1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mirror vs Front camera?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by iHeartYouu, Nov 3, 2014.

1. iHeartYouu

I look good in the mirror but hideous in photos, expecially in the front camera.. Am I the only one? So which is the truth?

2. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People see themselves more in the mirror. It is not the true you, it's a mirrored picture of yourself. It usually makes us feel more comfortable, because we think that is who we are. =)

In a picture, people usually don't like themselves, as they are "not like that", when in fact, they are!

You are not the only one. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: My boyfriend doesn't really like a picture of me, and we figured out it was a picture shot in the mirror, thus it was mirrored. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: And I thought it did look like me, but he says it looks different than me. :lol: But I'm beginning to appreciate pictures of myself in pictures. =)

*edit*

Here's a link with more information:

http://io9.com/why-do-we-hate-seeing-photos-of-ourselves-1450081943

#2 Quem, Nov 3, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  3. Shaded

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't picture well either but I look fine on video. I think it's because even though you're standing still looking in the mirror, you're moving and seeing your whole face. while in a picture it only gets part of your face.

4. Blossom85

I don't really like how I look much in a mirror, photos when I am looking nice, my hair is done and I might have light make up on is okay.. But if it's when I am not expecting it and I am in crappy clothes or hair not done, I don't like photos either.

5. iHeartYouu

Haha, i don't like photos, 9/10 times i look bad, maybe its just me im not photogenic but i find videos okay

6. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I don't take bad photos. I just don't take photos.

LOL!

7. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I used to be like that. Now I look good in pictures.

8. Ouzo

Ouzo Guest

Front camera and back have different angles

9. Hexagon

Photos aren't 3d, and I think that has something to do with it.

10. AlamoCity

@Quem is right.

If you have a smartphone, download an app like "True Mirror" that will show you how others perceive you when you look at yourself using the front-facing camera.

11. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    I rarely have photos taken, but the other day I did because I was in my Halloween costume and my mother when looking back at them commented that I never look like myself in photos. Granted I'm not supposed to look like myself when wearing enough face paint to make the Joker roll his eyes, but this isn't the first time it's been said, several others have mentioned it. Like a few years back I was going to this event and there was a girl I'd spoken to online who was also attending, the first thing she said (sounding surprised) when we met: 'You're really pretty! Your photo is a bit ... meh.'

12. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do not think I look that good in a smartphone camera, but it depends on the lighting and the angle. Same with a mirror--right after I get up in the morning, I think I look pretty bad. But there are times throughout the day where I look at myself in the mirror and am impressed with what I see :wink:

13. LiquidSwords

This is pretty interesting! I always prefer myself in the mirror than in photos and now it makes sense!

I just tested it too. On an iphone if you use front facing on the camera app it does proper image of you but in snapchat it takes a mirror image, I just tried both and I'm much happier with the snapchat picture so

So I'm not as ugly in pictures as I think.. or at least that's what I look like to other people all the time anyway :lol:

14. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh god this...I hate pictures usually the mirror is much more flattering lol I never really liked my face that much anyway.

15. Ruthven

i think the camera can fuck with your face

Face distortion is not due to lens distortion | Daniel's Visionarium

whether it's lenses or the geometry thing or whatever

[​IMG]

^ i mean are you gonna tell me all of these is what he really looks like?? the camera is not always right

i think mirror's accurate, it's literally reflecting your image, and the camera can fuck with your features. i've noticed with my old cam that if i have it at like arm's length it'll capture what i look like. if i have it closer it distorts my features