1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Most offensive thing your family has ever said about LGBT people?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PositivelyMe, Dec 12, 2014.

1. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've managed to be incredibly lucky with this type of thing in that so far, Nobody has said anything really bad to me. The only instances I can think of is before Gay Marriage was legalized, my mom said the whole "It should only be between a man and a woman" thing but that was also over a year before I came out and now she's fine with it. Besides that, my cousin only said he doesn't support it and tends to ignore my sexuality anytime we're together at a family gathering but he only visits maybe twice a year.

2. Vesta

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good heavens above, that's absolutely awful! :frowning2:

Forcing yourself upon somebody who isn't attracted to your gender/sex isn't going to fix the issue. If they weren't interested before, they most definitely wouldn't be after they were raped. Some people's logic truly baffles me.

3. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    After I expressed criticism of Elton John and his husband adopting a baby, my aunt said "That's wrong" referring to the fact that they were gay. My criticism was over Elton's age.

4. lovetoomuch

Soon after I came out to my family, we were discussing everything and they said, "Well you're not going to come out as trans right?" I was just bothered how they made being gay "sound bad" and then being transsexual sound "even worse"... at least that's how I took it.

5. animequeen567

Several things but I blocked a lot of it out. I remember that my dad used dyke a lot. My mother saw a lesbian couple with kids and said that it was disgusting. They met my ftm friend once and his name is micheal. When he left my mom said "I think he used to be a michelle" I hate that. I had to keep telling her to stop. My dad wasn't any better calling him "just an ugly girl", it, and downright refusing to use the correct pronouns.

6. YaSabesQuien

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My family doesn't care about what gays do but they still say some nasty things about the community.
    In Mexican Spanish there are so many bad words for homosexual and my family uses all of the,.

7. slickrick

slickrick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I get why people find it hard to understand gender non-conformity and think a lot of the time these kind of comments stem more from ignorance than malice. At least your dad took it back.

8. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    "Most gay men are pedophiles."-my dad. And this was after I came out as bi.

9. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    My family hasn't said anything offensive, honestly. My mom just doesn't like it when gay guys act extra. Like Jozea from Big Brother. I really hope I don't encounter a guy like him. I will say that some gays should tone down on the flamboyance.

10. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I haven't read all the responses on here, but these have disappointed me the most so far...

11. candyjiru

All of the usual Bible stuff, "fudge packers" and limp wrist motions get thrown around a lot... my sister said gay people (specifically 2 lesbians she saw sitting together in church) shouldn't even sit together because it was disgusting... But the thing that sticks with me is the many times my parents have told me, "Thank you for not becoming a lesbian" ...sigh. So. Many. Times.

12. TheChainedPegasus

Out Status:
    A few people
    87 yo grandmother : "I dont' know how someone can be gay".

Yeah, that's it, my family is pretty cool.

13. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Whenever my parents watch Strictly, they always make it a point to point out those who they think are gay, and claim that gay men shouldn't be allowed on the show because it gives them an "advantage" apparently, according to them. I'm still trying to figure out their logic on that one....maybe it's because of the whole stereotype that gay men are naturally in tune with straight women, therefore they think that carries on into dancing? That's my best guess.

When Bruce got replaced, they complained about the fact that there were two female presenters, instead of one male, one female. They said it made the dynamic unbalanced, and that having two female presenters was weird because it gave off a "lesbian vibe", instead of a balanced straight one- implying that same-sex relationships are somehow naturally unbalanced. :eusa_doh:

#133 Canterpiece, Sep 11, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  14. Rainbows~Exist

When the whole "Call me Caitlyn" thing happened my broether said that if our father was trans he'd "Be disgusted and would cast him out of my life." :icon_sad:

15. nightshift

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Yikes. Definitely 'gay people should all be rounded up on an island and exterminated'.

My family has since come around, thankfully, but I don't think I'll ever quite forget that one. Or how it made me feel at the time.

16. GayPugs

"Trans women (she means men) are just tomboys."-Mom

Hmm...yes. I'm not trans, I'm just a tomboy, even though I like My Little Pony, Littlest Pet Shop, fashion, and a number of other girly things. Nope! Just a tomboy!

Oh and, haha, can't forget my brother, Mr. Homosexuality-Goes-Against-Everything-Natural!

#136 GayPugs, Sep 11, 2016
  17. GayPugs

Also, I was talking to my brother about an agender character in a video game and he said "it" when I told him that was offensive he apologized....and then did it again the day after. And he keeps doing it and I keep telling him it's offensive. Don't forget my dad's brother (I'm embarrassed to call him my uncle) had an interaction with his son that went like this:
    Uncle: "Do you think ____<--(my birth name) will play water-balloons with us?"
    Cousin: *shrug*
    Uncle: "No? Why? Because she's a girl?"
    Cousin: *shrug*
    Me: *turns around and gives death glare to my uncle*
    My cousin is f**king 6 YEARS OLD and I was standing RIGHT THERE when he said that!

18. ERS2016

ERS2016 Guest

When I was something like 10, 11 (I'm not completely sure of the age) I was helping my mum drying dishes and there was a programme that posed the question "what would you do if your son told you he was homosexual"). Completely at random, my mum told me that she would disown me and that's the worst thing I could do, worse than murder even.

At the time, it didn't really seem to impact me as I'd never heard the word before and I didn't even know that gay people existed. I'm 36 now, so this was around the start of the 1990s.

While I didn't realise the significance until I came to realise I was gay, this remains the most offensive and damaging thing that's ever been said to me and I still feel its impact as a deeply closeted person.

19. ABeautifulMind

I had a sort of similar experience as a young kid, with my mom... Around 5 or 6, I got in big trouble for I think the first time in my life. It is the first time I can ever remember being really yelled at. I called my brother a fag. I had no idea what it meant. At all. But I knew it was mean, and he pissed me off somehow... My mom pulled me aside and exploded. Do you know what that means?! How dare you say something so bad about your brother. That is when too boys like each other and have sex, do you think that is ok?! do you think you should be calling your brother THAT?! I can still remember that convo at 29... I didnt even know I liked guys then, so before I knew I was into guys at all, I was already taught that it was terrible.

When I realized I like guys, it TERRIFIED me. Hell it did more than that, but I digress, I had a friend who I had a crush on eventually. We hung out all the time. Well a few years after we had a falling out when i was around 21-23, my mom told me she caught him in our living room with another friend when he thought no one was there, making out (I never even knew he was gay), and the way she spoke of it... I remember listening and just being like a dear in headlights... She then told me, when we always hung out she was so worried I was gay and had no idea what she was going to do about it..She just didnt think she would ever have been ok with it... As if because I quit hanging out all the time with my crush, all risk was gone... I just said "of course not" and walked away as unawkwardly (fake word) as I could..... I was ashamed to lie, but it shocked me to the core to have her so unabashedly say that she basically would not have accepted me if I liked guys.

Those were the worst.... I have gotten more outspoken in the last 5 or 6 years though... I live in the gulf coast area, parents very conservative in the past...However I am VERY progressive.. I am voting Green Party and support over 90% of their VERY progressive plaform. My parents voted for Bush. They are voting Green this election because I have been so outspoken about the issues facing our society, which marriage equality and anti discrimination were MAJOR points/issues... So the explicit homophobic rhetoric stopped, but even so when she said that to me in my early twenties, I knew she would never be accepting of her son having any sort of attraction to guys.

Extended family talks poorly as well, all the time, but i live 4 hours away so I dont hear it a lot... but they are blind accepters of the invisible man in the sky who they say hates gays.... Bible trumps science... Bible trumps logic... But I dont worry about them, because I know they are just terribly ignorant and I havent even bothered going to their place in over 5 years... I have only seen 2 of them in the last 5 years, and only because they came to my town..

Sorry for the novel :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

20. AKindOfMagic

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My dad "Gay men they were once married to women or realised they were gay when they were old are not gay."

#140 AKindOfMagic, Sep 11, 2016