1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More depressed after being asked two questions

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by LonelyEyesMark, Jul 3, 2021.

1. LonelyEyesMark

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was about to shelve some books at the library I work at and a stranger started talking to me. He asked me if I had children and I answered no. He then asked me if I had a wife and I again could only answer no. He looked surprised to hear both answers. I honestly felt hurt by his questions. They are further reminders that I am behind my siblings and I can’t even get a coffee date with a lady. I don’t know how many more times I can take only answering no every time I get asked those questions.

2. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Markness.....I'm sorry that those questions upset you. The best way to stop having to reply that way is to put yourself out in the public where there are other people. I wrote an answer earlier today to another member in the anonymous sub-forum and suggested that they find groups where they could meet people...church groups, public service groups, etc. You also could get involved helping others in your community and there by meet someone who might be interested in you! :old_smile:
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

3. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Those questions can be annoying because, right after people ask them and if they get the answers you gave them, they show surprise and might make a face. They're being judgmental.

How did this person even come up to you and start making this kind of conversation? Did you find out anything about the person who came up to you and started conversing with you? I wonder what's going on in his head.

I feel you.

4. LonelyEyesMark

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I grew up going to church and attended a Bible study group for half of the summer of 2010 but neither led to me having women interested in me or even having long lasting friendships. I was actually bullied at the church and the last times I’ve gone to any, I just fade into the background because most people in them have company already with them. I honestly don’t ever want to set foot in another church for the rest of my life. :disappointed_relieved:

I’ve attended various Meet Up groups but I always get pushed to the wayside to them. It’s largely because I don’t drink and smoke while most other people do. I am currently in a hiking group but I might leave it because the majority of the women in it are much older than me. They are old enough to be my mother or even grandmother. I also tried volunteering for a museum but the women are again older women and the only young lady gave me the cold shoulder every time. :disappointed:

I really should just kill myself.

5. LonelyEyesMark

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I saw him earlier on the streets with a sign saying he was stuck in the city and needed a ride. He came into the library and saw me with my book cart. He said he was from Cameroon and had been staying in a homeless shelter in Austin. He even showed me a file saying he assaulted a cop. I have a friend from Kenya who lives here and he told me this man may have been trying to see if I could spare him some money or give him a ride somewhere because he says a lot of immigrants to the US down on their luck do stuff like that.

Regardless, I wish he didn’t ask me those questions. It makes me feel sad and suicidal. :disappointed:

6. Unsure77

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For one thing, you’re talking about a permanent solution to potentially temporary problems. It’s still very possible for you to meet someone and have or raise children, if that’s even something you want.

For another thing, your worth as a human being doesn’t hinge on getting married and making babies. They may have been surprised you aren’t married with kids because most people go that path. But it doesn’t mean there’s something wrong with you if you don’t. Those are definitely not things to do just because other people are doing them. Do you even actually WANT children?

Also, have you considered therapy? That might kind of help you with some of these thoughts, help you manage the depression, and maybe help give you ideas for how to pursue finding someone. I’m in therapy for anxiety and (off and on) depression and it really does help.

7. LonelyEyesMark

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am just scared time isn’t on my side. I am 32 and about to turn 33 but can’t even get a simple coffee date while people younger than me are getting married and starting families. I’ve read stories from men much older than me and they never got any relationships despite their best efforts.

It’s not that I am not living up to society’s expectations that I feel sad. It’s not having a special partner to share my life with and doing fun things, especially like going on adventures and making love. I would want some things in my life to be different before it happens but a part of me does make me want to become a father. I really want a longterm girlfriend or wife more, though.

I have been in therapy since 2006.

#7 LonelyEyesMark, Jul 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  8. Unsure77

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is your therapist aware you're having suicidal thoughts? If not, you should probably make them aware sooner than later.

And hold in mind a lot of people don't even TRY to start having kids until they're about the age you are now. You're a man. You're not racing a biological clock. To your own point, historically speaking, there have been men over twice your age now who have made babies. It would be different if you were a 45 year old woman (and even then, I have friends who were women who were in their 40's when they started having kids).

Life is not a race. There will always be people with more than you and people with less who are younger and older than you. There are people who are in their 40's and 50's who are now divorced and are starting over. So, they're essentially where you are, just now with more baggage. There are people older than you who have never been in relationships.

You can't change the past. All you can do is try to get yourself to place where you're ready for a relationship now (starting at the place you are now) and start working on finding someone (which may including figuring out a way to put yourself in a place to find people). Again, those seem like really great therapy topics given how much this is weighing on you. It's literally what I'm working with my therapist on now.

If it makes you feel any better, my 78 year old uncle who lives out in the middle of nowhere just found a wife DURING COVID. His wife died in March and he was re-married by Christmas! My grandmother met her final husband in a nursing home. He was a widower who came to visit his brother-in-law and thought she was cute. She was well into her 70's. If you're not dead, you're not too old. People much older than either of us do it.

Age is not a barrier here.

#8 Unsure77, Jul 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  9. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It sounds like this man has way too much going on for you, who are struggling with depression and sadness, to get involved. I don't know what he had to gain by asking you those questions. Maybe he thought that if you were single and lived alone, you could have helped him out. This all sounds like a heap of trouble. Sometimes, the wrong people approach us and we need to know not to let them in and create more drama in our already difficult lives.

What does your therapist have to say about how things are going for you, how you feel, and how you react to stimuli? I hope that your therapist is helping you.

10. LonelyEyesMark

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I honestly hate how sketchy people approach me, especially at work and in places like parking lots. My older brother and other guys I knew would have women approaching them but instead I get these extremely mentally ill men who want to ask me for money, if they can use my phone, if they can get a ride in my car, and if I believe in the Illuminati. I wish I had told the last person who asked the last thing that he was in my space and to back off since he was leaning way over me while I was shelving books on a low shelf and it was rude.

My therapist knows about my suicidal thoughts. She thinks I am obsessing on wanting a girlfriend and not living in the present moment. It’s hard for me to not think about it because I see couples all the time and it rips me up inside. Why can’t I have a relationship like they do? :disappointed: I also hate how I am pushing 33 and still can’t even get a coffee date. I can’t make friends with benefits either. I feel like a loser.

#10 LonelyEyesMark, Jul 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
  11. LonelyEyesMark

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It happened again. This time it was an older woman who asked me even though she knew me. She thought I was married, though, but the effect the question had on me still hurt. :sweat:

12. Unsure77

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You may have a chicken or egg situation where you need to get yourself to a more positive place mentally for the dating to go well. Easier said than done, I know. I get it. I'm in a similar spot where dates feel impossible to come by. But, to her point, maybe putting dating aside for a minute to work on other goals and then swinging back around later to dating isn't such a bad idea. You're still young! 32 is not old.

13. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't take this the wrong way but the way you react and the effects questions and comments have on you, is in many ways of your own making. You are letting comments and questions dictate your well being, which is just letting you down into the rabbit hole. Why? What purpose is this serving you?

Putting together what you have said in this thread, with what you have stated in your other threads, I cannot see you even being ready for a date. At this point in time, you really should be focusing on yourself, i.e getting to a place (and mindset) that will allow you to start finding somebody to go on a date with. You really need to work on your mental health first!

If your therapist told you that you are obsessing about dating or having a girlfriend, this is something for you to listen to. Follow your therapist's suggestions and ask for feedback on how to live in the moment and enjoy each and one of them. This more than likely will help you to get to a better place. Obsessing about dating and not having a girlfriend is not helping you.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being 32 years old and being single. Enjoy it while it lasts. Make the most of it. As Unsure77 said, work on your other goals in the meantime.

14. CharlieLuca

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Dear Markness,

I'm so sorry you are going through a rough time. Just know you are not alone. Stay Strong and Keep holding on. I really hope you will be ok. From reading this thread you seem like a lovely person. I can tell you're hurting inside. And you know what, so are a lot of people, if not everybody.

I can totally understand why the questions that you got asked upset you. And I can understand why you're upset. I'm sorry I wish I could help you more. But please don't give up hope. You never know what's around the corner. And I kind of agree with Quebec and some other people here in the fact that maybe you should try to put yourself out there more. I admit I don't know much, if anything, about relationships or dating but I am here as a listener and someone who cares.

Please don't give up. You are worthy of love and life and I really really really hope you find love. I'm sure you will.

15. Phantom077

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am very familiar with your current line of thinking. You remind me of me. I can tell you right now that it gets you nowhere. I'm 30 and just had a breakup that left me feeling pretty horrible. The reasoning for why we broke up had to do with my overtly negative attitude and behavior. I was with someone who I was very connected to and I couldn't even enjoy it half the time because of my negativity. Stop doing this to yourself. If you keep up this negative train of thought it will follow you straight into a relationship and poison any connection you're able to create with someone.