" because I wanted a super short haircut and was wearing a masculine button-down shirt, and then said "please don't ever be a boy. God made you a girl. You are a girl."

#172 babysnakes, Oct 13, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  13. MalteserScoffer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Someone who shall be nameless said they thought that transgender people "Weren't all right up here"(tapping head). When I asked what the person meant, they said "Well, they've probably suffered some psychological trauma or something in childhood that would make them want to become a different gender".

14. Schmosefine

My grandmother recently said that she thought lesbians were disgusting and that she just couldn't help feeling that way. Guess who's getting a truckload full of coal for christmas.

#174 Schmosefine, Oct 14, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  15. RainydayTofu

RainydayTofu Guest

Yesterday my dad came back from the pub and was moaning about how there was a gay couple there, and how, with gay couples "One of them's always camp and effeminate and the other one's normal". He then went on about how in lesbian couples (he never actually uses the words 'lesbian' or 'gay', always 'homosexual' *cringe*) "One's always butch and the other's normal"

I made a mental note to add another 5 years on to the time I plan to come out! (so never+5 years :dry:slight_smile:

16. oopslmao

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Every time my dad sees something on the news that he doesn't agree with, he likes to talk about how "the fags" are behind it.

17. nightowl88

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Talking about my trans friend my dad has asked my several times if she is really trans or just saying she is because she has a growth hormone deficiency and hasn't started pueberty yet and I can't even remember how many times I have heard people go he she it about her and not a family member but I kid on the bus told my friend that they refuse to sit with it. I have also been told several times that while I am supported in mt decision I will end up with a guy in the end and grow out of my dysphoria and the want to be a boy. My family is extremely supportive of Everyone they just aren't very well educated on it.

18. Mahidevran

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    "Gay men should be caged with monkeys so normal people would watch them in the zoo." - my father.

thank you, really.

19. Amdukias

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My mother actually called trans*people "Freakshows for the media".
    (My sister started crying cause it just shocked her how our mother could say something like that afte I just came out 5 minutes before.)

20. zappa

My mom once compared gay sex to pedophilia and bestiality. I was shocked and didn't know how to even react to that.
    Mostly it was just unspoken hate. Whenever there was some channel with an ad showing stuff like that, my dad would change the channel immediately.
    One of the worst was how my dad said he lost complete respect for a celebrity when he found out he was gay. There's a reason I haven't come out to him yet.