1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mom wants me to study Engineering and I don't like it. Help!

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by marga1995, Sep 19, 2018.

1. marga1995

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Second semester is coming and I’m thinking about shifting to another course of study. When I told my parents about my decision, my mom talked to me in private and encouraged me to study Engineering! The thing is, I don’t like it! I hate Engineering to the point of almost failing my Math subject last semester! Since grade school, all I ever wanted was to be a good novelist, that means being a famous writer, contributing articles in newspapers, international dating blogs, magazines, or even in popular periodicals existing today. It just didn’t happen when my father forced me to study tourism. I hate it when my parents decide which path should I go to. I need to decide for myself. I need help. What should I do?

2. Lalayajen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You should have a serious talk with and explain how devoted you are to Literature studies or whatever you are in love with and explain your plans for the future!
    Because it is your future!

3. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's hard to be a famous writer. It's for sure easier to make a living as an engineer. Or as a programmer or statistician. If you hate engineering so much, then why make your life so unpleasant? However, being a writer is a tough path too. Becoming famous is extremly hard to achieve. One in how many people is famous? This fraction is your chance of making it. It's not particularily realistic. So in my opinion both ideas are bad and you should look for a career path which compromises what you like and what can make you a decent living. If you like writing, then maybe translation or law are better ideas? Or psychology? Filmmaking? Writing is a crucial skill, however, it alone may not be enough to earn a wage. What would you like to write about? What else are you interested in?
    What you're good at is also worth considering. That being said, I have little idea about humanities at university level. I saw "engineering" and checked the topic, because I study computer science and felt like maybe I can help.

Drizzle likes this.
  4. smurf

Phew, here is the thing. You can do ALL of those as a hobby on the side. I have friends who get paid to write blogs and think pieces on the side and they do that on top of their other jobs.

I would honestly encourage you to find something that will get you a well paid career and then do what you can on the side. Engineering is tough, but its an excellent career that will guarantee you a great job if you network enough.

Also, have you started writing yet? Have you tried to create your own blogs? This is the age on the internet, you can start creating all of these things right now before you go to college. Go for it!

5. Nightlight

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The thing is you really can't study engineering if you're not good at math. Having zero interest means you're likely to be bad at it. Even if you try and catch up, you're going to have a really hard time. Nearly failing math sets off a red flag for me. Can you compete against e who really like math and physics, and have excelled in those subjects?

You could absolutly pursue writing related fields, but if you're worried about job prospects, look for other fields that you're sure to pass at least. Social work, education(in english maybe?), law, psychology...etc

6. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think you should do what you want to do. I'm one of those people who says to follow your heart. Don't do something you hate. I'm actually going to be a writer too. I think you should major in something that will help you get there and make you happy.

7. marga1995

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have decided to have a sit down with my parents on this one and I am greatly hoping that they will support me on whatever it is that I want to pursue in life. I am a bit doubtful on that though. My parents are the kind of people who would want you to do what they want but because of your words of encouragement, I am somehow given strength to have a talk with them and explain myself for the first time in my life. Honestly, I have always followed what they ask of me and this will be the very first time that I don't want to do so. I'm just really hoping for positive results. anyway, thank you everyone.