1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mom becoming comfortable with sexuality

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by reov3596, Jan 5, 2012.

1. reov3596

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am out to my mom, in fact she's the one who asked me if I was gay. Of course I told her the truth and she seemed okay with it, just concerned due to her limited knowledge of the subject. I still think that she is holding out for me to one day come home with a girl I'm engaged to and have a normal happy family with two kids and a dog. I am asking for advice on how to get her to understand, and how I can gain the ability to converse with her when I get a boyfriend or something and I want to go to his house.

I guess I'm saying, how do I get her to realize that I'm just the same as a hetero, I just happen to like guys?

2. Hidinginalabama

First of all that's awesome that your mom is so accepting. And there is a group that may be able to help your mom. It's called PFlag. They are great people that helped and are still helping my family. There are also a lot of books out there that can help. But the one thing you don't want to hear I know is that you have to give her time. I was the same way for some time tring to push them to under stand that it wasn't a phase or a lie. That I am really gay. But pushing won't get you anywhere so just give her some time and she will come around to under stand. Again you are a amazing person for coming out at your age and even where you live. I know how it is living in the south.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I think perhaps your age has something to do with it. She may believe (wrongly) that 14 is too young to know, or clinging to the hope that "it's a phase."

But that's OK. She's still accepting, and i think if you just gently mention when you're meeting a boy (same as a straight guy would mention meeting a girl), she'll get the picture and go along with it. It just takes a little time sometimes.