1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Mississippi's first openly gay mayoral candidate found murdered, dumped on riverbank.

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by therunawaybff, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Lez

Lez

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Re: Mississippi's first openly gay mayoral candidate found murdered, dumped on riverb

Heard about this on the news...but didn't catch that he was the 1st openly gay mayoral candidate....how terrible! I hope they catch whoever killed him. Makes those of us that are still in the closet wonder about coming out....

2. Re: Mississippi's first openly gay mayoral candidate found murdered, dumped on riverb

This was beyond tragic and despicable. But so is the news coverage. That link is to a paper in the UK, in a country that gave birth to modern democracy, a man was killed for seeking political office while gay, and our own media turns a blind eye to it.

3. therunawaybff

Re: Mississippi's first openly gay mayoral candidate found murdered, dumped on riverb

Word dude. I didn't say anything in my OP, but that's honestly one of the things that bothered me the most about it. Seems like American papers didn't even pick up on the story until someone was already charged for the murder.

4. sguyc

Lets not jump to conclusions. There is no evidence that he was attacked for his sexuality.

5. Gold Griffin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual

According to one article on CNN, his mother said that she did not believe that his sexuality was widely known. So we can't be sure of the motivation yet. But that doesn't mean that someone couldn't have found out or suspected.

6. therunawaybff

7. Aldrick

8. LadyDaae

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people

Jesus Christ, that's terrifying. I remember when I did a paper on hate crimes and how there's a lack of those laws in good ol' Oklahoma, there were a lot of pretty heinous things done but I never found anything on murders. How many bad things have to happen to LGBT people before some red-state governors look around and go, "something has to be fixed here" ? Like seriously even when I was perpetually taught that being gay was sinning, I still never saw the sense in omitting sexuality and gender from hate crime laws.

This is just sick. Stories like this truly break my heart.

9. Quisto

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people

I read about this a couple days ago. It is a very frightening incident, but then again, it's not too surprising to hear about this happening in a place like Mississippi. The southern U.S. is ridiculous. I can't wait to move away from this area.

10. Ardelia

Ardelia Guest

This is unbelievable, to kill a human being, because of his sexuality is beyond barbarism.
    There is so much hate in this world, and we can't seem to brake a vicious circle.
    They say we are sick ,disgusting, and for that we are going to burn in hell.
    But they are the ones who reject us, make us scared for our lives, make us ashamed of ouselves.
    Those heterosexuals are nothing but a glorified crew, to tell you truth.
    And our shame is unnatural, not our sexuality, it's our shame that's imposed on us by the half civilized society we live in.

11. SkyColours38

Just when we get our hopes up for more worldwide equality...

12. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

This is awful. I really hoped that we would be on the road towards something good, but I'm proben wrong again.

13. JuanJose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

This is just awful... gay or not it was someone's life taken from them and no one has a right to do that. I really hope the guy who did it gets locked away forever.