1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

more prominent gender euphoria than dysphoria

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by musicheals315, Mar 16, 2017.

1. musicheals315

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So in my recent quest to determine my gender identity (AFAB, questioning whether i'm just more of a masculine female/soft butch vs non-binary/genderfluid/agender) one of the things that keeps me from being really sure that I am anything other than cis-gendered because I don't feel I've experienced much dysphoria aside from feeling I'd be completely fine with not having boobs and being uncomfortable being seen in any kind of clothing that reveals my feminine features (i.e. wearing baggy clothes). However, I realize that these things could also just be related to body image issues. One thing I have noticed though is particularly strong gender euphoria in many areas (wearing masculine clothing, wearing a more masculine hairstyle, using an STP/imagining using a more realistic looking STP, fantasizing about sexual encounters with male organs, and hoping to be misgendered or catch a glimpse of someone being confused by my gender.) I know that for a lot of people the realization of someone being transgender, it typically stems from gender dysphoria, but is significant gender euphoria for another gender just as good an indicator? I'm almost 100% certain I'm not a trans-male, but really think I identify somewhere on the non-binary or more fluid gender identity, so i don't know if that makes a difference in how much dysphoria one will experience. Thanks in advance!

2. QuinnA

This is how I feel too, I get so happy when people assume I'm male and when I'm wearing "male" clothing, but at the same time I rarely feel gender dysphoria. I dislike my feminine features, but sometimes I even enjoy having my body. Often I worry I identify as genderfluid because of societal restrictions on people AFAB.

However I do identify as genderfluid, because I do go through phases of feeling more female/male, and because the more I accept my new name and pronouns, the more alien my old name and pronouns are becoming to me. I don't experience dysphoria, but I experience gender discomfort and gender euphoria.

Also, everyone experiences transitioning and gender differently. Most trans people will experience dysphoria and want their body to reflect their gender. But most isn't all. You can be trans and like and keep the body you were born with, and that doesn't make you any less trans.

Always remember that it is your body, your gender, and you can identify any way that feels comfortable to you. And it's perfectly fine to keep changing labels until you find one that fits you. It's also fine to search for labels before realizing that you are cis.

I hope this helped. And I wish you luck in figuring yourself out.
    Quinn

3. Irisviel

gender euphoria doesn't exist. It's one of those tumblr terms that come from people's confusion over definitions.

If you experience dysphoria, and you are able to present as your desired gender, you feel obviously happy. Hence, some people decided to coin the term gender euphoria. However it is not a criterion for answering the question of whether one is trans. Gender dysphoria is also poorly understood, because everyone thinks it's just about the body while in fact it is about the whole picture. It's about the well-being of a person being lower because of not being the desired gender. It's quite a no brainer that it brings happy feelings to become the desired gender however that by no means is the cause; it's the effect, and the two cannot be confused.

I would consider thinking whether your happy feelings over presenting masculine are not just those of confidence and strength, in other words, is presenting less feminine making you happy because it is what makes you feel stronger and less vulnerable (which would be linked to perhaps some issues with how you perceive your own femininity, or being a woman in general). Women don't need to be feminine.
    In other words I would explore the idea that perhaps masculine presentation (including the sexual stuff) is in fact a way to feel confident, strong and dominant as opposed to stereotypical feminine traits.

Otherwise, if you have deeper issues with your gender, they would have to be something related to gender dysphoria. And from the multiple labels you used I think you are caught up too much in those, instead of examining things in a more practical sense. Nothing you describe is making me think you have any particular issue with your gender, only makes me want to ask the above questions related to confidence and dominance.

4. GayNurse95

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with Iris. Unless you are feeling distress about your gender that impairs your everyday functioning, then I wouldn't worry about it.
    Labels tend to complicate things a bit too much. Personally, I just see that you're a butch lesbian and just leave it at that. There are several ways to being a man or woman. Just because you break common gender norms doesn't make you a new gender, everyone breaks gender norms at one point.
    If anything, you could look into being a drag king. You might enjoy that.

5. anthracite

anthracite Guest

As far as i can tell, dysphoria sometimes doesn't show what it is. Since I present as male, I feel much more confident and natural. At times, I can even get a positive self-image, something I've struggled with for a long time.

You could go on and experiment, your heart will lead you, as clicheed as it sounds.

6. StormyVale

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would say yes that euphoria does exist... it is feeling happy when gendered by the gender you identify by or with correct gender terms or other gendered things. Gender euphoria is not always a good indicator of being trans though...

Perhaps try experimenting more, and perhaps try recording what gender you are each day. I am AFAB and bigender, so I did this and it helped me both feel more valid in my identity (to know I was switching) and because it helped me to alleviate dysphoria by using gendered terms on days my gender changed. I didn't realize how much dysphoria affected me until I did, and it often gives me gender euphoria when I write it down my gender each day. I think if you try experimenting with using gendered terms for yourself (whatever terms you want) it may help you feel more valid or understand what label you feel you fall under.

Good Luck!

7. musicheals315

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks for all the input! I totally get that I don't NEED a label, but I guess I'm just trying to make sense of myself and using labels help with that. I can definitely see where it may seem like it's just a confidence thing, but I guess where I struggle with that is I know and respect the idea of confident women and feel that dressing more masculine doesn't make me feel more confident as I look like a man, so that makes me strong/confident, I feel more confident because I feel comfortable and happy in those clothes. I guess I feel that I'm realizing more and more how much I repress and compartmentalize my thoughts, that i've wondered if it's possible I've experienced dysphoria without realizing that's what it was? I feel like this may sound weird, but knowing the way my brain works, I could completely see the poor self-esteem and discomfort in the way I look as being dysphoria, without me having a label/awareness of this being a thing. I reached out to a counselor who seems to have experience in gender and sexuality issues, so I'm hoping that I can afford to get in to see her and talking this all out will help.